Recent content by mikeh25

1. M

Ball rule?

Jobu will come and take the fear out of the ball. Just don't drink Jobu's rum.
  2. M

Help Please

If they have not played a ball & stick game before now, a time machine may be what you really need - depending on the level of play around your area and what your girls' goals are. If they are transitioning from slowpitch then their mechanics may need a lot of work to be able to get the bat...
  3. M

ASA Passed a base without touching it

Thanks, this is exactly what I saw - lead foot on the ground past the base. If there is a place where ASA has this written down I would love to have a reference. I had the correct call for the correct reason, then I blew it by listening to my partner. The good news is that the offended...
  4. M

ASA Passed a base without touching it

In a situation where a batter-runner does not actually touch 1B when is she considered to have "passed" it? Situation: League play, ASA-ish, 10&U FP. Only a single white 1B. No outs, R1 on 3rd. Play: Batter hits slow ground ball to F5. She runs to 1B missing the base - clearly has lead...
  5. M

Girls fastpitch coaching question

This or quit coaching rec-ball in an everyone-plays league. Whatever your tactic, in rec you are going to have players that will never come around - because they do not want to or they just don't have the skills.
  6. M

Break from softball

Heretic! :D
  7. M

ASA Double play or not

Of course - by saying "I" in my earlier post, I ment that I would have my players perform the actual appeal. Too often I refer to things my teams have done as things that "I" have done, when it is the hard work of a bunch of kids, not the actions of tired old coach, that win games. I wonder...
  8. M

ASA Double play or not

I am not sure about what you were saying about a manager/defense not having the right to appeal anything that happens on the field. If leaving the field of play does not remove the defense's right to appeal R2 not taging up then, as soon as the defense was back on the field the manager...
  9. M

ASA Double play or not

She did touch home. This is what I thought would be correct but it is not what happened. As it was, the defense retook the field and played on. However, the PU also stated that the defense lost their ability to make an apeal when they left the field. If I were the manager of the...
  10. M

ASA Double play or not

An interesting situation: ASA Fastpitch. One out, R2 on 3rd. Batter hits line drive to F3 who catches it in-flight for out # 2. R2, who left with the pitch, goes home without tagging up. F3 throws to F5 for the appeal, but F5 was not touching 3rd base when she caught the ball...
  11. M

USSSA base dislodged... dead ball

Was the tag applied with a controlled ball prior to the ball being knocked out of the glove?
  12. M

Anybody play GSA?

Where are you? GSA (Global Sports Authority) started in Georgia a few years ago and is fairly successful in getting local teams that are in transition from rec to travel, to play. They do offer several levels of competition for each age division to keep teams from being overwhelmed. The...
  13. M

bat for a 5 year old

I think everyone is missing the point: If she is just starting at 5, it is too late. If she has not been playing travel/select ball for at least a season no team will pick her up. The best thing to do at this age if you are just starting is to have her drop out of kindergarten and send her...
  14. M

USSSA Ball is in play...

An interesting, learned, thought out and reasonable response. Around here, the clock is a part of nearly every game - tournament championship games (games, not the entire tourny) are the only inning limited games. As an additional insult to the game we are now starting to see IF games...
  15. M

USSSA Ball is in play...

Wouldn't this: (or any of the other actions mentioned) Bring this: