Hard cores are ruining USSSA softball

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, everything I've seen is for that side of the hand. One had a little passing on the base if the ring finger, but stopped well before this.

If I didn't say it earlier, all of my hand issues have come after going two in the pinky, so I'm going back to regular as well. It felt so weird Saturday, but I was also using a 1b mitt. Didn't get hit on it, but mitts are mostly for pinky protection too.

I got something that's like the palm pad pad, but it slides on like a ring and I'm just going to move it down to my last two fingers. So far I've tried sting stop, and two different without gloves, but wasn't wearing any of them for league.
I've done two in the pinky and wear a palm guard since I moved to the IF from the OF. I've found it helps a lot.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, is have a hard time deciding which I think is worse for the game between the hard cores and the dhh. We hit five hrs that counted in our first game in e. That's nuts, plus you have to put it on a tee or they get a free one?
DHH in E only promotes sandbagging. Just played a team this weekend who's DHH was on an E team least year that got bumped to D. He switched teams and now DHHs for another E team.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
No. I don't know the name of the guy I'm talking about. The guy you're referring to hits the **** out of the ball for sure but was not their hitter on Saturday.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
DHH in E only promotes sandbagging. Just played a team this weekend who's DHH was on an E team least year that got bumped to D. He switched teams and now DHHs for another E team.
And there's a high demand for them to do that because you can't compete in e without a dedicated dhh.

Ours hit more Saturday than all of ours combined had hit all year so far. He's a country strong kid who's been with us for for years and we finally just said, didn't try to hit it out, just Hit it hard and it finally worked. He's a little like nuke in bull Durham to be honest.

If rather play utrip with no dhh, but gsl is about five to one here.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done two in the pinky and wear a palm guard since I moved to the IF from the OF. I've found it helps a lot.
It helps my fielding, but it's killing my fingers on the hot shots I can't get in the pocket .

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
It helps my fielding, but it's killing my fingers on the hot shots I can't get in the pocket .
Weird. Since I went to TIP it's actually saved my hands, esp the bottom knuckle on the index finger. Wondering what quality of glove you are using? A2K or A2000 1799 here and won't use anything lesser quality wise. Vinci is borderline, I just don't like the 13.5" one I have. Most of the "custom" gloves I wouldn't touch if they paid me to.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans

Weird. Since I went to TIP it's actually saved my hands, esp the bottom knuckle on the index finger. Wondering what quality of glove you are using? A2K or A2000 1799 here and won't use anything lesser quality wise. Vinci is borderline, I just don't like the 13.5" one I have. Most of the "custom" gloves I wouldn't touch if they paid me to.
Like I said, I do TIP. It has helped my fileding and dramatically reduced injuries when I manage to get the ball into the glove.

This is pretty close to my glove:

This is my palmguard:
Markwort Palmgard Xtra Inner Glove, Black https://a.co/d/8Vor1Ze

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Worked my first game with someone hitting Hard Cores yesterday. Worked a small tourney in Chicago where they play the Windy City Major. D team comes out and I hear the pitcher for the other team talking about the ball feels weird. They're hitting Hard Cores. Playing GSL rules so they get a DHH. End up hitting 4 HRs that counted in the first inning, and hit IEOs in four of the five innings before they got run ruled. The manager didn't listen when he was told to stop hitting them, it's way too much ball for tournament players on 300 ft fields.

This. Teams in CO almost all hit hard cores now. Everyone from E to B. These people are idiots. They blow through all their HRs in the 1st inning, hit a ton of DBOs, and still insist on using hard cores.

I also saw multiple guys go 450'+ for DBOs and claim they didn't mean to hit it out. These were absolute nukes that were going into the next county. Hard cores are out of control, and really have ruined the game here in CO. My thoughts on that haven't changed a bit.

One thing I will say.... these balls will GREATLY test anyone's ability to keep the ball down and control it. If you fluff underneath one of these even a little bit it's not staying in the yard.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Like I said, I do TIP. It has helped my fileding and dramatically reduced injuries when I manage to get the ball into the glove.

This is pretty close to my glove:

This is my palmguard:
Markwort Palmgard Xtra Inner Glove, Black https://a.co/d/8Vor1Ze
I used to use a palmgard but haven't needed it since TIP was introduced to me. While I don't think ANY position in slowpitch should use a glove smaller than 12.75", I unfortunately have average sized hands and can't really use anything bigger than that either, at least not comfortably where it feels natural. These dudes with 15" gloves are a joke to me - and am not a fan of them being in the game. I wish we enforced the glove "size" rules; but I'm also old and get off my lawn guy at this point I guess.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, is have a hard time deciding which I think is worse for the game between the hard cores and the dhh. We hit five hrs that counted in our first game in e. That's nuts, plus you have to put it on a tee or they get a free one?
Yes is the answer. Both are horrible and why I refuse to do any of the "higher level" GSL tournaments. I really don't want to try and keep track of who the hitter is, did they walk the last time and all of that crap. I'll stick with USSSA. Had a guy that was a DHH on Sunday that had a Conference level swing, I was told he's a decent outfielder too. He hit two that were over 400 and every bit as hard hit as some of the major guys I've umped.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to use a palmgard but haven't needed it since TIP was introduced to me. While I don't think ANY position in slowpitch should use a glove smaller than 12.75", I unfortunately have average sized hands and can't really use anything bigger than that either, at least not comfortably where it feels natural. These dudes with 15" gloves are a joke to me - and am not a fan of them being in the game. I wish we enforced the glove "size" rules; but I'm also old and get off my lawn guy at this point I guess.
I have a 12" that I used for SS/MI and a 14" that I used in the OF. I bought the 12.75" for 3B bc the other two just weren't right iver there and that kinda became my spot. Now whenever I play any position I use the 12.75. The other two gloves just take up space in my bag anymore.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yes is the answer. Both are horrible and why I refuse to do any of the "higher level" GSL tournaments. I really don't want to try and keep track of who the hitter is, did they walk the last time and all of that crap. I'll stick with USSSA. Had a guy that was a DHH on Sunday that had a Conference level swing, I was told he's a decent outfielder too. He hit two that were over 400 and every bit as hard hit as some of the major guys I've umped.

You basically have C (or higher) level hitters lurking in E just so they can be DHH.:eek:

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Bauer street hockey wrist bands with the plastic insert help a LOT!
Saved me a broken wrist on Sat. Teams were able to hit any legal USSSA ball and there were a mix of Pro M's and Classic M's. Mid-60's and sunny. Hard line drive above my right shoulder - as my left arm moves to attempt to field it, it naturally crosses my face and shields my vision (it's all reaction anyway) but I extend too far and take it square on the wrist. Half my hand went numb immediately and I thought it could be broken at first, but then feeling came back fairly quickly and ended up with just a bruise (a little sore today). Didn't come out and didn't affect me too much the rest of the day. Chalk one up for the wrist guard!!! I highly recommend them for anyone who plays in the dirt. I've always worn them for the bad hops, but saved me on this liner.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The broken hand last year and both of these shots were in a Rawlings. Not hoh it they're mid tier, but not gamer either. I can not come up with the name right now.

I've got a r9 Rawlings and an ssk to try this year. The r9 has more padding and seems thicker leather as well.