2018 Flipper OG Questions

Discussion in 'DeMarini' started by Dukesnmbr1, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Dukesnmbr1

Dukesnmbr1 New Member

In my travels on this site I’ve seen a ton of people recommend the 18 USAM, but the only real comments I see on the 18 OG is sparingly someone says ”these may have durability issues.”

Is this a common theme among owners, or has it gone relatively unproven? They’re on sale everywhere right now for relatively cheap so I was thinking about trying one out. I’m a base hit, keep it in the park, and opposite field guy, so I don’t need some crazy endload or “hottest out of the wrapper evvaaarrr.” It seems like people felt the 2016 was great, but after that I’m not seeing much traffic. Also, does it seem to swing heavier than sticker? Thinking maybe I just need to step down the weight.

Why I’m asking:

I used to have a DeMarini One, it was a solid and I liked the way it swung. Currently have a wide variety of bats that I can’t seem to get comfortable with but a few people on the team love.

2018 Worth EST balanced 27 oz (I’m consistent but it doesn’t feel like I’m on the sweet spot, feels a bit odd to me)
    2017 BB legit 27 oz (the main go to - but everyone else loves it too, may not make it another full season)
    2017 Juggy 27 oz (can’t hit it solid to save my life. Definitely not broken in, but I just can’t get the barrel on the ball properly, also feels a bit heavy)
    2016 psycho asa Supermax 26 oz (no pop, maybe it’s me, nobody else swings it)
    2015 USSSA psycho Supermax 27 oz (less than 100 swings, not good for opposite field for me, but when you hit the sweet spot I love it, just can’t use it in my league)
    2018 Bombardier 28 oz (good out of the wrapper, I can hit it well but I hate having to buy a separate warranty I don’t trust)

I’m assuming the durability will be no worse than my 2017/2018 worth lines, but looking for some input on a bat I can trust will hopefully last a while.

I’ve searched quite a bit, but haven’t really turned up what I was looking for, so I apologize in advance if this has been asked 4,000 times already.

2. hitless45

hitless45 Addicted to Softballfans

Comments that you've read are opinions from those guys on whatever bat it is being talked about, seems you have the means to purchase, try different bats.. some like 16 am's some like 17's some don't, imo all am's are solid choices be it the usam or the og again (my opinion) durability should not be an issue as you've said you are a base hitter not power hitter as far as weighting both the usam and og are typically very close to sticker weight and some being slightly under sticker.. i would say since they are priced well now give one a try and see how it actually does/ feels for you..

Dukesnmbr1, D-ROCK13, Normy and 2 others like this.
  3. jkwoody22

jkwoody22 League ball huer

The ogs always feel midloaded to me, I remember the fu dawg and one dual stamp felt the same weighting, but I never swung a black one utrip, the usa’s all felt like a slight endload half ounce, I wouldn’t worry about durability if hitting only 52’s, the last one I had was a 16 blue og and hit about 100 44’s off a tee to loosen it up, but I wouldn’t game against those balls, they never felt ready out of the wrapper, they could be gtg, but I thought a few swings to break them in was better, I haven’t hit an og since then, had a 17 USA and felt the same, needed a little tee work, the longer barrel worth/miken where more fragile out of the wrapper imo

Dukesnmbr1 likes this.
  4. Dukesnmbr1

Dukesnmbr1 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something crazy wrong with the 18s that I was missing. Been thinking about the 18 OG or an 18 Harvey. Forgot to list I have a mutation as well, so kind of want to step away from the worth investments and give the DeMarini side another shot.

5. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

if you like demarini, wanna try omega 28oz? it hits both 52 and hard balls really well and very durable. If interested, i'll trade you for that bombardier.

this is the thread talking about it.
    http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/omega.1434433/