2018 Worth Legit XL Review (Harvey)

Discussion in 'Worth' started by saintrules, Jun 20, 2018.

1. saintrules

saintrules Member

First off, I am aware there's another thread on this bat, but I don't feel like hijacking it with my lengthy post.

Just got my 2018 Worth Legit XL Ryan Harvey ASA and could not be more excited. It has been a lengthier process in finding the right bat, but I believe I have found my gamer for the time being. Big thanks to guys like chile and shortyellowbus for helping out with some tips/suggestions.

Unwrapped the stick yesterday afternoon and used it for about 50 cuts in the cage (soft toss 52/300) and then in two ASA games where myself, as well as most of my team, used the bat.

Graphics
    I am definitely someone who prefers to have their color scheme or looks in a bat. The Harvey is not my absolute favorite (fan of red/black/grey) with the purple and orange, but it does stand out, which is something I do like. One nit picky thing is that the orange bat tape dirties up VERY quickly...it was basically blackish by the end of the first game from black batting gloves, dirt, etc. I do find the Worth logo on the middle section piece a cool touch, adds nice aesthetics.

Feel
    I ordered my Harvey in a 26. I am not a big fan of endloads and prefer a stick that feels balanced up and down instead of sledge hammer like. I'll tell you what...I could NOT be more impressed with the overall feel of this thing. The swing is fluid through the zone, but it's workable, you don't have to start your swing and pray the ball floats to your zone, you can wait on it and location control your swing while still getting enough oomph behind it to smack one. There isn't as much of a trampoline effect like the Juggy OVL gave, but given the three piece technology of the bat, you're still getting that flex and limited feedback. Speaking of feedback, the bat isn't going to help a great deal in figuring out what you did wrong. Given the barrel length and sweet spot length, it's fairly forgiving.

Performance
    When I tried my first bat ('17 Easton Flex) earlier this spring, it was a dud, absolutely NO pop out of the wrapper. When I tried my second ('18 Juggy OVL), I was like, "alright, I kinda see what this hot out of wrapper thing is about". Little did I actually understand what hot out of the wrapper actually means... This bat was on fire from the second I peeled my wrapper off and it just got better through BP and the two live games. The sweetspot on the 13.5" barrel is big and it was line drives galore for my club last night. Little guys, big guys, power hitters, contact hitters, it didn't matter, everyone got up there, could use the bat, and make a solid connection. We had contact guys who haven't hit over left field's head in the last two seasons knocking it to the warning track in left center. The combination of power and being able to location drive your shots gives this thing a massive 5/5 in performance.

Durability
    Minus the bat tape getting dirty, I didn't notice any other issues. No webbing or chips, just ball marks and that's about it. I will not touch this thing with anything but a 52/300 ASA ball, so if anything does happen, it will strictly be an issue with the bat, not with user ignorance.

Future
    It's been a long journey finding the right stick, that's for sure, but I am ridiculously excited to get out on the field again and smack with this thing. If there's anything I will say, it's that I am aware bats are very user preference/opinionated, but I do urge those looking for an EL stick that feels balanced to check this or the EST XL out, I think you'll be impressed.

I'll add some more updates as the days and games move on...'till next time.

#1 saintrules, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. ichiromoco

ichiromoco Addicted to Softballfans

That didn't make me regret my order for one I placed on Saturday.I don't know why you have your stats posted though.

3. saintrules

saintrules Member

Definitely man, looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Not sure what you're talking about ;)

4. jhitman

jhitman Well-Known Member

Great write up......I just started breaking in mine and it's getting better and better each day. I also agree with you on some of the heavier endloads. The Harvey has a nice 1/2 ounce endload but the bat swings so smoothly you hardly notice it. I took the grip off as soon as I opened mine and replaced it with black bat tape.

5. ichiromoco

It will be interesting to see because I typically like balanced bats to hit all fields with. Something has to make me at least consider putting away my usssa z1k every now and than..I have to give another bat a chance. Typically it's 5 swings and right back to the Z.

6. saintrules

saintrules Member

That was pretty much my main focus in this bat...something as close to being balanced as I could possibly get (but not balanced). The 1/2 el like jhitman said makes a massive difference, in addition to the stick in a 26 oz. What weight did you order?

7. jhitman

I had a Z-1000 too and it was hard to put it down. I finally had to sell it as it was losing it's pop after 3,000 or so swings. I tried the Z2, Z3 etc and none of them were close to as hot as the OG Z1. Even if you stick with the Z1 the Harvey is a great bat to have waiting in the wings.

8. jhitman

I had been hitting a friend's Miken ASA Supermax and love the way the ball jumps off of that bat. The problem was the heavy endload for me. As the night's games wore I started dragging the bat through the hitting zone. That's why the 1/2 ounce Harvey endload suits me better. I too got mine in 26 ounces.

9. saintrules

saintrules Member

Honestly that thing feels more like a 1.5+ oz EL than a 1 oz, there's not a single heavier swinging bat on the market that I have tried.

10. jhitman

I agree, but if you can swing it without messing up your swing it delivers a powerful blow. Hit my DC41 USSSA bat in last week's games. Hit a deep ball to LC that hit off the fence. The next AB hit what was an almost identical shot and it cleared the fence by 15'. The DC41 is still relatively new so maybe it's not fully broken in, but that Supermax was impressive.

11. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

Are you referring to the DC41 ASA?

12. saintrules

saintrules Member

Exactly

13. 96packers

96packers OG Titletown

Unrelated.... but been trying to track down a 17 EST XL 27 or a DC41 27 ASA's with no luck so guessing the Harvey is the way to go

BTW nice review

ShortYellowBus likes this.
  14. Jusrah99

Jusrah99 Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!

Damn, sorry bro! Just sold my 17’ with the 18’ i had in my other post...

15. jhitman

Yes. It has one of the heaviest endloads I've seen.

bird25 likes this.
  16. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

That’s what I loved about the EST XXL from last year.... and it’s purple :D

dunkky likes this.
  17. 96packers

96packers OG Titletown

PST like? ;) :cool:

18. chile

chile woo.

if only...if only

19. jhitman

I've got about 150 swings or more on the Harvey ASA and damn I like this bat. It has that same click sound like the old orange Combat Derby Boys. Most of the bats when I'm in games here have that thud sound with the mushy 52's but not this one. It may be psychological, but I really like that click sound coming off the bat.

Normy likes this.
  20. saintrules

saintrules Member

Game canceled (Wednesday), Game canceled (Thursday), Game canceled (Friday)...

Guess Mother Nature doesn't want me to use the Harvey. :(

I did notice the sound it made as well, at least, it was much more significant than my Easton Flex and Juggy OVL. Has a satisfying pop to it.

21. ichiromoco

Ghost had similar sound...Put about 30 swings on a 27oz off a tee into a net so don't know what to expect in a game but so far....I like. Trying not to get too hyped..yet.

22. Dars

Dars Addicted to Softballfans

My ASA DC41 feels like I am hitting .44s when I hit .52s. Ball absolutely jumps off the bat, feels like hitting a golf ball.

23. 96packers

96packers OG Titletown

I like the sound of that! Have one coming this week!

24. HarryL Southpaw

HarryL Southpaw Addicted to Softballfans

What are the differences between the 2018 Harvey ASA and 2017 Legit USA Border Battle ASA? I just picked up a Border Battle and really am liking it.

25. Jusrah99

Jusrah99 Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!

Some guys say theres some handle Flex in the BB. They felt identical to me...loved em both...but i kept the Harvey cause the paint

26. saintrules

saintrules Member

On the description it says it uses Flex 100 technology on the BB compared to Flex 50 tech on the Harvey...like Jusrah said, probably a minimal difference in flexiness of the handle.

Gotta hand it to the BB, paint job is pretty fire

#26 saintrules, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  27. jhitman

Put another 50-60 swings on it yesterday and will be gaming it this week. The Harvey with the 1/2 ounce endload fits my swing perfectly. Not one complaint so far.

28. saintrules

saintrules Member

Since Mother Nature decided to pick a fight with me last week, I haven't had a chance to get the Harvey back in live games. I put it through two soft toss sessions with 52/300 balls and will get a chance for three live games over the next two days (fingers crossed).

Graphics

Everything is still in tact, though the orange bat tape is damn dirty by now, nearly black in certain spots from my batting gloves. The white painting in spots is roughed up from some dirtier balls, but it is what it is. I'm still a fan of the orange paint and the purple accents...very Clemsonish.

Feel
    For what I was looking for, the stick has proven to be off the charts when it has come to feel. I've been working a lot of oppo lately in the cage and the ability I have to drive the ball late down the first base line is something I just could not do with my former bats. When I want or need the feel of a balanced bat, this delivers in full. When I want or need the power of an EL'd bat, I can trust it's going to Grown Folks Territory deep center.

Performance
    The exit velocity of the balls coming off the bat has increased since peeling the wrapper off. Since the SS is so big, I haven't many issues with missing my hits and it has been rather forgiving as long as it isn't on the handle or right on the tip of the bat. Back to EV, this thing is a screamer. Honestly, some hits in the cage have been so quick that I wouldn't dare using this bat in live BP on the field without a net for the pitcher, it can absolutely put a hurting on someone.

Durability
    The bat has definitely webbed up now, there's no question about that. I'd assume I am somewhere near 150-175 hacks on the bat, so that'll give you an idea. The webbing doesn't concern me, afaik people say it's a good thing? Either way, no cracks or dents, just some ball marks and that's about it.

Future
    Three live games coming in this week, more updates by Wednesday.

#28 saintrules, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  29. HarryL Southpaw

HarryL Southpaw Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks for the feedback. So it's just paint schemes that are different with a slight flex....interetesting. ( I love the BB paint!!).

And coulda fooled me there was any flex in my BB haha! I could hardly tell. Thanks again guys.

30. jhitman

Just hit my Harvey ASA in games last night for the first time since getting it 2 weeks ago. My teammate and I hit 3 out between us. Considering we are both 60 years old, temps were in the low 90's with about 75% or more humidity I was impressed with the way it hits the 52's. This will be my gamer going forward. Love the feel of the bat and it just swings smooth.

saintrules likes this.