Any reservation buying a used bat?

Discussion in 'ASA' started by Ghost_SRT, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ghost_SRT

Ghost_SRT New Member

I have been out of the game a loooooong time. Played D-1 baseball in college in early 90's and got on a couple real good traveling teams in late 90's and early 2000's but hung it up in about 2003 and moved on to some other sports (racquetball, triathlons and mtn biking). I had the good fortune in playing in some fun tourneys (Smokey Mtn and Pick o Dixie in TN) a few years back in the day. I have decided to play in a 49+ league a couple nights a week near me (I'll be 49 this summer) but I literally have not picked up a bat or a ball since 2003. Took a few swings this weekend and my swing is a rusty gate lol. I swung a 28oz Juggy today (white with red graphics I think) and it felt heavy. Or that might have just been my swing, not sure. League rules says bat has to have ASA stamp and we hit 44/trump rocks I think. I am not familiar with those balls. I am thinking of picking up something used but was wondering if that is a bad idea or just a good way to buy a bat at a discount, but likely w/o warranty or replacement. I am guessing I need a 27oz but I really just need to get more swings and get swing back a bit. I keep reading the 44/375 is hard on bats but I prolly need any extra pop a bat has at this point in my late career return to the diamond. I'll probably use it for some BP but primarily league two nights a week. Tourneys are doubtful til I get in better game shape. I always swung a 28oz and we mostly hit with techfires, and Worth EST's. I did like feel of the composite flex more than the rest.

Thanks in advance for any feedback -

Scotth36 likes this.
  2. hitless45

hitless45 Addicted to Softballfans

If your league is in fact using 44's any bat made from 2017 on (non linear) will not last very long especially if you plan to bp with it.. sound like you were using a cl22 juggy aka cluggy which is a decent choice when hitting 44's , 2015 and prior as well as recent dual stamp bats will be your best bet if you are looking for durability..

Ghost_SRT likes this.
  3. Party mafia

Party mafia Well-Known Member

try to find a demarini J3a ri, since that bat is makes for the 44 and 52 cor balls.

Ghost_SRT likes this.
  4. MaStEr IrOc

MaStEr IrOc Member

5. tonys1

tonys1 Active Member

The reviews section of this site were a great deal of help for me. Look under archives and then click on ASA. They’re sorted by ranking and you can read users’ reviews on those bats. If anything catches your eye either post a LTB post or PM me, I have most of those bats in the list. Good luck!

Ghost_SRT and hitless45 like this.
  6. hitless45

hitless45 Addicted to Softballfans

Ghost_SRT and tonys1 like this.
  7. Ghost_SRT

Ghost_SRT New Member

Thanks for all the info! Tony I will probably reach out to you with a few questions. I am still reading over the league rules while thinking about how much my shoulder hurts from a bunch of long throws yesterday after literally not throwing in 12+ years lol. Rotator Cuff and Labrum repair in 2009 also not helping.

This league uses a pitching screen which is new for me but cool I suppose since I have seen too many guys get blistered unintentionally. If you hit the screen its a foul ball.

More rules:

Ball: 44/375 Trump Rock - is this a decent ball? I always thought the higher core (50's) were harder balls.

21. Pitching Arc: CSSA will use a pitching arc of six to twelve feet. That is a pitch must be at least 6 feet in height and be less than 12 feet in height, measured from the ground, to be ruled a legal pitch. This rule supersedes any other rule by any other organization.

22. Pitching Box: The pitcher will be allowed to pitch in an area between the pitching rubber and up to six feet behind the pitching rubber, toward second base. The width of the pitching area will be equal to the width of the pitching rubber.

23. Pitching Mat: A pitched ball of the proper arc when striking either the traditional home plate or the extended mat shall be called a strike.

24. Home Run Limit: "Over the Fence" home runs will be limited to two per game until the other team has also hit two. After each team has hit two "over the fence" home runs, they will be allowed to hit additional "over the fence" home runs on a "one up basis". Excess "Over the Fence" home runs will be treated as a hit (single) and runners will advance as with any other hit. The batter will be given credit for a hit in the statistics.

Bats: Only Amateur Softball Association (ASA) approved bats are sanctioned for use in games. In no case will ASA banned bats be allowed for use in "open" practices or in tryouts.

Does this mean I can use ANY bat with an ASA stamp regardless of the year associated? For instance if it says ASA 2007 or ASA 2005 will that matter?

I am really excited about playing but need to change my mindset about my game and contribution. I was a speedy guy in college in traveling tourneys with a great arm. Had decent pop for a 6'1 190 lb guy playing with monsters in A and A-Major just due to good bat speed and understanding tourque in a swing while creating backspin and lift. I am not nearly as fast and 40lbs heavier and my swing felt real slow with a 28oz juggy OVL. A few decent line drives but nothing really hammered. Still using an over lapping grip with bottom 2 fingers hanging off the knob. Any other grip feels real strange. My arm is absolutely not the same but looked good I suppose for level of competition at my assessment. I threw upper 80's in college and also had a great arm from left and center but I need to figure out what I am capable of without risking injury I suppose.

I think I need to get back on keto for a couple months and drop some weight and I will probably feel a lot better :)

8. tonys1

tonys1 Active Member

For the core, it’s the bounce back factor, so 44/375 will be harder than 52/300 for sure. Check to confirm which ASA stamps are permitted in your league, but there’s 2000, 2004 and 2013 only.

Ghost_SRT and hitless45 like this.
  9. Ghost_SRT

Ghost_SRT New Member

10. tonys1

tonys1 Active Member

11. MBplayer

MBplayer Canadian Bat *****

If your hitting 44's do yourself a favor and get an older Anarchy one piece. OG awakening, Ameri-Can, No Name etc. Look in the other manufacturers section lots of threads on Anarchy bats and their performance. They are non linear and are durable.

12. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

U will not break either DeMarini omega one or two. They are dual stamp. And all know they crush both hard and soft.

hitless45 likes this.