Are 28's the new 30's?

Discussion in 'Open Slow Pitch Board' started by Slayerfan84, Jul 29, 2018.

1. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

Good point. Never thought that might mess up my mechanic. Plus my elbow and knees are not that great.

ShortYellowBus likes this.
  2. Dars

Dars Addicted to Softballfans

I have an old 34 oz. Rawlings I used to swing back when I was in my 20's. Thing feels like swinging a tree trunk now, compared to the 27's I swing now.

blakcherry329 likes this.
  3. ShortYellowBus

ShortYellowBus Well-Known Member

Some of the 13.5” to 14” long barrel bats in 30oz weights feel about the same.

I really like the 2015 and 2016 long barrel Mikens in 30oz because it feels like a dream when you connect right on the screws.

4. blakcherry329

blakcherry329 Well-Known Member

Good thing is 28s are cheaper and 30s, if you can find them, are even cheaper than that.

bird25, MPT23 and ShortYellowBus like this.
  5. blakcherry329

I have a 35oz SX9 that I use in the cages, sometimes, to loosen up. Very balanced. Swings lighter than 35oz.

6. Hiltz

Hiltz Oozing with... something.

Your mechanics should be the same for any weight bat, the only thing that needs to change (very slightly) is your timing.

People get so caught up in never trying different weights, or they freak out if they buy a new bat and it's 0.4oz over sticker weight, etc.
    Next time you take BP, switch mid-round from your 27 to a 30. I can almost guarantee you you'll adjust within a dozen balls or so.

7. ShortYellowBus

If it doesn’t affect your mechanics, there shouldn’t have to to be an adjustment.

Am I wrong?

If timing isn’t a requisite for good swing mechanics, perhaps I misinterpreted the concept of what is proper swing mechanics.

8. chile

chile all 3 forms of retardation

28s are still 28s.

tonys1 and Normy like this.
  9. ShortYellowBus

The new 28’s are seemingly lighter. Smaller barrels?

I know I’m not getting stronger...

I miss the big progressive endload from Combat and Easton. I’m probably just swinging better bats.

Normy likes this.
  10. Normy

Normy Well-Known Member

This is the world we live in...these are the bats we are given...

11. arther itis

arther itis payin' to get paid

download.jpg

Normy and ShortYellowBus like this.
  12. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

so any idea how many cuts does 17 wegman flex asa need to be broke in? that thing has about 50 at max.

13. Hiltz

Mechanics = physical aspects of the swing; eg: stance, leg kick, weight shift, hip rotation, shoulder rotation, etc...

If you look at video of your swing with a 26 and another video of your swing with a 30, they should look the same. One may be slightly slower, but if you looked at them frame by frame, all the physical positions should be the same.

Toying around with a different weight bat isn't going to screw up your hip rotation or impede your normal stride. It's just going to temporarily screw up your timing. It's not something people should be scared of, MLB hitters commonly do drills and BP with overweight bats.

14. ShortYellowBus

I didn’t know there was MLB caliber talent here discussing this. If that’s the case, you’re right.

I am not going to discuss this any further.

I assumed it was regular, perhaps overworked, dudes who don’t frequent the steroids shoppes.

15. Dars

Dars Addicted to Softballfans

Teammate had the DC Psycho in a 30 oz. I could absolutely destroy the ball with it, but would be gassed after 10-15 swings with it in BP. Hard to believe 2-3 oz. heavier makes that much of a difference.

bird25, Normy and ShortYellowBus like this.
  16. Hiltz

15yo kids in high school are swinging 34/31 bats against overhand pitching, just keep that in mind.

17. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

Hah, what lameness. If you're a MAN, swinging a 30 oz bat will NOT alter your swing mechanics in the slightest.

defos and Dogue like this.
  18. ShortYellowBus

Swinging a 30oz bat.

I’ve seen guys the guys on my team pick up unnecessary injuries trying to swing my 30oz bats. Torn bicep, and a horrific ankle injury are the worst I’ve seen. Lower back injuries and knees are more common.

One guy on my team was putting so much effort, his stride was exaggerated by a high leg kick that when his foot touched the ground his ankle separated from its socket; his foot was loosely dangling in the air. He was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery.

I asked him why he was kicking so high, he said he couldn’t get the bat head through the zone fast enough, so he had to do it.

He never played softball again.

Injuries that can be prevented are simply frustrating. I was simply speaking from experience. I bring one 30oz bat to bp now.

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate all your feedback.

19. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

folks, I think what syb is saying is that, if you don't have power to handle 30oz, don't force it cuz it will alter your mechanic. that is a true statement. human body will leverage anything it can to compensate the lack of your power.
    think of it as weight lifting. if you force yourself to lift something that's out of your range, it will try to leverage other parts of muscle for extra help instead of your targeted muscle. End result is, you are compromising your form and mechanic.

Same thing for softball swing. i don't think syb is saying don't do it, but do it in proper way with caution in gradual manner.

20. ilyk2win

ilyk2win Addicted to Softballfans

Is this real life?

das028 and Bow Commander like this.
  21. Hiltz

Jesus Christ, do you play on a leper colony?

Or the heavier bat will force you to use your strongest muscles (legs and hips) instead of arm-swinging like a lot of people do with light bats. That's why baseball players do heavy-bat drills, to enforce proper mechanics.

Swinging a bat that's 2-3oz heavier than normal isn't quite the same as overestimating your deadlift by 50lbs.

blakcherry329 and Bow Commander like this.
  22. Redsfan

Redsfan New Member

Well a lot of softball players aren't at the pinnacle of fitness. So some of them swinging anything heavier than a 12 oz beer is over doing it. Haha.

23. blakcherry329

This has got to be Senior Softball. geez

24. Dogue

Dogue Evil Genius

I see more 27-30oz bats in senior ball than I do in Utrip, where 27 is apparently too heavy for the kids...they think my 28oz Z's are warmup bats.

blakcherry329 likes this.
  25. jkwoody22

jkwoody22 League ball huer

Right same all the 50 year old guys I play with swing 28 and 30 senior bats or regular Asa utrip etc, all the youngster swing 25/26 I prefer 27 and I’m 43 lol

26. killabees

killabees Member

The only reason he makes that garbage in those weights is because he couldn't get them approved at anything heavier, for certain models at least. ****in floating inner pool noodle.

27. ShortYellowBus

Oh that is just Carl putting a spin on a business decision.

It’s cheaper to make one product in one way and repaint them in different colors, than it is to make multiple in varying weight.

I remember him saying that, but just because he said it doesn’t make it true.

28. Hiltz

I just started playing in a 35+ wood bat league. Not uncommon to see 45-55 year-olds swinging 32+ ounce bats.