ASA Supermax Primo 12" vs KP23 - beer league seeds and bombs :/

Discussion in 'Miken' started by chile, Feb 18, 2019.

1. chile

chile Bad Ape

so...after my initial "lukewarmness" to the asa kp23, i took it, and the 12" supermax primo, out for some tee work today...hitting a good mix of bp52+, 52 spinrs and a few dudley 52/300s, and mixed in 10 of the harder stuff (2 - 44/375s, 2 green/yellow spinrs, 2 rockets and 2 worth platinum bp balls and 2 classic m's)...

kp23 had 80'ish cuts on it already, primo was straight outta the wrapper...my previous feedback about the miken/worth 12" barrels still stands...kinda.

outta the wrapper, the primo hit very well...i didn't feel the supermax EL to the extent i thought i would (more on that later)...same tingy, glassy sound on everything. basically, my initial reaction to the kp23 the other day but better distance (i attribute this to a number of things - watching the bat through the ball on contact (something i'm back in the extremely bad habit of not doing...i think this is my #1 issue when i hit inconsistently), tee placement, etc.)

once i got the initial cuts in, the bat did all the work...hitting everything very well...i like the feel of hitting the 52s better than hitting the harder stuff...which makes sense since they are designed to hit 52s...at the end of each round, it's not like there was only 44s lying over the fence, it was a good mix of everything...it was like an easter egg hunt out there :/...i put 2 rounds of 36 on it before i went back to the kp to "open it up" and do a green/red apple comparison...

back to the supermax EL vs the kp23 (0.5oz EL?)...i have this really bad habit of taking bp AFTER a workout...but i feel like it loosens me up so whatever...anyway, i felt okay during the 1st two rounds with the primo but when i went back to the kp, i definitely felt the difference in the lighter EL...

with about 100 cuts on it at this point, the kp was starting to lose that glassy, tingy sound and i was definitely hitting better than the other day. barrel felt less stiff but i can't attest to ss since this is all tee work :/...i was easily putting the ball in the same range with the primo and not feeling like the 12" barrel worked against me...if that makes sense...

bottom line here is that i think the KP23 and Primo are definitely gtg. do i feel like the bigger barrel asa offerings from miken/worth may be a bit better? maybe but i think that's more of a feel/feedback thing as opposed to strictly a performance measurement...i didn't hit last year's KP23 but i am really liking this year's..hit either with confidence, people.

or you can hit an anarchy ;)

that is all....carry on.

#1 chile, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. chile

chile Bad Ape

side note...since this seems to be a thing (someones selling the 14" with a rattle as well). when i got it, no rattle...once i unwrapped the damned thing, the primo had a nice, pebble rattle :/...and since that ****ing place that smashes sports doesn't honor returns once the wrapper's been removed, i own it :/...not that i think it's gonna be an issue but wtf?

BOLTMAN21, hitless45 and 2ball like this.
  3. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

no videos, didn't happen.. lol They wouldn't take it if its OOW? that is lame, but i thought you go through manuf, not store.

forgot to ask, put down your anarchy for them?

4. hitless45

hitless45 Addicted to Softballfans

This also is why I'm eeh about worth/miken, that pebble rattle niw has been well documented for the last several year.. i guess at that point (unwrapped) game it if you can and bp it till it bust and hope your return doesn't come with a rattle..

chile likes this.
  5. chile

chile Bad Ape

I could

BOLTMAN21 and dunkky like this.
  6. ShortYellowBus

ShortYellowBus Well-Known Member

I unwrapped a rattler Miken and called them.

They asked me to ship it in for repairs or they’d offer me any mainline bat in exchange but without warranty. I went the repair route.

It took a couple weeks, but the bat came back good to go with warranty obviously still valid.

bird25 and chile like this.
  7. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

What weight did you get in the primo?

chile likes this.
  8. Normy

Normy Well-Known Member

Patiently awaiting for Anarchy dump..

BOLTMAN21 and chile like this.
  9. chile

chile Bad Ape

10. Party mafia

Party mafia Well-Known Member

does the rattle cause any problems in the future? Could it be just the glue epoxy that is loose inside the barrel.

11. chile

chile Bad Ape

it won't cause any problems...unless an ump decides to be a **** about it.

12. tonys1

tonys1 Well-Known Member

Smash it against a telephone post and just send it back as a warranty claim then?

chile likes this.
  13. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

they should honor that with no question asked, i think chille is demanding to get a replacement without warranty claim which he has a right to do so since he got a defective stick. that is my understanding

14. Party mafia

Party mafia Well-Known Member

if he smashes it against a telephone pole, he will get a no warranty bat as a return.

tonys1 and chile like this.
  15. hitless45

hitless45 Addicted to Softballfans

This is in fact what worrh/miken say it is glue/epoxy ( don't worry bout it), problem would be as Chile says only if an ump wants to call it out for a rattle..

chile likes this.
  16. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

What kind of distance are you getting off the tee with 52s on primo sm and kp23 asa with 100 hits on them if you dont mind me asking? Just curious because all we can get in right now are cage bombs on a pocket radar with the great midwest weather lol. Spring needs to get here quick!

17. chile

chile Bad Ape

Easily in the 280' range...more than a few well past that. I plan to hit them both some more soon.

Bagz likes this.
  18. jkwoody22

jkwoody22 League ball huer

Did you feel a difference in the handles, I read the primos have sensiflex and the kp has f2p which I believe is flexier, I can never figure out their handles, same with worth flex 100 supposed to be stiffer than flex 50 according to to them

#18 jkwoody22, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  19. chile

chile Bad Ape

honestly didn't notice...

20. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

Hit the new primo today. This bat is no joke! Primo supermax is gonna be a beast! Hitting 52s 90-94 consistently off tee with pocket radar(not bad for an old man lol). I did hit some classic M balls (which i don't recommend) and reached 99-102 on radar ..Ii will hit some live pitches next week. If you like short barrel ASA bats with a nice and smooth 1oz el go get you one!

BOLTMAN21, uniballer and chile like this.
  21. chile

chile Bad Ape

if you're going to hit anything harder than 52s, don't press your luck....just saying :/

Bagz likes this.
  22. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

I agree! Anything else harder than 52/300 = dead bat!!

23. chile

chile Bad Ape

My KP23 is almost gone in under 200 cuts...4" seam and a shark tooth starting... Maybe 40-50 with classic m's and rockets (mostly classic m's)

24. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

That sucks!!
    I hit 5 Ms and got a small 1 inch paint crack spiral but not deep at all to effect it. I have 50 hits maybe tops on the primo sm. 52s only from here on out!

25. chile

chile Bad Ape

yeah, i knew i was pressing my luck but figured i hadn't broken a bat in a loooong time. my primo is good so i'll just leave it alone now :/. wish our league would switch to 52s...unsure what their reluctance is...other than having to spend money on new balls...which shouldn't be an issue since their field maintenance is absolutely atrocious

26. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

Yea i knew i was pressing my luck too but i didn't think 5 Ms would hurt it, but guess i was wrong unfortunately.
    Your league needs to get with times for sure. I guess feel lucky you get to still hit rocks you just need dual stamps for that league so you dont tear up the asa only bats nowadays.

chile likes this.
  27. chile

chile Bad Ape

yeah, guess i'll just have to go back to anarchies already...

28. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

That's probably your best bet. Those white red 17 juggys kill those 44s if you find one cheap. Just another option for you.

ShortYellowBus likes this.
  29. chile

chile Bad Ape

i am looking for one of those ;)

Bagz likes this.
  30. Bagz

Bagz Bang!!

Goid idea...the all red ovl should be closely the same they just take awhile to break in is all but when they do they are fire

chile likes this.