Been outta action for ~10 years....how do my bats compare to todays?

Discussion in 'ASA' started by rotatorcuff, Oct 9, 2017.

1. rotatorcuff

rotatorcuff Addicted to Softballfans

I have both Worth M7 Jeff Hall Reload .... ASA (blue) and Utrip (red). The red bat is really broke in, but I don't think they'll let me swing in the ASA league I'm in. The blue one was never on par with the red one but it was not a bad ASA bat at the time.

I'm a little rusty and just hitting base hits. I hit a ASA stamped Freak (looked like the original but that's impossible b/c it wasn't ASA legal 10 years ago) this past weekend and went 5 for 5. Solid line drives with good control. Damn, it feels good to be back!

I've done a little searching, so I'm not really asking what the best ASA bat is. Have things changed that much in 10 years? I'm not sure what balls we're using; I'll take a closer look this weekend.

But I would like a short list of your ASA recommendations. I spray the field but want to go deep when the fielders start cheating in.

Thanks
    Rotatorcuff

Oh, btw, how in the hell do you post a pic these days? Looks like you have to upload as media first and then pull from your media library.

2. clementeunknown

clementeunknown Addicted to Softballfans

For lack of a better way to say it, your bats are obsolete. The JH120 is a paperweight and the ASA is old technology.

3. rotatorcuff

That's good to know. I'm not looking to invest in new bats at the moment b/c I'm still getting back into the game. There are some newer bats on the team that I'm sure I can use, so I'll experiment a bit and see what I like. And I'll do a little research b/c I'm way outta touch with bat technology.

I'm really gonna miss my JH120.....that was a sweet bat in its day. :)

The ASA freak felt pretty good. "but I see the long ball guys swinging Eastons (I think)". There is an ASA stamped Ultra...is it any good?

Thanks for the reply.

I editing my post b/c I don't think it's Eastons.....I think the Louisville Z3000 or 4000 and Demarini are the popular bats in our league. But I don't know, I'm so outta touch. I know more about girls fastpitch bats and the Zeno line is super hot in that arena. I never liked the sound but it is my daughter's favorite next to the orignal purple and white stealth.

#3 rotatorcuff, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  4. yank

yank Addicted to Softballfans

If your talking about the white ASA Ultra it's nothing special.

5. ogWarlock78

ogWarlock78 Addicted to Softballfans

if you are allowed to swing an og Freak with ASA stamp and you hit well with it, then keep swinging it. Many have said the best bat made is the one YOU hit best with.

6. rotatorcuff

I agree with that logic, but its not mine. At some point, (soon) I want my own bat.

I'll swing a few other teammate's bats to get a feel for what I like. I was just curios if the bat technology has really changed that much in the past 10 years. I see alot of two piece bats now. I remember the the origianl EST's were great bats. Worth is still producing the EST.....has it change much since then. Or the Demarini double wall....not very durable but could smash the ball.

7. Joker

Joker Well-Known Member

8. Dan411

Dan411 Star Player

They have changed A LOT. In particular, the ASA only bats. I know you are not asking for the hottest, but any Worth or Miken ASA only is a solid pick. Good time of the year coming up to start looking at making a purchase too, as the new models will drive down the currents' prices. Good luck and welcome back.

9. Kodiak1

Kodiak1 Addicted to Softballfans

Lol, I haven't bought a tv or cell phone since 2007, has anything changed since then

10. bronx90210

bronx90210 Addicted to Softballfans

That’s the best way to get back into things swing other bats to get a feel of the new feel and technology. Keep swinging your old faithful until you find the right bat. I could tell you to get a worth XXL or a dc41 or a anarchy rebellion but these bats are all endloaded and that might not work for you. The best bat is the one that works with your swing.

11. Dan411

Dan411 Star Player

They kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller, now they are getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

billvp likes this.
  12. Kodiak1

Kodiak1 Addicted to Softballfans

It was sarcastic, what hasn't changed in ten years...

Dan411 likes this.
  13. Dan411

Dan411 Star Player

Oh I know you were being sarcastic, I was trying to be too ha ha.