Buckler Horween

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by smarkley3, Apr 12, 2018.

1. smarkley3

smarkley3 Certified Trap Hoe

2. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Addicted to Softballfans

I also saw Rico was using horween.

3. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

Horween is not a terribly expensive leather (at $6/SF) -- so it must be the stiffness that scares glove makers off (or maybe finding a leather at $4.50 per SF saves $12 per glove and that is enough to matter). To compare, the Kangaroo that Nokona uses for some glove backs is $25/SF.

I'd love to see one. This one reminds me of a 303.

Who is Buckler? And. Why is it stamped "Horween Texas"

[​IMG]

And the palm is stamped "Fame of a Pro" ... ???

[​IMG]

4. smarkley3

Buckler is PT Inko Java. They are an Indonesian company owned by Korean Company. They Jobber for many glove lines, including Easton.
    They are big in Korea under there own brand and have tried previously to break into the North American market under the SAF brand. They dont have a good grasp of American English, nor do they understand the market here. Hence the odd names and poor grammar (just like me, LOL)
    Not sure what they mean by Texas Horween, most likely a poor understanding of marketing and language.

5. smarkley3

I am am trying to obtain one but, not sure if my account is still active, and I am not gonna pay list price for one, LOL.

6. huntaholic21

I find it interesting that foreign market gloves use English for the markings, even though the translation often times are somewhat butchered. I saw some nike Japan gloves last week and in big writing in the palm it says “We believe in bright future”.

7. Hiltz

Hiltz But my mom says I'm cool.

There are a bunch of Wilson Japan models on the bay right now, the series is called "Wannabe Hero".

8. huntaholic21

This is hilarious. They literally must not check with anybody from the states before releasing this stuff.

9. etnstudios

etnstudios Addicted to Softballfans

i immediately want one lol. but don't wanna spend that on a joke lol

10. huntaholic21

The Nike also features the “Premium Moist Touch Leather”

11. smarkley3

LMAO, yea, it is quite odd that companys of this size do not research before marketing products in a new market.
    I found it amazing that PT Inko Java would not market under there name, they are well known in the Korean market. When I spoke with them they did not seem to understand that being an Asian glove manufacture was a good thing and to just introduce themselves as such and capitalize on the name they have built in the Asian market. Still waiting for a response to my request......

12. huntaholic21

Have you ever heard of x2 gloves?

13. smarkley3

The Nokonas?

14. huntaholic21

954CB458-0D64-4BEB-9589-784408519344.jpeg

15. GloveCowboy

GloveCowboy Member

Hey Man - actually the reason it scares many retailers off, apart from the stiffness, has to do with 2 reasons.

The first is that even though a $6/SF cost isn’t bad for a high end leather, most factories are over seas - Buckler in Indonesia and RICO in the Philippines - so the added cost of shipping the hides from Chicago to the overseas factory tacks on about a $1.50/SF.

The second is the most cost efficient way for Horween to ship the hides is via boat, which adds about 30-45 days of lead time. As opposed to a factory in the Philippines buying Japanese Tanned Leather which could be delivered in about 1/3 the time.

Rico and Buckler are lucky in fact, they are both stealing a bit of inventory that was ordered by me for our Small Batch program. Rico is using a bit of leftover Horween Caramel from my factory and Buckler is using some Horween Tan that was ordered originally to be used for Small Batch.

bigmac25 and smarkley3 like this.
  16. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

Interesting. I never would have guessed it costs $3,000 to ship 50 hides (assuming 40SF per hide). Wow. Since so much of the J tanned leather claims to be "US Steerhide", I always figured the transport cost was a wash... Either the $1.50 is added to the raw hides (pre tanning) when they get shipped to Japan or to the tanned leather.

17. GloveCowboy

GloveCowboy Member

Yes - you are correct. The “pre-Tanned” hides (Wet Blues) are mostly shipped from US cattle ranches. Since they are all the same before the tanning process, they can be shipped in much greater volume to the Japanese tanneries, where they then get turned into multiple colors, finishes. The roughly $1.50 cost is for a specific Leather that has already been tanned as these are often shipped overseas in much lower volumes.

Rous likes this.
  18. smarkley3

Yea GloveCowboy, I thought that may be the case.