Deep pocket middle infield

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by mnhoj, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

So glad you found a great example on the cheap! Such an underated glove... that fastback is just so unpopular at the moment... perhaps partly because TIP has become so popular. It is actually a TIP friendly glove, but you have to keep your index finger in the glove.

2. MaverickAH

MaverickAH Well-Known Member

I don't use it. It's NWT! Part of my collection.

Yes, it does have the vertical hinge basket web. Dual hinged webs are one of my favorites webs. What's interesting is that I also have a PRO1000-9PBMPRO (also 12.25") & the 12P is much bigger. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fight the urge to break it out & game it! If they weren't so hard, if not impossible, to come across in new condition.........

3. etnstudios

etnstudios Addicted to Softballfans

get out of here with that. you know how to care for a glove, go ahead and game it. we only go around once

huntaholic21 and SnakePlissken like this.
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj Active Member

Ok.
    Now that my first world problem is solved - what's next?
    12.75? ( :

5. defos

defos Member

I bought a PRO502-3P a couple of months ago, largely because it's the same color, or close enough, as my PROS27. I love the PROS27 at 3rd, but I played quite a bit at 2nd early this season and I can't always feel the ball in the top of the trap web on the soft hits and tosses that are more common at 2nd. I used a GGP502-3C at SS and 3rd before the PROS27 and it worked well at both positions. Still have it - and a couple of new ones - but I liked the novelty of having color-matching gloves. And the price was right.

Yours is a bit nicer than mine. The date code on mine is BLER.

mnhoj likes this.
  6. smarkley3

smarkley3 Certified Trap Hoe

My fav IF pattern from Vinci is a BV1929. The lace in the basket web opens up to form a nice deep pocket but not so deep as to make it hard to get the ball out. I would suggest a custom with an Optimus palm and a Limited kip on the back to save weight. Trung has done a few runs of these, last was an I web.

[​IMG]

7. sleepin4matty

sleepin4matty Management Material

8. Felks32

Felks32 Addicted to Softballfans

Back to the 208 talk...it's Custom time for Felks32, and once again the age old decision. 208/3028/5048? I can only find that one custom 208 plus the David Price glove. Anyone else with a 208 custom?

I have a 207 and 2x 3029's already. I want something that will be used all over the field. Softball utility. The last glove I gamed was a Vinci BMB-OB and loved it.

9. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Addicted to Softballfans

Sbf sold a handful of 208's for the sept ggc that came early. I know ballgluver from instagram has at least one. I'm also interested in this size pro200.

10. Felks32

Thanks...ill go back and look at the thread. I could have sworn they were all 207's. Damn.

Edit, yep, the Primo and Timber ones were 208's.

11. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Like an idiot, I missed the timber Pro208 Arenado. I actually messaged Chad about one, he said they got gone fast!

Professional procrastinator here!

Felks32 likes this.
  12. Swinging Bunt

Swinging Bunt Addicted to Softballfans

The 208's didn't presell well but they did go quick after landing.

Felks32 likes this.
  13. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Alright Felks, I’m here to help! You already have a Pro207 and (2) Pro302’s. But now you can’t decide between a 208 and a 504.......right? Order both, okay that was easy for me to say but please hear me out. You know in your heart and mind that you will eventually have both.

Is the 207 and the 302’s absolute keepers? Those models will definitely sell here, as will the 208 and definitely the 504 If they’re not exactly what you’re looking for! I’m not a rich man, I can’t be, I have a daughter playing travel ball all over the East coast every weekend. My point is so what if you lose $20/$40 on a glove that’s just not what your looking for? Heck, I lose or blow money like that all the time and I know most of you do to! Like the post that Maverick has going now, I’ll easily spend $20/$40 to see it something works for me, of course I draw the line at some things but we all know where our line is.......

So how about a custom timber Pro208 Arenado replica, or a dry black Pro208 with a tan H-web, tan laces, and black split welting like the custom I mocked up in the other thread.

Or an old school traditional ALL TAN Pro504 with gray split welting, old school red patches and the web of your choice?

Or be patient :D and see how the NP7 shakes out! That’s where I’m at.....NP7 with an I-web, hopefully that web will be a choice. I know I’ve posted several mocked versions of a dry black & tan NP6 and a 208, but when we find out more about the NP7, I’m sure I’ll chicken out and order an all tan version, I’m old school! Or maybe I should take my own advice and order both.......

I’m here to help brother, you let me know if I can be of any more assistance!

Felks32, mnhoj and Wally Gator like this.
  14. Felks32

Thanks! :)

Yes my current collection are all absolute keepers. They all have embroidery on them with some personal meaning.
    JTan 3029 with my Daughter's initials & birthdate
    Dark Shadow DCT with my Son's initials & birthdate
    Black Dry 207 with mine & my Wife's initials & wedding date

The 2 gloves that I was planning on gaming all along - my other 2 customs (Primo Sherry DCT, Mocha PP 3029) are both embroidered with my name. All good. Problem solved. But...I have a problem much like many others on here, and another custom would make a nice birthday gift, don't you think? Then I could shelf the 5 current customs, maybe above the TV, somewhere on display, and game the new custom. ;)

So for right now, I am leaning towards either:
    Custom 504/303, because I returned my custom Timber 504. Both the 504 and 303 seem like great softball utility gloves.
    Saddle Tan SP125, because I regret selling my OT.
    Mizuno Pro Select 12.75

ANNASDAD likes this.
  15. mnhoj

mnhoj Active Member

What it's all about.

Felks32 likes this.
  16. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Yep, great post Felks! You’ve got many more gloves to buy sir to keep with your current trend.

Felks32 likes this.
  17. Felks32

I also considered turning my attention away from customs and looking at special edition type gloves...like the RV23, 1000HC, and such.

But I really do need something to game!

18. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Gloves on my radar right now....

**Another Don Morton RV23.
    **Was planning on a custom NP6, but now I really want a custom NP7 I-web.
    **A custom Pro208 with a H-web. Maybe a Arenado replica?
    **I planned on bringing home a Pro303-CTB home from Myrtle Beach this weekend.......one of the ball dad’s bought his daughter this glove and it’s been sitting on her dresser for exactly one year, the reason I know this is he bought it last year the week after the MB showcase. It’s 98% new, my plan is to steal it from him and immediately ship it to Rous to have it re-laced in tan. Hope to make Fred proud! It’ll make a great HC coaches glove.

Felks32 likes this.
  19. CircleL

CircleL Starting Player

Those Easton Small Batch Horween are something to consider as well!

Felks32 likes this.
  20. MaverickAH

I have to say, I really like the 208 pattern. Now if only some decision maker at Rawlings would become enlightened & slap a RV23 web on it, they'd have a #1 seller for the softball crowd! It would be a great 2-way glove. They need to forget about that Pro Label crap & do this! Of course, they won't.........

The 504 is no slouch either.........

Honestly, I would advise you to do what I did which was work with Vinci on a Custom Optimus. Mine is based on their PCi125 which I'm pretty sure is very close to a 208 if not the same. Had them work up a hinged single post web (RV23) for it. Perfection!

CircleL, ANNASDAD and Felks32 like this.
  21. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Felks32 likes this.
  22. etnstudios

etnstudios Addicted to Softballfans

i will say that, from the little bit that i've used it to break it in, the RGGC 3030 that i got is one of the best feeling and playing gloves i've felt. true extension of my hand and will obviously get better with time. the pattern seemed worlds better than the 302 i had in the past.

Felks32 likes this.
  23. MaverickAH

Here's the thing:

Creating a new die to cut the hinged single post web for a 12.5" glove would probably run about $3,500 or so. I'm no expert on the subject but that number is somehow stuck in my head from something I read somewhere. A mere pittance for a company like Rawlings even if the cost was higher. IMHO, they would recoup the equipment cost within a month of product launch!

A 208 with an RV web in a dry tan Horween C55 w/split welting in white, gray or tan??? I'd want it so stiff that I could throw it at someone & knock them out!!! JC, they'd be flying off of the shelves!!!! I would pay for the cost of the die for the web myself for a share of the profits! :D

What pisses me off every time we have threads like this & I think about it is that we had people there at that glove summit & all that's seemingly come out of it is someone trying to generate interest in those POS Pro Label gloves.

ANNASDAD, Felks32 and CircleL like this.
  24. Felks32

The 303 is my other option I should have mentioned. I've had several 303's over the years, and I agree its a great softball pattern. Plus, I prefer a thumb and pinky break, closing thumb to pinky so the 303 is better for that than the 504.

25. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken New Member

The 303 is my favorite softball pattern by far and I've gone through a lot of gloves. I have XL hands, use it traditional and it closes completely around a 12" ball. I broke mine in like an infield glove but could have gone TIP and made it like an outfield glove no problem. It would work anywhere in the field and be perfectly good in my opinion.

26. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Hey, I know how we could save Rawlings $3,500.00!! Put the 12.25" RV web on the new 12.25" NP7!

Maverick, I was thinking about your post from 3:25am this morning and I agree with you about the Pro208. I know I posted last night I'd love an RV web on a 207/208 or a NP6/NP7, and I'd take it on either of these models! But a 12.5" Pro208 makes the most sense with that particular web being that glove is deep and wide and bowl shaped like the real RV23. It'd be a perfect softball utility glove just with a smaller heel and palm, sign me up!!!

27. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Can't remember if it was Bunt or Rous who wanted to pick you to go to the "Event"? Anyway Maverick, looks like you're up next, making all that common sense will get you in trouble!

28. davisrelacing

davisrelacing The Other Guy

Rawlings did not ask us what gloves we wish they made.

29. MaverickAH

I wasn't referring to you.

It begs the question though........

What were you there for if not for an exchange of information & feedback? I have a hard time believing that no one at Rawlings never asked any one of you what you'd like to see from them going forward. Especially when it comes to the subject of gloves for softball. It seems that they still look down their noses at adult softball in all of its variations. Were you invited to the alter just to be apostles that go forth & blindly spread the word? Personally, if I were invited to such an event & my opinions, thoughts & feedback weren't sought, I'd be insulted.

Adam22 likes this.
  30. MaverickAH

Okay, I was a bad boy today..........:oops: (hanging head in shame........)

I passed by Vinci's website this afternoon. They have some gloves available on a Pre Black Friday sale. Pretty sure that some of them are one-offs or prototypes or maybe even some mad scientist experiments.

Anyway, they had a Limited Series 12.5" Double Bar Web (that's what Vinci calls a Hinged Single Post Web) in Black w/Yellow accents. I was weak......... In my defense, all of this talk about the very same design did not help! Add to the fact that it was a one of a kind exclusive and........:cool:

Felks32 likes this.