Derek Gibson

Discussion in 'Sales Feedback' started by bat-man, Oct 23, 2004.

1. bat-man

bat-man Manager

His trial is over, he recieved 18 months of house arrest and 3 years probation.
    He must also pay back his victims $400 a month to a total of $67,000. He said in court that things got out of hand and never meant to defraud anybody. He blamed it on his learning disability! If there is any questions please ask and I will try to answer them for you..

#1 bat-man, Oct 23, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  2. OverDaFence

OverDaFence At Fanatics

Ok..

Tell me this... How does a guy that is on house arrest, PAY $400 a month to anybody?? What an A$$ I hear this guy is. Hasanyone heard anymore from the "NEW DEREK GIBSON" on here? Did we find out who he is? Why he is compelled to screwing with people?

Also, is DG allowed back on the computer??? I hope not..

3. cposiasca1

cposiasca1 is diggin country bootie

DG is a worthless gimp. I just hope I get my stuff or money from this deal. I doubt I will, but we will see. Hell, if he only has to pay $67000....I think $40k+ goes to SSS(unless they defaulted it when they closed).

Looks like the little guy will get screwed, and that dirtbag will make out again.

4. OverDaFence

OverDaFence At Fanatics

What

is SSS and if they went out of business because of him, I am surprised HE ISN'T DEAD. :D I am very touchy when you start messing with my families WELL BEING, you know.....

5. bat-man

bat-man Manager

6. Furious

Furious The Original

14 years it will take to pay everyone back. wtf. Where did all that money go? He should have to sell his stuff or something to help pay back what he owes. He should get 3 years to pay it all back and thats it. NOT 14!!!

7. Scoop13

Scoop13 Banned User

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't own anything. He probably pays rent and drives a car that is either leased or isn't worth selling. Anything that he has is probably in someone elses name.

8. Ronn050

Ronn050 5ยข Swing

D.g.

Here's a little more of the story.

NS ~ Derek Gibson On House Arrest...CAMBRIDGE (Oct 22, 2004)

A Cambridge man apologized yesterday for using his Internet company to defraud softball enthusiasts throughout the world of more than $67,000.

The apology came after Derek Gibson, 32, was sentenced to 18 months house arrest for his crimes. He was also ordered to pay back a total of $67,177.66 to his victims.

The 57 victims, in five countries, paid him for bats and other baseball items that were never delivered.

"I'm sorry that you feel you were defrauded," Gibson said outside court when asked if there was anything he wanted to say to his victims.

"There was never any intent on my part (to do that)."

Gibson pleaded guilty to the fraud.

He started his company, Young Guns Slo Pitch, in 2002 and ran it out of his home.

He said he primarily sold high-end baseball bats that can't be bought in most countries. The bats allow a batter to hit a ball long distances.

He bought the bats from U.S. companies and sold them on EBay for about $500 Cdn. Most people who ordered bats received them and were happy with his service, Gibson said.

Out of 347 transactions, only 57 people complained of fraudulent activity. The complaints came from Canada, the United States, Australia, Taiwan and Germany.

"It was just bad business practice," Gibson told The Record.

In court yesterday, defence lawyer Mike Ferguson said Gibson didn't start his company with the intent to defraud people. It simply "got out of hand," he said.

He said Gibson has a learning disability that contributed to his crimes.

He also noted his client pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, thus saving the courts time and money for a lengthy trial.

He asked the judge not to send Gibson to jail because he had accepted responsibility for his crimes and wanted to work and pay back his victims. Several reputable people from the community came forward to support Gibson, even offering to pay his legal fees, Ferguson said.

Crown prosecutor Janet Booy asked for jail time, describing the crime as "a planned scheme."

Justice David Carr agreed Gibson's crimes were serious but said it's important the victims are compensated, something that would be difficult to do while he was in jail.

"The Internet, and in particular EBay, operates on the honour system," Carr said while handing down his sentence.

Along with house arrest, Gibson was sentenced to three years probation.

Outside court, he said restitution would be difficult on his wages -- he works as a cashier at a Cambridge convenience store -- but he wants to do it. He was ordered to pay $400 a month towards the debt.

Gibson will be allowed to leave his home only for work or dental and medical emergencies. He'll also be allowed outside on Saturdays from 1 to 3 p.m. to conduct personal business.

His company still exists but Gibson is restricted from using EBay

I got it from Mohr's Board.

#8 Ronn050, Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  9. Samsdaman

Samsdaman Addicted to Softballfans

Derek Gibson....

Derek Gibson actually called me last week.....telling me that his court ordeal was over....that he had to pay restitution to all of the people who had complaints against him..... He was calling to get my address to ship out my product (2 bats) that were ordered almost two (2) years ago.....he is into me for roughly $500.00 I was as surprised as the next guy.....I didn't expect to ever hear from him again......mush less have him call and offer to send out my bats......We'll see????? I am not crossing my fingers.....or holding my breath...... I will keep every one here posted as to what happens....

Sammy

10. suga20

suga20 New Member

Aren't those bats out of date now? What are you getting back?

11. Samsdaman

Samsdaman Addicted to Softballfans

Derek Gibson.....

Indeed they are..... out of date... ha ha He has indicated that he would either send me Miken Freaks (2).....or Combat B1 Da Bomb (2)....or basically whatever bat I would prefer. He was actually very humble...not his cocky little self of the past. I will beleive it when they actually arrive on my door step and I open the box and there are two (2) NIW bats.....then I will call it good! :cool: But....until then, it's all lip service..... I will keep everyone updated as to the outcome.....

Sammy

12. BIGPAP72

BIGPAP72 Active Member

I just want my $220 back. I am glad I filed with the Waterloo buys so its all on file. He got me on Ebay.

13. BIGPAP72

BIGPAP72 Active Member

Heres the latest.
    I'll pass the message onto Det. CHRISTIANSEN, but it is true. The
    matter has been dealt with. You may or may not see your money, as it is
    more than likely GIBSON will never be capable of paying victims back.
    As they say you can't get blood from a stone. Unfortunately there is no
    penalty enforced if he doesn't pay victims, all it means that a
    judgement has been made and if he fails to pay back the money after his
    period of probation then the judgement can be transferred over civilly
    and you could try to collect from him by seizing assets his wages if he
    is working etc. If he does start to pay victims the courts collect
    money from him first and then remit to victims as it is received. Not
    sure if the courts have seen any money from him yet and if they have not
    sure how they will determine who should get paid first. If you want to
    call the Kitchener Court House and ask to speak to someone who deals
    with restitution orders and give them the name of the accused "Derek
    GIBSON" maybe they can further advise of what is happening with that end
    of things. The number for them is (519) 741-3300

Cst. Jason Harth (Fraud Unit)

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October

14. OverDaFence

OverDaFence At Fanatics

Just

to keep the screw balls in your mind to make sure YOU don't get taken.

BERT

15. Fury21

Fury21 Chillin in the QC

Thanks,

Bert,

thanks for the memories. Has anyone received any money or bats from this arse hole. Please update, this guy got me for $600.00. I am going to call the OPP tomorrow for an update.

16. Furious

Furious The Original

I heard this guy is lurking again, selling bats.

17. slyder10

slyder10 Addicted to Softballfans

18. tpunishmentball

tpunishmentball Addicted to Softballfans

his email is gibby83@msn.com

hes been online and trying to deal for quite awhile. I constantly get messages from him trying to peddle gear. Has told me recently that he got his account back with Miken.......

uh oh...