Difference in Mizuno Blackouts?

Discussion in 'Mizuno' started by trippy1313, Apr 29, 2018.

1. trippy1313

trippy1313 Starting Player

Hey everyone. I'm trying to figure out some info on the Mizuno Blackouts. I was thinking of trying to find one but know very little about them. I know there were a couple different models and whatnot. I understand they are no warranty bats but have been known to have great durability that it's not really an issue.

I only play in league and it's usually always U-trip. My favorite bats I've had are my Easton ST100 30oz, and my old, now illegal NRG600 maxload 28oz.

I bought our team the Miken Psycho Izzy 28oz maxload a few years ago, only swing it a few times cause I usually just stick to my personal bats. But I've used it 3 times including a first swing out of the wrapper home run. It felt pretty good.

Just adding those in case it helps with whether or not a Blackout might be a decent fit for me. And which one to keep an eye out for... Anyways if you guys could give me an idea what different models are u-trip and what you do or don't like about them Maybe? I'd appreciate it. Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched but couldn't find much between the difference between models.

2. robokill

robokill Manager

They are very durable, decent performers when broken in but nothing close to recent Miken/Worth bats, I don't think there is much difference b/w various years/models. You are probably better off using the Psycho.

3. ShortYellowBus

ShortYellowBus Well-Known Member

It sounds like you’re a 30oz Balanced bat guy. Worth EST Balanced 30oz is for you.

You’re welcome.

4. GrinningBear

GrinningBear World's deadliest house husband

The original yellow/black, red/white FSE, and pink FSE are all repaints with a .5 ounce endload. The black/white balanced, green FSE, and blackish/grayish Taylormade are repaints and are balanced.

The black/blue ASA (dual stamp) is balanced and gets just as good as the others with a little more break in. Everyone who has swung Them pretty much agree it's not identical to the others.

I'm probably forgetting one.

I think the Blackout Shadow may be another repaint but I haven't swung the one I have enough to break it in and other people think it's a bit more of a log before break in.

Except for the Shadow, they all heat up at about 300 swings and then again at about 700, and then get better.

It may not be as hot as the paper Worth or Mikens, but you're not at a huge disadvantage once it's broken in. Also it will not fail compression testing at 300 swings and durability is laughably better. You can take BP with any ball and not worry. Ditto any temp. You have to put in a lot more work than the newer bats though. Kind of like an older Easton or your old Miken.

I've owned or swung most of them and I like the feel and the sweetspot is easy to find. They're also very forgiving. The endload is very mild. I don't particularly like that.I wish they'd have been weighted better, but I did like even the balanced ones.

At the prices you can get them at they're steals.

bird25 and blakcherry329 like this.
  5. Hiltz

Hiltz But my mom says I'm cool.

A 28.5oz endload model would swing pretty similar to those bats. If you dig around a little, you might be able to find a 29oz balanced that would also be an easy transition.

You should try one with 1500+ swings...

Did you even read the original post?

bird25, Dogue and blakcherry329 like this.
  6. trippy1313

Lol. I've only had one 30oz bat, in my ST100. Otherwise I've actually only had 28 balanced or endloaded bats. Demarini were my first years ago, then switched to Miken after my Demarinis all broke. The Easton is my newest bat, which I actually got used off a member here a couple years ago.

Then that team bat I got for our team, the Izzy Psycho which again a 28, endloaded.

7. robokill

robokill Manager

Why does no one use them then?

8. Hiltz

Yeah, some peoples' reading comprehension could use some work.

I recommended a 28.5oz EL Blackout based on your experience with the two 28oz Maxload Mikens. Don't be scared of the extra 0.5oz, the endload is pretty mild and you won't really notice a little more weight.

blakcherry329 likes this.
  9. Hiltz

The same reason people pay $300 for bats that will fail compression or break within a few hundred swings; instant gratification and the need to run out and buy the newest equipment.

10. blakcherry329

blakcherry329 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the EL is really mild. I have the yellow and black one in a 29.5oz and I think my 28oz Easton swings a little heavier, imo. very underrated bats, imo.

11. etnstudios

etnstudios Addicted to Softballfans

i was under the impression that the shadow was a bit more endloaded. have a 28.5 just sitting

12. blakcherry329

blakcherry329 Well-Known Member

More EL than what bat? As far as ELs go, it's not a lot, imo. It's there, but it could be more, imo.

13. etnstudios

just more than the b/y

14. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

Try a 28.5 black and yellow. Just give it some time. My buddy sold me a 27.5 with over 2k swings and it is as good as any other utrip I have swung

15. trippy1313

Cool thanks guys. So are pretty much all the blackouts the same aside from color combo and balanced/end loaded?

I see some of you mentioned the black/yellow one. Was that different somehow?

Oh I see the thread was moved. My apologies, I somehow missed we had specific threads for most of the manufacturers.

#15 trippy1313, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  16. etnstudios

black and yellow was just the original

17. Hiltz

B/Y was the original endloaded model, white was the original balanced model. There were a gaggle of different Freedom Sports Blackouts made in a bunch of colour combos in both endloaded and balanced. They are the same as their standard production counterparts. The Shadow replaced the original B/Y endloaded model and had a bit more endload and started out stiffer. But it broke in to the same level as the others, just took a little longer. The black and blue dual-stamp Blackout only came as a balanced model and it was waaaay stiffer and took much longer to break in than the utrips. Some people say they eventually get good, most people gave up on them.

18. oilslick58

oilslick58 Addicted to Softballfans

Easy there................Generalization like that are why kids eating TidePods tell me how my government should be ran.
    THe people that know use them. The people that dont need a shiny new bat every six months know and use them.

19. nissben

nissben Freakin Ninja

Mines going strong. Still rocking the OG taylormade one. I'm a mizzy huer so I'm messing with the nighthawks right now, and possibly the crush in the near future, but I got that sucker in the bag ready whenever. Fwiw, broken in blackouts can hang with them other companies

20. swingnmiss

swingnmiss #1 IN YOUR HEARTS

I have the black and yellow Blackout and I can tell you it is straight fire. The durability is amazing and I'd swing that thing over anything other than my Senior Lightning Legend. You have to put a couple of thousand swings on them, but mine is totally worth the effort.

Wheels33 likes this.
  21. trippy1313

Great info guys! Thank you all. I have my eye on a shadow, but also a line on a lightly used black/yellow that's actually local to me, local to me, both are 28.5oz. Hoping it works out and that I enjoy it

22. Hiltz

If you can get them cheap, get both. You won't regret it. Not really any worries buying them used, they're one of the most durable bats ever.

23. stork

stork Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog

Only two older bats I game anymore are my scn2 and b/y BO.

bird25 likes this.
  24. oilslick58

Freekin Ninja!!!!! aaahhhhwww I wanted that! How Doin Nick?

25. oilslick58

Also, the Endcap will crack. It means nothing. swing away

26. trippy1313

That's good to know. Well the shadow should be here Thursday, hopefully in time to try it that night! The guy I was talking to with the Black/Yellow went silent so I'm not sure, which is a bummer since he said I could have it for $50, which I thought sounded good.

27. swingnmiss

swingnmiss #1 IN YOUR HEARTS

If you could have gotten it for $50, it would have been a steal.

28. Hiltz

This thread made me nostalgic and forced me to buy a new Blackout. Damn it.

29. GrinningBear

GrinningBear World's deadliest house husband

Just a note: I have hit Blackouts (and Shadow and Easton L2) in temps in the teens with all kinds of balls and I have had zero problems.