Does Anybody Care Anymore?

Discussion in 'Open Modified Board' started by Coachb12, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ichiromoco

ichiromoco Addicted to Softballfans

I would like to play it but I can't figure out why the only teams around here are all spanish or Dominican and have full decked out uniforms. Like seriously 100% Spanish and or Dominican..

blakcherry329 likes this.
  2. Duriisimo

Duriisimo Aguilucho

Modified and fastpitch softball are big in latin countries and communities. Several leagues here in Orlando. 99.9999999% of the players a latin.

3. blakcherry329

blakcherry329 Well-Known Member

Because it's closer to baseball than slowpitch, imo. I play on 2 teams that are 99% Latino. Great competition and great players. They all play with Clinchers, which is fine. But they all have shaved bats, too. It's a welcome change of pace from pitching the 52/300s and having to suit up.

4. MaverickAH

MaverickAH Well-Known Member

Are you sure they were using shaved bats? It's much more likely that they were using Clincher Golds (F12G). Those balls are rated at 47/375 & if you don't realize that they are being used instead of the regular Clincher, you might think that the bats have been doctored. The performance of an F12G is far superior to an F12. The F12G is the preferred ball for a lot of the Spanish leagues in the NY?NJ Metro area.

A shaved bat will offer next to nothing with an Clincher F12 unless it's brand new.

5. blakcherry329

So you're asking me if I know the difference between an F12 and a Gold, the answer is, yes. We don't use Golds, haven't for almost a decade. You can feel the difference just like I can feel the difference between a 47/375 and a 52/300. Any veteran pitcher can tell the difference. Shaved bats is the norm in these leagues. EVERY team, including the one I'm on, has at least 3 and some, like us don't have regular bats, except for mine. lol.

6. Chris00129

Chris00129 New Member

Having some good luck with the knuckle?

7. blakcherry329

Yep, that's all I throw, really. About 80% Knuckleballs in modified. I never threw hard, so it's more about location and changing speeds.
    I'm a wily veteran, at this point in my career. I try to pitch to the batter's weaknesses and stay off of the sweet spot of the bat. I always keep my teams in the game.

Chris00129 likes this.
  8. Chris00129

Chris00129 New Member

That's awesome man, especially if you keep your team in the game. I just swapped over to almost complete knuckles a couple weeks ago after feeling I was getting enough movment, and our team wasn't doing the hottest, so I wanted to test it out. I've enjoyed the outcome. It's a great pitch if mastered right, and I'm hoping I'm slowly getting there. I was just out on the eastside in a tourney earlier this year in Perkintown Road, Pedricktown, NJ. I believe your way if I read where your from right.

GAM likes this.
  9. blakcherry329

Lol. you read WRONG. That's way down south from where I grew up, Hackensack. I'm in Yonkers, NY, now, unfortunately.

You have to throw a fastball every now and then, just to give them something to think about. I like to start out with a fastball to a few batters, then next time around, slow stuff. Try not to fall into a pattern. Keep it random.

GAM and Chris00129 like this.
  10. GAM

GAM CML

Chris, you were at the tournament I ran back in April but like BlackCherry said, you were in about as south jersey as you could get, lol. I'm assuming you were with the Fire Frogs . We really enjoyed playing against and hanging with you guys. Myself and Sal Guerriero are orgainzing another upcoming tournament in Delaware on 8/18.

Chris00129 and blakcherry329 like this.
  11. Chris00129

Chris00129 New Member

No kidding, so that was your tourney you put on. I and the team had a blast, great group of guys to compete against. HAHA, ok ok, so as south as it gets. Great to see another tourney going on. That's the weekend for 10 man states up in Midland around here. Hopefully will be at another of your tourneys sometime in the future.

12. blakcherry329

So far, so good. I've had to re-establish my release point after years of just pitching slowpitch. I'm doing pretty well. 3-0 in starts and only gave up 2 runs in about 15 innings of relief. Just have to work on hitting my spots more consistently. I've been getting by on change of speed, but, quite frankly, I've been lucky. Lots of fat pitches down the middle, but the timing was off, so I got an out or only gave up a single. All in all, not too bad considering I'm at least 20 years older than most of the players in the league. lol

GAM and Chris00129 like this.
  13. Chris00129

Chris00129 New Member

Gotta keep grinding, haha. That is awesome. I hear you down the middle for sure, those scare me. Glad to hear though, your happy with your results.

blakcherry329 likes this.
  14. blakcherry329

Big test on Labor Day. Playing in a tournament in the Bronx. Dominican players, mostly. Great hitters, but don't like to walk. ;-) Gonna have to use their aggressiveness to my advantage. I'll post back here on Tuesday with the results.

15. Duriisimo

Duriisimo Aguilucho

Soundview/Colgate Park? I was there but did not play. Tourney was dedicated to my father. Titanes-Mass and Boston NY were co-champs

16. blakcherry329

Oh, wow. Very cool.
    I was supposed to play, but my team, Pandas, had 5 pitchers, so I didn't go. How did they do?

17. Duriisimo

Duriisimo Aguilucho

Did not see Pandas on Sunday