Easton "ELDER" Senior bat review

Discussion in 'Senior Softball Board' started by superfonzie, Oct 26, 2013.

1. superfonzie

superfonzie MILE HI HEEL'Billy

Wanna let you guys know what to expect when the Easton ELDER Senior bat is fully available for everyone. I have worked with Easton in the past as a promo guy and tester, have also swung Easton for 15+ yrs and i just got the ELDER in a 27 oz, now i got it yesterday and promptly went to the fields to hit about 530 last night.....

Weather-- low 60's... no wind
    Balls-- were 44/375 diamond zulu trip classic m
    Fileds-- were 309LF --350CF .. a base ball field we use in upper and comp leagues

Bat-- 27oz Easton ELDER Senior 1.21 SSUSA Balanced ( pics coming ) in the wrapper
    Swings-- 40 swings total for me

i had my buddy Mikey ( who is NOT A PITCHER ) throwing to me cause he wanted to hit with it also

So the first ten swings were as usual for a new bat but the bat definitely had a very good feel and balanced nicely, at about 12-15 swings the ball started flying, was not really trying to hit balls out, just trying to hit line drives.
    Around swing 25 the sound definitely changed and the ball started to FLY!!!
    between 25 and 40 i hit several line drives to LC that 1 or 2 hopped the fence and hit a total of 5 balls over the fence, not moonshots more like seeds, line drives... last few swings i was trying to hit them out and my last three swings were between 325-350, walked off from home plate to where they went over
    the fence. I for one am very happy fella to still be an Easton guy because this bat only has 40 swings and is very close top being game ready. Very pleased and excited with the performance of this bat!! :rockon:

Pros== sweet feel, crisp line drives, and very good pop, good looking bat looks like a Wegman L2

Cons== there were 3-4 small paint chips in the barrel area that flaked off but i could care less

Will be near 70 here tomrw and im taking her out again with a couple guys to get their impression of the bat also, Id say they have a WINNER on their hands because of the Easton "legend", I mean that if you like Easton before you will like this one.... which i will post pics of in a bit later, as im playing til about 1/2 pm in a tourney

Like i said fellas it was only a matter of TIME!!!! :biggthumpup:

Superfonzie :peace:

#1 superfonzie, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. bird25

bird25 <font color="#0000CD">34/30 Club #25</font>

Marked for later. Really interested to see how it holds up with a bunch of guys swinging it.

3. phoenix26

phoenix26 <font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>

How about a video??

4. phoenix26

Or send it to me or bird25 and will run it through the ringer
    and post a video:biggthumpup:

5. fierce_gt

fierce_gt Addicted to Softballfans

agreed. nothing special about a hot senior bat, the question is if it will have 'Easton durability' too.

6. stork

stork Rocky Mountain Oyster

I'll be down there next weekend if it is still in one piece.

7. superfonzie

it will be in one piece and PM me and ill make sure to get in a BP session if your interested in swinging it .... only time will tell about durability, as with any senior bat but if its an Easton at least it has good history and engineering behind it... the date code on the bar is 09/13 which tells me that they must have started producing them... syncing my phone now with pics, should have pics shortly... i will try to make a video tomrw when we take her out again...not sure it wil be that good as i don't have a vid camera just an iPhone and iPad but i will try

Super

here is a screenshot from goggle earth of the fields we hit on last night
    [​IMG]

from home plate to the fence is 326' not bad with a bat that just came outa the wrapper….

#7 superfonzie, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. superfonzie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pics of new nat in the wrapper..notice the i yr warranty registration card under the wrapper

Super

9. stork

Got something going on Sat, but maybe Sat night. I will lyk if I can do this later on this week. Creeping close to senior status, so these sticks will be in my not-too-distant future. And I am an Easton guy more than all others.

10. superfonzie

pics of the bat after 40 swings w 44/375 classic M league balls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10 superfonzie, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  11. superfonzie

now she is clean and like new again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#11 superfonzie, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  12. 2nd base

2nd base snowball power hitter

40 ? How hard do you hit ?

13. superfonzie

lets just say that i have played a lot of softball and i have been called freak of nature, hideous, man child, chunkybutt, lots of tasty adjectives to describe my hitting abilities ... alwaysbeen known as a better hitter than a defensive player but i can still mash the ball pretty well with utrip asa or senior bats... im a line drive hitter and my home runs are not MOONSHOTS like a Mark McGuire they are more like screaming backspin liners that leave the park in a hurry. i spin the ball well because i have a level to chopping down on the ball swing .... we call it getting some UNDERMONKEY on the ball... the kind of hit that when you hit a line drive the out fielder will come running in thinking it will sink and it just keeps going at the same level and even rising over his head all the way th the fence and beyond ... now for you critics out there there is a little braggery in here but he asked how hard i hit and i described it to the best of my ability. You can see some webbing but i see it only on the outer paint layer because it was made in ***** and they are rushing to get to market, its a flat base type of paint and not shiny like some bats so i expect some flaking and chipping ...stay tuned BATFANS ... more to come tomrw !!!

nuff said ..... enjoy the pics and i will try to post a video tomrw with the wifeys ipad and you can see for your self how the bat performs!!

Super

14. stork

Where exactly do you bp? Probably staying in Wheat Ridge, but going down south by Park Meadows later.

15. phoenix26

Looks like they used some DeMarini paint:D

16. superfonzie

58th n Kipling on F6 at. Lutz/Apex complex it's one of the bigger fields around Denver that allows us use Almost anytime we wanna go there ... Sent u a pm. ... Hit me back I'm sure we know each other

Super

17. stork

Returned. I'll be down by 29th & Wads so that is close. Wouldn't mind getting a couple swings in before putting my gear away for winter.

18. superfonzie

Here we GO!!

[​IMG]

here is where we hit at F6 Lutz Complex … home plate to fence is 326'

can't wait to see you giggle like fat kid in a candy store when you hit with this bat….

Super

19. stork

I still giggle in a candy store cuz I have a major sweet tooth. Metabolism still working for me though. Will do what I can to make this happen.

20. superfonzie

hit me up with a PM with a telly no and then ill get you mine and when you get here if its decent out we'll meet up and get er dun!!! then you can also tell the masse how this bat feels, the more people that swing it the better,, more opinions more feedback for Easton…

Super

21. stork

Sounds good. Weather shows clear…for now but just a little cooler. Hope it holds out.

22. superfonzie

If you look close at some of the pics...

it says made in ***** … which can't be all good when you are rushing to market with a new product, don't get me wrong i love the bat and i don't care where its made… just so long as they still keep making them … and more versions of the same model… maybe an EL or two piece!!!

Super

23. lefty tn

lefty tn Hit it hard and far

Can'T wait until the senior easrton comes out. All I swing for bp is eastons. They last forever. Great company.

24. superfonzie

did not get to swing the Senior today had to play in a Coed tourney this am just got home at 1ish and all my buddies are now watching/going to the Broncos game… hopefully the weather holds up here and ill get some swings in this week with a video review… trying to talk the wife into pitching to me now and ill have my boy do the video … thats a big IF … not sure that will happen… but I'm begging now… more to come !!!

Super

25. pj3p

pj3p Senior Power Hitter :-)

classic m balls are 40 cor and will destroy a senior bat way before its time.

26. superfonzie

classic M/+

the classic M/+ we have are actually 44/375 its right on the balls, diamond zulu and Lexum Baden for asa which is the same 44/375… and if I'm breaking the bat in and it breaks then that is what Easton needs me to do is get feedback on the bats performance and durability …

Super

27. pj3p

pj3p Senior Power Hitter :-)

Classic M and Plus balls have no cor or compression information on them
    Classic M is 40 cor 325 compression + or - 5 lbs for every degree + or - 72
    Classic Plus is 52 cor and 225 min 375 max in 40-100 degree weather.
    Pages 13-14 of the rule book posted below.
    [ame]http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-general/2013SPRuleBook.pdf[/ame]

#27 pj3p, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  28. SoftballDad52

SoftballDad52 Albino Rhino

How does it "feel" weight wise? Endloaded, balanced? 12 inch barrel or 13.5? What easton model does it most resemble for swing/feel? SP12SY100W? L2? SCX3? SCX22? OG Synergy? Thanks, Rick

29. stork

I hit fonzies stick today and I will say it is a very nice bat. Brought my 27 sy100W and 28 sy100 and I would say it swung similar to the 100w but that could be due to the weight. It had a little softer barrel than the 100w but it does not have a soft barrel per se. If you are a fan of 1 pc Eastons (as I am), you will love it. Fonzie can tell you a closer hit count, but it feels very solid. Time will tell on durability, but this thing felt like it still had some opening up to do and it felt "Easton solid". I do not have any real experience with other senior bats(still almost 5 years from seniors) but with the Elder I was getting about another 30+' on my hits compared to 100W and sy100. I am not a masher, so my typical long ball will go 290-310' and my longest today went about 340' maybe. And that was with my back seizing up on me after my first round (Blame it on near whiffs with that damn 26 Mercy which is another story). My back should already qualify for senior league. :eek:

Cliff notes: If you are fond of 1pc Eastons, you will really like this bat.

30. ABLXTRA

ABLXTRA veteran

12 inch or 13.5 barrel

31. superfonzie

Senior Bat

its very balanced a lil barrel heavy but by no means end loaded… we hit today and the bat is getting better every outing hit with STORK, and two other Senior players… they all seem to have good things to say about the bat

Super

32. superfonzie

good Q???

13.5 in barrel and looks and feels like an L2, but way more POP!!!

33. ABLXTRA

ABLXTRA veteran

thanks I scrolled through the pict after I posted and saw 13.5 if it hits like a 1st batch scx2 I'm all over it

if it is weighted like a L2 or a L4 I may not be for me

do you know if it is made for the 52/275 or the 44/375

just some info about me.
    my first year playing 50+ this year using 52/275 in league
    in cool weather I use a senior bat (UII)and a 52core good combination
    warm weather and 52core ball senior bat not so good. I used a USSSA z2k on warm humid days instead of the UII, and was asked what I was swinging and accused of it being shaved

#33 ABLXTRA, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  34. superfonzie

SCX2 = Easton Elder

also my first year playing 50+ so I'm new to this also but boy it looks like a good year, and what a time to start playing senior ball, the exact same year that EASTON comes out with their own Senior bat…. it just don't get better than this...

no idea yet but all i have hit w it are 44/375 league balls, not end loaded at all, i think its nicely balanced but its a 27 oz, and yes i think it feels like the SCX2 all over again, now i am biased because i have been swinging Easton for 20 yrs, some people that swing 26 have a bit of an issue getting it squared up but boy when you do its lights out!!!
    its holding up fine and id say its opening up more each time we hit with it… gonna post a pic and measurements of the field we hit on shortly after i get some viddles in me

yes i think it feels like an scx2

not endloaded ..very balanced

was not told about what balls to hit w and what not too ..its in field test mode now so i guess they will figure that one out…they = EASTON

Super

#34 superfonzie, Nov 2, 2013
  35. ABLXTRA

ABLXTRA veteran

great info . I am an Easton fan through and through but I have strayed to a z2k for mush balls . the L2 and L4 hit the harder balls great . I have not swung a batter bat than an ASA stamped UII for senior with 44/375 at this point I'm still trying other bats that team mates have.

36. superfonzie

ok here is where we hit today…
    [​IMG]

now the measurements are 340' LF 365' LC 400' CF
    the last round for me i got up to home plate to get an accurate footage of how far the balls were flyin, now this will seem a bit of braggery again but i have witness's who were there and chased balls i was hitting and i was told by Mike and Doc that these were the lines i was hitting and the approx footages
    [​IMG]

first line from top = 340 ish
    second line from top =385 to sidewalk on the fly best ball hit all day MASHED!!!
    third line from the top = 350 ish
    fourth line from top = 375 ish

all the lines represent balls that went OUT of the filed of play, i hit several more out but no need to bore you all with lines and stuff, just wanna post some decent shots that were hit today and footages so you an see for yourself that this bat is for REAL!!!! its got the goods… its all that and a bag of chips!! IMHO

Im 6'0 250ish, a bit fluffy but i swing like a freak ….. and always been known for hitting more so than defense

Super

#36 superfonzie, Nov 2, 2013
  37. superfonzie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

google earth distances… i know i would have probably hit the U2 just as well but the facts are that this bat has approx 175 swings and is not fully broken in, also I'm told that this bat will come with a 1yr warranty, and the wrapper that came on the bat had the registration card with a 1yr warranty reg card in it … mistake i don't know but if this truly comes with a 1yr warranty it should be the best bat avail HANDS DOWN!!! especially if it sells at the 229$ price point, again IMHO… and yes i am biased … who wouldn't be !!!

AGAIN SORRY FOR THE GIANT PICS… BUT AT LEAST I POST PICS

Super

#37 superfonzie, Nov 2, 2013
  38. obagain

obagain Dr. bats are for wimps

The problem I have with Easton is when the senior bat craze started we had talks with them and they basically said the senior market was too small to put R&D into a senior bat so they would not be getting into the market.
    Now that several companies have shown the senior market can be a money maker the jump in.
    What could Easton bring to the market that other companies haven't done yet? Make a senior bat that is durable (what they do best), the holy grail that all are trying for.
    Seeing the paint chip so early tells me this bat will not be much different than the other senior bats.
    Why should I spend my money with a company that was so against giving me a product I wanted?

39. tkr18

tkr18 Addicted to Softballfans

If performance is only equal to or possibly even slightly better than current senior bats (or even U2), is the real selling point Easton durability + a warranty return?

I am not trying to cause a furor, just trying to sort it out.

40. Madbeers

Madbeers Boss Awesomesauce

Wish there was an endloaded version.