Fire and Ice

Discussion in 'Easton' started by MightyGazelle, Sep 1, 2018.

1. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

Anybody swing one of these yet? Do they swing light or heavy? Was told to go up an oz with the bubba club because of the extra small barrel and the 28oz is perfect. Same thing with this bat I wonder?

2. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

Me too. 28 bubba swings pretty light

chile and MightyGazelle like this.
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Coach

26oz feels true to swing weight

bubz24 and MightyGazelle like this.
  4. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

I swing a 27 freak 30 which is perfect for me. Ordered a 28 fire and ice because of the shorter barrel. I’m hoping my theory is correct!

5. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

Good luck, let us know how it works out

MightyGazelle likes this.
  6. bubz24

bubz24 Addicted to Softballfans

A friend has a 26oz and it swings and feels the same as the Freak30 (Black/Red) and Freak12 or your typical 0.5oz endloaded Miken swing weight.

7. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

Got my 28. It’s the lightest 28 I have ever swung. Felt lighter than my 27 Redline. I’m glad I went with a 28. It swings really smooth, and I think is even a little hotter out of the wrapper than the redline. Great bat.

8. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

Thanks very much for the feedback, guess I’ll stick with the Helmer X since it sounds like the X swings heavier.

9. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

Yeah it feels like about a half oz end load. That combined with the shorter barrel makes it swing light. Not sure what the Helmer x is. Red/blueline swing pretty heavy as well.

10. bird25

bird25 34/30 Club #25

X has the same specs as the blue and red lines. 1 oz endload and feels like it

11. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

I agree with consensus of 1/2 EL and whips around light due to 11"

Start hot AF and gets gross quick however. Fun to swing, but I can't game this lol. My buddy is smashing with it mind you, and put down his Resmondo Easton for it.

12. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

Anyone compression test one of these right out of the wrapper? How about after 100 swings?

13. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Short barrel bats have traditionally been more endloaded, not less. Think fast pitch bottle bat versus any baseball bat. It makes no sense to make a short barrel bat balanced.

14. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

Why can’t you game it, out of curiosity?

15. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

Why bring a knife to a gun fight? (In my hands understanding my limits and tendencies)

Why on earth would do I do myself a disservice and game a short barrel like this with a much smaller sweet spot when I can smash straight gas with a 13-14" barrel and way bigger more consistent sweet spot?

Leaving myself margin of error. That would be why. I want to be better, so going for less doesn't make any sense to me.

Fun BP stick but i'd never put this in play personally. I'd be sacrificing heat on mi****s that would get me on base otherwise.

16. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

Its a preference thing. Many guys really prefer a shorter barrel with the sweetspot out toward the end of the bat. Any competent hitter won't have a problem finding the sweetspot on this bat. Once you get used to short barreled bats it isn't hard at all to find the sweetspot consistently.

If you really want to be better, train yourself to hit with short barrel bats. Then when you pick up your DC41(or whatever) it will seem too easy to find that massive sweetspot.

17. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

I guess if you can hit as far as you want to hit with a big barrel, then true, why switch? I personally think I get more power out of short barrels and have never had a problem hitting the sweet spot. I like the sweet closer to the end of the barrel and if I can get more bat speed, why not? It’s like swinging a driver vs a 2x4. Extreme example I know, but same basic concept. No right answer here, personal preference as stated above.

18. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

This is truth 100% and I do...

All personal preferences for sure. I was just asked personally why I ain't gaming it. That was why.

I find I've hit the longest shots with shorts barrels, swing is speedier, less drag.... But, the bigger sweet spot for the overall game of softball not just long balls is moreso my choice.

Same reasons I swing light EL to Bal vs sledgey EL... Preference... For me with the full game in mind, not just the big hits.

19. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

I usually try to bring a couple endloaded bats and a couple balanced bats to tournies. I'll swing both, depending on the situation. I'm not going to use a bat with a huge endload when I'm up there looking for an oppo single. I probably won't swing a balanced bat when I'm looking to mash a ball out through a headwind either.

I think swinging a 14" barrel bat constantly can make your swing lazy. You get so dependent on the bat (and its massive sweetspot) that you get sloppy and end up missing that huge sweetspot more often than you should. Swinging bats with 12" barrels sometimes keeps your swing crisp and you'll hit the sweetspot more often.

msw4indy and MightyGazelle like this.
  20. lukeamdman

lukeamdman Active Member

I made the switch from a DC-41 to a Bubba Club this season and there's no turning back. Without fixing my swing first though this would have been a disaster.

21. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

What exactly did you do to your swing to enable you to swing the Bubba Club effectively? I only have a couple swings with the Bubba Club, but both of them found the sweetspot. Hitting the sweetspot on a short barreled bat is not as hard/dramatic as some people make it sound.

bakesta72 likes this.
  22. lukeamdman

lukeamdman Active Member

The three major changes were leveling my swing, better arm extension, and snapping my wrists sooner.

Most of the problem was standing to close to the plate, which made timing much more difficult and I had to "fight off" the pitches. That combined with poor arm extension was a lot of hits on the inside of the barrel.

Stepping back a full 18" from the plate forced better arm extension but now hitting toward the end cap was frequent. This was instantly a much better and more consistent swing, although power still wasn't where it should be.

The last change with leveling my swing and snapping sooner was instant power with the added benefit of consistent backspin in the ball.

I've played the last 8 games with the Bubba Club and have hit 5 HR so far.

23. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

Good stuff. Glad you figured out some new mechanics. It always feels so good to have a swing breakthrough.

24. Hiltz

Hiltz Oozing with... something.

Anybody that plays wood bat softball should still feel like a 10" composite barrel is cheating.

I started BPing wood bats exclusively this summer, it's probably one of the best things a person can do for their swing.

25. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

I don't exactly disagree with you.

A lot depends on how the game goes.

Lately been swinging Demarini Nautalai almost exclusively. Saw myself park it on Sat and back to Dedonatis Legot as we kept hitting Max HR rule and had to keep it low and hard for last half of games. (Short fences so lifting the ball in general was dumb by then).

The next bat in line for me is a 12.75 Easton Resmondo - My buddy is now gaming Fire & Ice or Green 17 Helmers so I am grabbing his Ressy and will have that in rotation with Nautalais and D3 Legits.

I really can't fathom anything 2019 being so much better. Unless Demarini improved paint and durability of Nautalai. Easton already openly admitted to scaling back the Fire Flexes lol.

26. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

So Easton is sacrificing some performance for durability in 2019? What about the 2019 Redline? It’s suppised to be a blueline repaint, but is it the exact same technology, or the new, less hot, more durable stuff?

27. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

I meant Fire Flex 2....

I was also sarcastic about it lasting "20%" longer at the same time. They fail rapidly, even 20% is laughable.

But, they've openly admitted to scaling the performance back in doing so.... no?

28. MightyGazelle

MightyGazelle Member

Agreed. Just wasn’t sure if fireflex 2 and redline were made out of the same material. My league doesn’t have compression testing so failing miserably at the beginning of the season is an ideal bat for me :)

29. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

Redline is still a 2018.

Material likely close, I think they just had to take the Fire Flex bats and tame them a wee bit.

Hoping personally it changes the feel a little. OG FF was a great performing bat, but felt like crap to me. Just didn't love the feel and wasn't for me. My GF too, she keeps going back to her stupid gas black 16 Flex or 17 Helmer for the feel. We just can't seem to like the feel of the OG FF we own.

30. kvander

kvander Addicted to Softballfans

I'm really sorry to hear that. Let me know when I can swing by and take that piece of junk off your hands.