First Base Mitts

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by mpk, Jul 10, 2018 at 3:06 AM.

1. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

I've been filling in at first base on my team here and there so I've been thinking about getting a first base mitt to add to the family. From what I can tell, it looks like pretty much everyone loves the DCT pattern. I've never really even used a first base mitt but I like the looks of the DCT and like the post web as opposed to other first base mitts with the closed pitcher style web. Currently using my Rawlings PRO1000-SBF at first which I'm still not sure if I like or not - but that's another story.

Since this isn't really my primary position, I'm not sure I want to drop $250+ on a Rawlings DCT but I see that other companies use the DCT pattern. The upcoming Rawlings Horween Limited run looks awesome and I'm tempted to kill two birds with one stone and get my first horween glove and a 1st base mitt all in one but again - price and not my primary position. Plus I don't even know when those will be offered and don't really want have to fight through the frenzied crowd to get one.

I had a good experience with my 44 pro RV23 clone that I got last year so I was thinking I might try out their first base mitt. It looks like it might even be the DCT pattern.

Questions:
    1. Can anyone speak to the 44 first base mitt? Is it a DCT?
    2. Any recommendations among other companies that use the DCT pattern?
    3. Is 13" the ideal size for slowpitch? I have average size hands and wear a large batting glove.
    4. If I get a custom, want to offer any inspirations on color combos? I trend toward traditional black or tan looks but I'm feeling open to trying something new.

Budget is probably in the $150 range. Oh, and RHT.

sleepin4matty likes this.
  2. Committed

Committed Active Member

Wilson A200 1883. Another member is selling one for cheap...

3. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

4. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

5. Felks32

Felks32 Addicted to Softballfans

sleepin4matty and ANNASDAD like this.
  6. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

I understand completely, and actually thought the same thing.......until I held it and tried it on at the outlet! DCT pattern and great price.......

mpk likes this.
  7. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

I knew I'd get this answer. :)

Sell a glove? That's like asking me to sell one of my kids. Hmmm... that gives me an idea.

ANNASDAD and sleepin4matty like this.
  8. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

Suggestion #1: Jump on this one.
    DCTs are stamped at 13", but measure 12.5" and like to close with a single break at the hinge. If that's what you want, it's a great pattern. The 1883 is stamped 12.5" but measures nearly 13" and has a deeper pocket than the DCT. Weird that it measures so much larger than stamped: Wilson revised the 1883 pattern 10+ years ago, making it bigger, but left the 12.5" size stamp on it. Only drawback to the pattern is that they have a binding that runs around the perimeter of where the web attaches (covering the seam between the front and back). That leather won't last as long as the glove -- although it is not a functional issue. Six finger traps have the same issue, but the spiral lace protects the this binding leather.

Suggestion #2: If you like the DCT pattern but want it in a larger size, Gloveworks offers it in a 13.25" size (which measures 13"). And you can probably get one for $150.

CircleL and sleepin4matty like this.
  9. CircleL

CircleL Starting Player

Big fan of suggestion #2 because that is what i did and i love my Gloveworks and have been gaming it for 2+ years at 1B.

10. Stretch19

Stretch19 Grow up

11. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

Well that escalated quickly

12. defos

defos Active Member

Rawlings Gold Glove Elite GGEFBBR is the same pattern as the 13" ProPreferred, which I think is the DCT pattern. It works very well for softball. The GGEFBBR is the two-tone model. They can and do get soft, but the camel colored model that followed it seems to be a little stiffer. I have a two-tone now (pm me if it interests you), had and sold both a PP and a camel GGE. A GGE is the right pattern and in your price range.

13. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

Looks like a decent contender. I'm not usually a fan of camel gloves because of how they look dirty so quickly but I do kind of like that camel version.

Anyone ever had a 44 Pro first base mitt?

14. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

I'm not really sure what size I want having never had a first base mitt before. I guess I'm thinking I'll go with what is popular with most people and see how it works for me. Am I right that 13" is most popular for slow pitch?

15. Gators21

Gators21 Manager

I've got the Rawlings HOH Goldschmidt one, minty condition. Great mitt, but I'd sell it because I've been interested in getting a Gloveworks one for a while now.

CircleL and ANNASDAD like this.
  16. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

A DCT will feel about as big as your 13" Pro1000. If you want something with a bit more reach, you need to go bigger.

mpk likes this.
  17. David the Gnome

David the Gnome The Veteran

My wife talked me into playing on the church softball team. I don't play first base a lot and didn't want to drop $200+ on a HOH/A2000 for a glove I'm only going to use occasionally, so I picked up one of these Rawlings GG Elite first base mitts. It's a DCT pattern and, while the leather is definitely softer than a HOH, it's not terrible.

I think these are a Richard's exclusive, but you can get them there for less than $100. For a position I don't play that often, it was easy to get broken in and works great. It get's my stamp of approval, especially if you just need a glove to fill in.

[​IMG]

18. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

Yeah, I saw this one on that site. I'm hoping to get something with some better leather even thought I don't plan to use it much. The price point does make it very tempting though. The thing I struggle with is that I know I can get a 44 on sale for ~$140-150 and the leather quality there is much better plus the custom factor.

19. mpk

mpk Extra Hitter

After doing a bit of research on the Goldschmidt model, I found he actually uses a HOH dual core.

I like the colorway on the dual core much better. That gold (or is it yellow?) stitch and tan lace make a huge difference in the looks IMO. If the retail model was the same and a standard HOH, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

62087a_lg.jpeg Paul-Goldschmidt-Rawlings-First-Base-Mitt-2.jpg

#19 mpk, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:29 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 9:52 PM