Harvey asa

Discussion in 'Worth' started by thelastsamurai, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Doug

Doug Softball Enigma

Finally got a chance to hit the Harvey today. We had snow twice here during the week, but now it's finally in the 60's (and some of the bluest sky I've seen in months!) I didn't play winter ball this year to let my Achilles heal; today was the first time I hit against live pitching since the beginning of October. I put exactly 30 hits on it today all 52's except a couple of BP rockets.

My 28oz. measures up (actual weight 28.3, balance point 21.25" from knob) as one of the highest swing-weight bat's I've owned, but to me it swings like butter. It's just heavy enough that I know it's there, and man does it put a hurt into the ball. The sweetspot is basically the entire barrel. Even this fat, old, lazy, out of shape donut man was hitting the ball 300+ straight out of the wrapper. The picture was taken with me standing 60' out from 2B. The field goes out to about 400' from home plate in RC.

I love this bat! No need for anything else in the bag for ASA, except maybe a second one.

[​IMG]

dunkky, Bagz, Dan411 and 1 other person like this.
  2. jhitman

jhitman Well-Known Member

I am getting my ASA Harvey tomorrow from a local bat rep. I am really looking forward to swinging it. Just one question, how many swings to fully break in? Is it the standard 50-150 swings?

3. seniorss

seniorss Addicted to Softballfans

If it's anything like my Balanced EST, it took 20 swings with 44/375 to open up and after 90 swings it was lights out. Hope this helps.

4. Jusrah99

Jusrah99 Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!

Mine took 1 swings...

chile, ShortYellowBus and dunkky like this.
  5. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

my teammate brought this last week fresh out of wrapper. another teammate, who had only one bomb last season, clear the fence twice with harvey in one night. this bat is legit oow. I was gonna swing it as well, but it didn't have a cone on handle. it's awkward with overlap grip.

6. Doug

Doug Softball Enigma

Standard answer: it depends on which balls are use and how hard you swing. It’s good OOW, but you will see some improvement after 100-200 hits with 52‘s. After the first round of BP, let some other people use it so that they will hit it in different spots than you do, and then it’ll be really good to go

7. jhitman

Thanks guys for the replies. I have a mix of 52's and stadium balls. Just wanted to make sure the harder softballs wouldn't damage the bat. The stadium balls will definitely help to get it up to speed faster. Although, it doesn't sound like it takes much. I also sold a Miken Freak 20th Anniversary bat to the same bat rep. because I was dropping down an ounce. I thought it was a dud, but at the 150-200 swing mark it completely changed. It was mashing the 52's really well. I've been hitting mostly USSSA bats with the 52's but I think the ASA bats might be a little better.

8. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

have fun with your new stick. don't bother with any hardball. i doubt it but if it does require break in, a few swings with 52 is enough. this dude who cleared the fence twice last friday in very hot day has just about equal power as i do, which isn't much but says all. :) he loves my xxl which he used last season for this 1st bomb ever and he said harvey is equal in performance.

9. Kernsoftball

Kernsoftball Active Member

No old ASA stamped balls not meant for it, swing with 52s hot pretty much right out the wrapper. It is just like any bat gets better with more hits on it. Have fun with it mines at 75 and it is fire.

ShortYellowBus likes this.
  10. Doug

Doug Softball Enigma

Stadium balls are about the same as 44/375 for how much they impact the bat. Higher COR offsets the much higher compression. If you’re using a pop up machine, hitting off a tee or throwing it up to yourself it should be OK, but With divergence type bats I would not use anything but 52’s against live pitching or a machine that throws the ball from the pitcher’s position, due to the higher combined impact velocity.

#70 Doug, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  11. jhitman

Just was going to use the stadium softballs in soft toss, but if the bat breaks in as fast as you guys say, I can just hit the 52's and it will be gtg.

Kernsoftball likes this.
  12. Kernsoftball

Kernsoftball Active Member

Just hit 52s, bat is hot with limited amount of swings.

13. jhitman

Thanks I will try it today. As soon as I picked it up last night I liked the feel of the bat right away. I think I like the 1/2 ounce endoad better as I feel I have more control.

14. saintrules

saintrules Active Member

About to place an order on this fine piece either tonight or tomorrow...

In terms of "most talked about", I don't think another bat came anywhere close to the Harvey...nearly every single person I spoke to recommended it in their Top 2/3 & most labeled it as their favorite stick of 2018.

Excited :cool:

Jusrah99 likes this.
  15. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

Nope. Its all in their head or they did not swing enough bats. There are tons of them in same ball park. Just preference.

16. jhitman

It depends what fits your swing as a lot of the new bats are very similar and good. I liked the Harvey ASA because it has just 1/2 ounce endload and I can control the bat better through the hitting zone. Got a chance to swing it in soft toss yesterday and right out of the wrapper it was good. Hoping it will get hotter as more swings are put on it, but not one complaint so far. Love the feel of the bat.

17. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

Isnt harvey basically est xl repaint? Or is it something different? I may try to swing it next time since my teammate has it. But i prefer maxload personally.

18. saintrules

saintrules Active Member

I whole hardheartedly agree about bats being preference. In my own way, I define the "top bats" or "best out there" as those who can appeal and work well for the mass. In terms of the Harvey, it seems like the 1/2 oz EL is a favorite for both balanced and EL fans because you can down the weight to keep it workable through the zone, or up the weight, with addition of the EL, for a smoother, heavier swing. Something you can't do with a balanced stick or full+ oz EL bat.

and yes, the Harvey is just Ryan Harvey's personal EST XL.

19. jhitman

I agree.....that's exactly why I liked it as soon as I picked it up. I used to be a balanced guy years ago and then fell in love with the endloaded bats. Some of the endloads are pretty heavy and can mess with your swing and throw your timing off. The Harvey seems to be that perfect balance at least for me. I can get the best of both worlds.

jkwoody22 and saintrules like this.
  20. jkwoody22

jkwoody22 League ball huer

The Harvey is supposed to have a little more stiffer handle than an est/B.B. legit, some peeps notice it, some don’t

21. Jusrah99

Jusrah99 Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!

Thats what i heard...i finally took my Harvey out in BP...still has the ping noise, but it kills all balls, had a few 44’s and Blue Dots in there...hit them all really well...i can’t wait til the ping goes away and its fully broken in...

#81 Jusrah99, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  22. jhitman

I had it out this weekend and it was okay with the 52's but thought it would do more. As it started to loosen up it was showing signs of life. I really like the feel of the bat so hoping it will continue to progress.

23. saintrules

saintrules Active Member

Mine is coming in tomorrow.

Going to BP it, maybe 50 hacks or so, and then give it two live games later in the evening. I may do a more extensive review on it once I learn it's language

24. ichiromoco

ichiromoco Addicted to Softballfans

Ordered mine following your lead...

25. jhitman

It's has a nice feel to it Jeremy. Just 1/2 ounce endload so it swings smooth like a balanced bat. Nice big sweetspot, but mine is taking some time to get hot. Some say their's was hot out of the wrapper, but mine wasn't. Once I hit a few of the better softballs it seemed to start opening up. I sold a Freak 20th Anniversary bat and it was the same. Once it got to about 200 hits it changed and got hot. Also, my buddy has a 2017 Miken ASA Supermax (black/green) and that bat is crushing the 52's. The new version for 2018 is available here, but don't know anyone that has hit it yet for opinions.

26. ichiromoco

ichiromoco Addicted to Softballfans

My nerves have been calmed...thx.

27. saintrules

saintrules Active Member

The '18 Miken DC41 is a sledge hammer...probably one of the heaviest swinging bats on the market right now, even in a 26, it feels heavier than anything else. From a performance standpoint, there's practically no difference between it, the XL, and the EST Balanced. I looked at it for a while, but a lot of guys on the team that has it weren't swinging it & were preferring the 20th anni more times than not.

I think chile or someone said it best, it keeps teammates away, thing takes some elbow grease to get going.

Donger73 likes this.
  28. jhitman

I agree. My buddy's 26 ounce Supermax ASA feels like it has more than an ounce of endload in it. It can definitely mess with your swing if you are not used to the heavy endloaded bats. I prefer the 1/2 ounce endload as it for me is the best of both worlds between balanced and heavy endload. Liking the Harvey so far....might pick up a Freak 20th Anniversary as that hits the 52's great once you get to that 200 swing mark.