Has anyone ever changed the way they close their gloves?

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by NYC, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:20 AM.

1. NYC

NYC Part Time Player

For most of my life I preferred a thumb to middle even a thumb to index closure, but lately I find a thumb to ring/pinky closure to be a bit more comfortable. Anyone ever had this happen to them? I feel like I want the break point to be directly in the middle of the heel.

2. MaverickAH

MaverickAH Well-Known Member

Over 20 years ago I switched to breaking in my gloves thumb to pinkie after doing a detailed examination of how my hand functioned. The other thing I stopped doing was creating break points. I find them unnecessary for softball. A softball is ~3.5" in diameter. No need to create a break point & no need to have your glove close all the way. I just develop some flex in the heel & at the top of the web. Most of the work I do is at the bottom of the web in the area between the thumb & index because this is where there is the most layers of leather & on the pocket & general shaping.

I find that this method allows the glove to function more like an extension of my hand & it's definitely improved my fielding percentage.

As far as I'm concerned, a thumb to middle or index is a baseball carryover & not suitable for softball although some people still do it.

4xtra, defos, SBfanz42 and 1 other person like this.
  3. etnstudios

etnstudios Addicted to Softballfans

i find the shoeshine method is best for getting that middle heel break. what you don't want is any crease that you can really point at as the break point. should work to get a nice U shape down there. it takes a bit longer to achieve but is worth it.

4. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Addicted to Softballfans

I've switched from conv, thumb to middle. To tip, thumb to ring. It just makes for a much more secure pocket.

5. Gators21

Gators21 Manager

In the past couple of years, I switched from traditional to TIP (index out on both) just on OF gloves - IF and P gloves, traditional still all the way. For OF gloves, I've got to have a thumb to pinky or ring break ; IF gloves, I'm good with thumb to ring or middle break. On a couple of my newer gloves I've been going TIP, but with index finger inside the glove in its normal index finger stall, while couch catching and breaking them in - feels real good and secure, and I'm going to play them that way whenever they see the field. That's a big move for me, because I've always been an index out guy going all the way back to little league!

6. NYC

NYC Part Time Player

One thing I will never do is go TIP:)
    Funny thing is I got my first glove at like 7-8 years old and it was a 13 inch bargain bin glove, I had to go Two In the Ring finger lol. Of coarse my little league coach took one look at the glove and put me in the outfield. I was horrible the first season till I finally learned to not come in for every fly ball.

7. DatDuke

DatDuke Well-Known Member

Back and forth with catching for my son, and playing infield or out field with beer ball. So I'm all over the place. Some of my gloves are tip. But mostly I am traditional.

8. SBfanz42

SBfanz42 Member

I know it's weird but I go 3 in the pink even when I play IF

9. jp_n25

jp_n25 New Member

I was a P in my younger years whilst playing hardball so I always went traditional with index out. Now I'm playing 3B in modified and I've switched to TIP as I feel it forms a better pocket for the 12" softball.

10. bigmac25

bigmac25 Extra Hitter

my guess is you've just been using your rv23. that pattern slowly/naturally changes it.
    Once you go to something else it'll prob be back to how you were unless you make it a point to convert

11. NYC

NYC Part Time Player

Honestly it began when I bought my pro303-ctb