Hitting up the Middle

Discussion in 'Open Slow Pitch Board' started by mav3134, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Nobody said he was a terrible fielder...you're putting words in my mouth. I simply said that a person that get hit while pitching was technically unsuccessful at fielding their position and somehow you found a way to argue that. So I'm not really sure which of us is the one who likes to argue.

And if you continue to "SMH" you're going to get vertigo.

2. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

I'll take a free base

3. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Totally agree with this. But again, hitting a middle hole and hitting at a pitcher are often the same thing in practice.

4. blakcherry329

blakcherry329 Well-Known Member

Did I read this incorrectly or just misconstrue what this meant?

5. EdFred

EdFred every day I'm shovelin'

What guys don't realize at there are balls hit hard enough, there is not enough time for ANYONE to react.

6. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Hitting a batter is not illegal.

7. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Just something to think about, these Mashers are blasting monster homeruns in mlb with exit speeds near 100 mph. When those pitchers get hot it's totally because they're of balance falling toward the plate. In slowpitch were barely more than half that distance, but presumably set to field it. It can get pretty hairy.

8. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Rule 6.02 9:

Intentionally Pitch at the Batter. If, in the umpire's judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:

1. Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or

2. may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager. If, in the umpire's judgment, circumstances warrant, both teams may be officially "warned" prior to the game or at any time during the game. (League Presidents may take additional action under authority provided in Rule 9.05) To pitch at a batter's head is unsportsmanlike and highly dangerous. It should be_and is_condemned by everybody. Umpires should act without hesitation in enforcement of this rule.

#308 Jerrshoe, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  9. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

I'm not sure how you interpreted what I said. Taking that comment in the context of the conversation at the time, if a pitcher is so concerned that they are going to get hurt that their only recourse is to ask that the batter not hit the ball to them...then yes, it is time to find a new position or a league with different restrictions regarding equipment that make the game slow down to a point at which they are comfortable. There is no shame in that. We all have jobs to report to on Monday. Where I get tweaked is when guys start making some BS moral argument about how we shouldn't be hitting middle because the pitcher might get hurt. Demand your local league to implement a rule about hitting middle, or put a net up, or whatever. But don't step on the field, knowing the rules, then try to morally demonize someone for simply playing by them.

Do I understand that even Andy Purcell will get nailed from time to time....yes. Does that make him an incapable fielder....of course not. But I can guarantee he isn't walking around crying about how the game isn't fair, or the bats are too hot, or the balls are too hard, or the mean batters should stop hitting the ball at him. It's kind of sad really.

Every time a pitcher steps on the mound they know the risk they take. When the result is a painful bruise, etc, their first reaction is to blame someone else or something else for their risky decision. I'm just asking for a little personal responsibility and honesty in the discussion. So far nobody has convinced me that this is somehow the hitters fault.

10. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Totally agree with this, but now we are having a discussion about how the rules need to be changed. I can be on board with that. Until they are changed however, the game is the game. Don't throw stones at some guy for simply playing the game as the rules are written or invent some imaginary gray area that simply doesn't exist in the laws that govern that particular sanction.

11. blakcherry329

All this stuff you just wrote was not in your original post. So I took it in the context of the post. However, you are lumping all pitchers into one group, yet again.

On one thing we agree, if you're scared, don't pitch.

12. Jorge Valderama

Jorge Valderama Well-Known Member

I got into pitching with the expectation I'm gonna get blasted at least once a game. Once I came to that realization it made being aggressive and playing loose much easier. If your shook out there, your not gonna be as effective.

blakcherry329 likes this.
  13. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Cute. Something else to consider. If you're looking for the reason you leg hurts, it's probably the fault of the guy with the glove on his hand that doesn't have the ball in it.

14. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

The ball is too hard. That's a statement if fact, and I am not crying for saying it.

You didn't say a pitcher that asks people to not hit at him should find a new position. You said any pitcher that gets hit should. You said any pitcher that can't field their position should change, and then said any other that's ever been hit can't field their position. Your Purcell posts clears up what you meant, but that is what you said and why people have been on you.

15. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Well maybe what we have here is a failure to communicate. I perhaps assumed it would be understood given the entire point of the comments on this threat were aimed at batters being *******s for hitting middle, that it would be understood I was referring to those pitchers trying to argue exactly that. My bad I suppose. It still doesn't negate the fact that there is a ton of crying on here and misplaced blame for who or what puts a pitcher in a compromising position.

16. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Thanks for making my point. It's unsportsmanlike, umpires should act, and it's only illegal the second time if it's intentional. Hitting a batter is not against the rules.

17. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Every fielder is in a compromising position. Some more than others. It becomes more dangerous with super hard balls, shaved bats, and *******s swinging them.

I've never killed a man. If it's completely an accident I might be able to keep playing softball. If taking a life, or potentially being a contributing factor in someone's death isn't a moral issue for you I think we're done here.

SammyJaxxx likes this.
  18. ddoubler

ddoubler Addicted to Softballfans

Completely disagree

19. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Just saw this. That gray area has always been in all sports. It's called bush league, and you know you've heard of it.

20. bartxe

bartxe 1st base coach

lol will this thread ever end?

blakcherry329 likes this.
  21. blakcherry329

22. Jorge Valderama

Jorge Valderama Well-Known Member

if this one ends, some noob will make another one in 2 weeks.

23. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

So we're putting "unsportsmanlike" offenses in the official MLB rulebook and encouraging umpires to take action? It's illegal both times, the punishment varies for the second offense. It's absolutely against the rules...hence it's entry in the rulebook, not to mention the consistent ejection of a the pitcher for doing it.

I'm done here. I've made my point, you're clearly drunk.

#323 Jerrshoe, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  24. Sully

Sully Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

I will say this rule is almost never enforced. The few times I've seen it, it's usually after several back and forth HBP. Hell, the Rangers hit Bautista the next year after the Bat Flip and everyone knew it was intentional. No one was ejected. Hell, Clemens hit Piazza in the batting helmet years ago and wasn't ejected. Even if everyone knows it's coming, you almost never see someone ejected on the first hit batter.

This rule falls under the same area as the Neighborhood play at 2B. The rule clearly says you have to touch the bag. Fielders, umpires and managers knew the middle infielders weren't touching the bag and the rule wasn't enforced.

25. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Is it a rule? Yes it is. That was the argument, not how strictly it was enforced.

26. Sully

I would be curious what Irish or NCASA or Bretman have to say about this. I'm sure they've seen this situation. This still seems more like you don't like it because it's a douche move than an ejection as a result of breaking a rule. So if three guys in a row come up and blow up the pitcher, but don't say they are trying to hit him, do you eject someone or let #4 take his shot?

27. Sully

If it's a rule and no one enforces it, does anyone actually hear the tree fall?

28. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

Yes...the tree ****ing made a sound when it fell.

Does not getting pulled over for going 67mph in a 65mph posted zone make your speeding any less illegal? I had better answer that for you because I'm not convinced you'll get it right. No...no it does not. What you've done is still as illegal as the day is long, the enforcement officer (in this scenario a cop) decided not to pull you over....that is all. It doesn't miraculously make the thing you did legal.

29. Jerrshoe

Jerrshoe Member

This is precisely what I've been saying all along. Trying to hit the pitcher is a douche move....however, the difference between hitting the middle hole and hitting the pitcher is quite literally inches, possibly fractions of inches, regarding where the bat connects with the ball. So far I've had one online future conference all star tell me that he can control his bat so well that he can hit within feet of the pitcher whenever he wants without ever actually hitting them....but of course we all believe that. It impossible to prove intent with hitting and consequently nearly impossible to regulate.

30. Sully

I was just screwing around with the tree thing, it wasn't serious. Lighten up Francis.