i will never...

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by chile, Oct 6, 2018.

1. chile

chile woo.

move onto an high end glove....been using my zett for almost 10yrs now....super comfy, closes almost flat...started using my Dudley lightning last season sparingly...love it almost as much as the zett (not quite there with the break in/comfort but reeeallly nice)….I don't see using another glove other than these for quite some time. /rant/observation

Normy likes this.
  2. jkwoody22

jkwoody22 League ball huer

You miss your sherry Rawlings, you are in the denial stage

Committed and chile like this.
  3. chile

chile woo.

that is true...I do miss that glove...that glove would still be a gamer but i needed $ more than a glove i spent more time admiring than fielding with ;) geez. thanks for that.

4. jkwoody22

To many cocktails tonight my bad

chile likes this.
  5. Drumbum37

Drumbum37 Addicted to Softballfans

Pics of said zett!

6. chile

chile woo.

7. Normy

Normy Well-Known Member

Why in God's green earth would us beer leaguers use high end gloves? Unless we're trying to match all those high end fire sticks ;)

MPT23 and chile like this.
  8. ShortYellowBus

ShortYellowBus Well-Known Member

Good point.

Perhaps we’re a jaded bunch looking to stroke the ego a bit?

Pink bats and a bright red glove makes a man feel like he just climbed Everest.

9. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Starting Player

... use the word that means at no time in the past or future about my glove buying ways.

10. NYC

NYC Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

I will never use a low end glove again. Life is too short.
    But it's not a knock on you, I used a Rawlings RBG series for a couple years and just when it molded to my hand perfectly the entire thing began to crumble and flake. The inserts got so weak that a hard line drive would bend the fingers back.

#10 NYC, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  11. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Definitely not a knock, you use what you like and with what works for you.

Heck, I don’t even play team ball anymore and I’ll never buy a cheap glove again! I just love owning them plus I coach so I have a glove on my hand practically every day.

For me it’s only exclusives, rare, odd, or discontinued, or just a crazy deal on a nice used glove I can’t turn down.

I just don’t want to own a glove that you can walk into DSG and buy. Guess I’m a snob!

12. jkwoody22

Well now I have to sell my boombah bca and my gs red 1799 lol, I feel like Chile

chile likes this.
  13. chile

chile woo.

I did really like that sherry rawlings...the Easton sits in the closet (in a box)...

sleepin4matty likes this.
  14. jkwoody22

There is something about a new high end glove, I like to buy one in the fall and break it in over the winter while I watch mlb playoffs and football, I use for the season and then generally sell it after the season, I have one that’s really broken in and use in the of and the newer one is stiffer for first and catcher, I do understand the comfort feeling of a glove that is molded and shaped to your hand, my favorite glove was a Rawlings rbg10 basketweb 13” that I used for 8-10 years, all flimsy and flat, brittle as can be, conditioned and relaced, but took a liner at first that bend the fingers backwards and hit me in the shoulder, that was my deciding factor, and I have tried many gloves since in the last 7 years, good to high end, but the break in process always wins me over, it’s theraputic

Felks32, Veritas and Wally Gator like this.
  15. defos

defos Active Member

I was the same way. I used a Dale Murphy RBG36 for about 18 years until it disappeared between games one night. I was playing SS 4-6 games a week at the time. It was an extension of my hand. Tried for several years to find a suitable replacement, settling on a GGP502-11C, like new that I bought for around $50. My dad passed away 6 years ago and left me some money, so I started looking for models I wanted to try. Soon started buying HOH and PP gloves fairly cheap to flip, which wasn't my original intent. I ran across a like new ProPreferred PROS27TFPP for $98 BIN shipped, intending to flip it - until I put my hand in it. Held onto it for 15 months before deciding to keep it and use it. I've since bought a couple more PPs - one I use and one I don't - that I most likely overpaid for, and a couple HOHs, so I'm done with the low end gloves. I will never disparage anyone for using a lower end glove, though, because had things not changed I'd still be using the RBG36 and loving it.

Wally Gator and jkwoody22 like this.
  16. ShortYellowBus

ShortYellowBus Well-Known Member

I started out real low...

Easton Cyclone 15”. Still have it.

5 year gamer.

17. Hiltz

Hiltz Oozing with... something.

Why, so you could buy 17 more bats? ;)

I'd rather play with a good glove and a beat-up old aluminum bat than a cheap glove and a top of the line new composite.

NYC likes this.
  18. chile

chile woo.

I'm making a concerted effort to reduce the bat count ;)...

sleepin4matty likes this.
  19. Normy

Normy Well-Known Member

Same here. After I dump the BB and Legends Plague, I'll be down to 4. That'll be it...after I get an Anarchy anyways :cool:

20. smarkley3

smarkley3 Certified Trap Hoe

That Zett is not a cheap POS. Its 10 years old and the leathers better than all the Wallymart, Big5 gloves gloves I see all day. I would snatch that baby up in a minute for cheap.....
    ou should see the shiity POS I see in my senior leagues. I am gonna start taking pics and make a post

Drumbum37 likes this.
  21. smarkley3

Morre better pic and for Gods sake, clean and condition it. Treat it like you would any dog that old, LOL

22. Hiltz

A lot of guys I play league with have about $1000 or more invested in bats and use a $50 glove they've had for 8 years.

And I don't want to sound like a glove snob, cheaper gloves can be perfectly serviceable. But for christ's sake, keep a ball in the pocket and take care of it. I see so many people finish a game with a wet/dirty glove, stuff it in their bag with no ball in it, stuff a bunch of gear on top of it, then leave their bag in their trunk until their next game.

23. smarkley3

Ahmen brother, I come home and wipe my gloves, shoes, dust my bag off. And I am a slob about civilian stuff, LOL

Unabomber likes this.
  24. bigmac25

bigmac25 Extra Hitter

I was going to say .. that would be pretty ironic/funny if that Z was a top of the line cow in its day. I remember some teammates as a kid who had some pretty nice/expensive ones

25. chile

chile woo.

LOL. Yeah, I think I paid $150 for it and it's rewarded me with a decade of faithful use, regardless of my indifference to its care :/...I was thinking of having it relaced (I would think it's about time)...idk.

26. defos

defos Active Member

$150 ten years ago bought a much better glove than it does now. I thought we were talking about $75 or probably less.

chile likes this.
  27. Hiltz

Yeah, $150 ten years ago could get you some decent leather, especially if you were paying that for a more obscure brand. I'm sure Zett didn't have the same endorsement deals that Rawlings and Wilson had and could actually put more into their glove quality.

The true test of good leather; strip it down completely, then thoroughly clean and condition it. Cheap gloves will look "better" after getting some TLC, a good glove can be restored to "like new" condition. It's time to give that Zett some lovin'.

smarkley3, Dan240 and chile like this.
  28. Rooster210

Rooster210 P-Pumpah #1

Is this the blonde one they had for $99 - bc I think you also bought the gray and white one? what don't you like about it or is it that you don't need to break it in/use it?

29. chile

chile woo.

The blonde... Which is a something that will get used but I've had the zett for 10 and the dudley feels like it'll last a good bit so yeah...Idk when the Easton will get used...I'd have to get rid of the others first ...

30. amace04

amace04 Member

When I was about 14 or 15 playing little league hardball, I finally bought a new glove, just some $40 POS from Sport Chek. I've used that glove every year since then until this year (now 29). I play primarily outfield, and I learned to love that glove. I could trust it, would never miss a ball. I knew its limitations, but made it work for me. It got to the point, I think I'd rather somebody steal my bat than my glove. The palm was paper thin, the laces and holes were nearly done, Some of the webbing actually broke.

A couple years ago, i knew it was about to go, so I bought the exact same glove on ebay for $15 just in case it failed, so I could switch over without getting used to a new glove. Well, it happened. The material around the pocket ripped, and I could no longer fix the pocket with zipties. It was time for a new glove.

I finally pulled the trigger on a nicer glove. nothing super high end, but Sport Chek was clearing out old gloves, and got a Rawlings that felt real nice for under $100. It took some getting used to, but I'm getting that same level of affection for this one, as I had for my old one. The bonus is, it's more comfortable, has better padding, and is slightly bigger (13" vs. 12.5") I have the same level of trust in this one as I did in my Wilson.

Moral of the story is, as much as you feel you can never let go, there's lots of gloves in the glove store. You'll find the one that's right for you.

Here's a few pics of my old gamer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new Rawlings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#30 amace04, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018