Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by recleagueonly, Jan 11, 2018.

1. recleagueonly

recleagueonly New Member

I'm interested but not committed to buying a new glove for slowpitch rec league. I'm out of my element compared to all the knowledge I see on this forum, so I wanted to ask for some advice. I've pretty much always played SS, I'm in rec league but take it fairly seriously. I had used a Rawlings Silverback 135 for about 8 years until it was stolen. Not sure the exact model even, never paid that close attention. It was a basketweb, fastback which also had a Velcro adjustment. Not sure of the true measurement, but it must have been close to 13.5 - I've borrowed a 13 inch Worth Toxic Lite and I notice it is shorter.

I'm not liking the Worth. It doesn't seem to stop spin or close as easily as my Silverback when fielding a ground ball. I don't really want to spend much more than $200 max. I'm looking at a lot of the Vincis and they seem to have a pretty good reputation. My question is - which one? Even narrowing down to a brand, I'm lost. I see a 13.5” TJ1952-MOB, PCH1325, RCV1300-22...even the Custom Steer Hide 22/PC can be hand for $199.

I realize I'm pretty clueless here, but any insight is appreciated!!

2. davisrelacing

davisrelacing The Other Guy

@smarkley will help you decide about a Vinci. The Wilson A2000 135 would be another good choice, but is over your price range.

3. smarkley3

smarkley3 Certified Trap Hoe

While I would normal say a 13.5" is too ig for an IF glove, if you like that size then it should work for you. The equvilant of the TJ1952 ( 13.5" Limited Kip leather) in the #22 steer hide is a BV1945 and althought listed as a 14", it is really the same size as the TJ. The PC1325 would be a good compromise between the Kip and #22 steer hide. It is a step up from the #22 but not as stiiff, hard to break in and expensive as the Limited Kip leather. If you did want to go smaller the BMB 13" pattern will work and, the new models play much bigger than older ones.

4. smarkley3

5. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

6. ShortYellowBus

ShortYellowBus Well-Known Member

Rec league? 2016 or 2017 $60 Easton. Green black Salvo or Loaded in grey white.

Don’t spend $300 for a T-shirt.

7. ShortYellowBus

Assuming you win your league, all you get is a T-shirt **

smarkley3 likes this.
  8. smarkley3

Whats amusing about getting the T Shirt is that u pay for it in league fees.
    The post says he does not kike the Worth so I (we) was trying to get a good glove with out breaking the bank and that was not so stiff he couldn't break it in.

9. ShortYellowBus

League fees usually cover costs of field maintenance, lights and other management considerations. Softball rec leagues in my area are not for profit and heavily subsidized by city park and recreation.

That’s why they only give out a T-shirt.

10. recleagueonly

recleagueonly New Member

Thanks for the input, guys. This gives me some better info to think about.

Yea - it is a t-shirt league. And not even a good shirt!

What would I expect as far as feel from these different leathers and models? I mentioned the Silverback and prior to that I had a rawlings for baseball. It always seemed they allowed me to feel the ball, but not sting the hand - and almost automatically close on a ground ball, unlike the feel I get from this Worth. Yea the 13.5 in is longer than most use for IF, even for slowpitch rec league - but I never had any trouble digging the ball out to make throws. The Worth is a 13 and I've had plays that I think I can get to, but be just out of my reach. That little bit seems to make a difference. Honestly, I might be best splitting the difference if I can and have a 13.25 - but that limits my options.

11. smarkley3