Major Elbow tendinitis

Discussion in 'Softball Training' started by Bobby Buggs, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Altitude

Altitude Addicted to Softballfans

So before I got any more shots I decided to spend $12 on WODFitters floss bands due to the seemingly unlimited # of positive reviews. Got it today and was blown away how quickly the pain went away in my elbow. This is pain that has persisted for over a year now and in 5 minutes it is gone. Going to train shoulders tomorrow and see how it responds but am cautiously optimistic thus far. I would suggest trying this for anyone of you who are experiencing tendonitis in your elbow.

2. Bobby Buggs

Bobby Buggs SBF Site Sponsor

I looked at them, what makes them work?

3. pj3p

pj3p Senior Power Hitter :-)

4. Altitude

If you Google it you'll get a better explanation that I can provide. But essentially it's a way to help promote blood flow into the damaged tendon by cutting off everything to the point where you arm is virtually numb, then flooding your arm with blood after you remove the floss band. It sort of forces the blood into the tendon and it also digs into the elbow and looses everything up.

I felt almost no pain today but trained shoulders which is typically the least aggravating to my elbow. I did use the floss bands again today and will keep doing it twice a day for several weeks. Will try some pulling exercises tomorrow by working my back, will report back.

Sort of kicking myself for not trying this sooner as I read up on these a while back but my skepticism kept me from buying it. Only when I got to the point where I was considering the PRP therapy did it force me to try this.

5. Altitude

I do believe that there is some validity to this, but I went on a very strict/natural diet last year for a period of time for another reason and my tendonitis never waned at all. I think it's a contributing factor but I think the bigger factors are being on a keyboard all day and fiddling with our phones. My arm always feels better when I'm away from either or both for the day.

6. Altitude

Upon further review the floss band has only limited benefit to me and my tendonitis. I can relieve the pain temporarily; however, the minute I get back into the gym and lift with any sort of resistance that all-too familiar dull/throbbing pain returns.

I'm going in today to get a PRP injection. It's my last hope beyond giving up weightlifting and sports.

7. Bobby Buggs

I was considering them but Whats the cost for PRP injections? The Cortisone has helped me immensely. I have been 90% pain free since about 24 hours after the shot. I feel a little weirdness from time to time in the 4arm but Im back in the gym. I still avoid arm extended with palm down weight lifts using neutral grip for pull ups and such. Saw the Doc yesterday and he said call if you need me but remember you can only get 3 total shots in that area so make sure to try and manage it with ice and stretching when/if it starts to talk to you. Prayers for you for a good result from the PRP

8. Altitude

I got mine on Wednesday and it was $350 (not covered by insurance). I had some leftover FSA money to spend so it didn't cost me anything out of pocket. I would have paid $3,500 if I was guaranteed that it would heal. But it may be a bit more at your doc, call to find out first.

My inner elbow is sore today but the doctor seemed hopeful this would 100% heal the are completely after only a few weeks off from everything. I did find out that I actually have distal biceps tendonitis and not elbow tendonitis so all of the treatments I'd been trying were to treat golfer's elbow, which is actually wrong. Anyway, I will post here in a few weeks to let you know how it turns out. I'm supposed to go back to very light lifting after 2 weeks and gradually increase the resistance over time. Feeling hopeful!

9. 4xtra

4xtra Manager

how old are you?
    If you are over 40, you will need 8-12 weeks rest. (NO BP)
    Trust me, I am over 40 and have been there, done that...

10. mannjo

mannjo Extra Hitter

I had the same thing big time. I ended up doing PT. My orthopedic surgeon,had me take 4 - 200 ibuprofen three times a day to get the inflammation down. Ice 3-4 times a day. You need to stretch it and light weights. Look on the internet . If you continue to play through it it will never go away. Take it from a hard head.

11. Altitude

The ice/rest is exactly the opposite of what a lot of new research is saying. A lot of new studies claim that getting blood to the affected area through light exercise will help to speed recovery. Even the gentleman who came up with the "RICE" solution now is saying that the rest/ice is wrong. Anti-inflammatories are equally bad.

Have you tried eccentric (negatives)? After my PRP injection I read up a bit more on tenonitis/tendonosis injuries and there were studies claiming that doing eccentric exercises to the affected area will help to alleviate the pain and help to heal the area. The last few days I've done 3 sets of 15 negative bicep curls (helping my arm up with my other arm so I'm careful not to actual curl), slowly lowering the weight for 3-5 seconds. In only used 10lb dummbells which was more than enough. It has made my arm feel better than it has in a while. Going to keep trying this as at least I feel like I'm actively trying something vs. sitting and doing nothing, which I feel like just delays the pain.

12. Altitude

Update: as of today I am experiencing little to no tendonitis in my elbow. As mentioned above I was diagnosed with distal biceps tendonitis (the tendon connecting the biceps to the forearm, pain through inner elbow). I attribute this to the eccentric (negative) exercises I mentioned in the post above. The PRP didn't seem to help much so I started with negative curls and kept with it every day I was in the gym (5/6 days a week) starting very light (15lbs initially) and working my way up to 30lb dumbbells. At first it was very tough and it got easier and easier and today I hardly feel anything after dealing with this sh*t for well over a year now.

Here is a good video on it....also Dr. John Rusin and many other physicians recommend eccentric movements to offset tendonitis:

4xtra likes this.
  13. Bobby Buggs

Glad to see you figured it out and are doing better. The shot in October has kept me out of major pain and disfunction. I still have some "weird" feelings in my fore arm from time to time but have played and hit bp twice since and Im no where near where I was before. I think the multiple days of fishing is what put me over the top. Prior to the shot I taught my self how to fish left handed and will continue to do that this summer to avoid another major flair up. I have been in the gym pretty consistently since I got the shot, I have to believe that has helped as well.

14. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Starting Player

Along the lines of new thinking, I read in another forum how teams are using electric stimulation to speed pitcher's recovery. Started searching on Amazon with a $600 product and ended up with a $25 multi-function electronic massager with the placement pads that were used on me after acl surgeries. Have had it about a week now and am digging it. 30 minutes on throwing shoulder and then 30 minutes on problem forearm/elbow have lowered the amount of pain I was experiencing. Unit itself will probably not last long, but I wasn't sure how it would work on me so I didn't want to spend a lot upfront.

15. Altitude

I feel like that might only be a temporary fix, almost like ice (or heat). You're not getting to the root of the problem, which is inflammation or an imbalance in that area.

16. blakcherry329

blakcherry329 Well-Known Member

17. dunkky

dunkky Member

i do a lotta bp off my t recently.. about 400 swings per week. my elbow was hurting as result of impact it was taking when hitting the ball. what has been helping me alot is the grip. I switched to full overlap and let the bat does more work with centrifugal force. significantly less impact on my elbow thus less or no pain afterward. Instead my shoulder hurts a little. but that's good thing. that means i am using bigger muscle and joint which have better tolerance.

18. chile

chile aquatic

Using an overlap hasn't helped... Overuse is probably the cause of mine. The only thing that helps is rest...

19. dunkky

dunkky Member

I totally agree chile. resting sounds easier than done when you are eager to swing your new toys and all.. :) Overlap swing should help once you are completely recovered. For sure it's stressing less on your elbow based on my experience.

20. Bobby Buggs

2 shots later mine reappeared 2 weeks ago. I blew it as I realized fishing with the right hand is my nemesis. Spent last summer working to be good at fishing left handed but there are certain lures I cant work well. So I switched my reel back to left retrieve 2 weeks ago and snagged a rock with braided line, Boom it killed that forearm and its been fired up since. Dumb sh it award goes to me

21. WarHorse

WarHorse Star Player

I see that this thread is ancient, but here goes:

Tendonitis is extremely easy to agitate and further harm. Just as soon as it feels healed and good enough to play on, you rip it again. For tendonitis I try to think long-term care even though summers are short and the desire to play is strong. Knowing your limitations and accepting that you may need to ride the pine for a couple of months are pretty valuable tools.

I haven't ever found a good long-term fix to tendonitis outside of resting it, hot epsom salt baths, and ibuprofen to stimulate blood flow. Blu Goo has been really good at short term relief, but you're always one throw away from a full tear and major surgery, so the best suggestion I can give you for this is play the long game and let it heal. Let it heal long after you think it's healed. And don't overtrain it too soon. Once it's healed it will be stronger than it once was, but you have to make sure you're letting it get to that point.

I know a lot of people bash compression sleeves, but they're really great at keeping extremities warm during batting practice and throwing sessions. Make sure they're nice and tight, and adding a small heat compress to the elbow of them doesn't hurt. These are only good preventative measures, though. Good stretching before and after exercise is also important, getting your heart rate up before exercise is also very useful in preventative medicine. Don't skimp on a good warm up.