My 2017 Mizuno Lineup Reviews

Discussion in 'Mizuno' started by Geezer000, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Geezer000

Geezer000 Addicted to Softballfans

I don't write reviews often but i'm going to try and give you guys my opinion on this years bats. Finally got out to swing the new line last night at the demo in between pitching and had a blast. My reviews will be in the same order I swung the bats.

2017 Nighthawk 27BAL approximately 2-300hits

First off (no excuses i know....), this was only my second time swinging this winter so it took me a while to loosen up. My first round was with the Bal Nighthawk and it didn't disappoint. Last years balanced was good but the weighting was a little weird. It felt very barrel heavy for a balanced bat. It just didn't swing through very well for me. The 2017 felt MUCH better in the weighting. It actually feels like a true balanced bat now, much like the Worth Connell from last year. It came through the zone great. Once I got my timing down the barrel felt just like last years, nice and responsive but not to soft with a massive sweet spot that lends to almost always making good contact. I thought that the thinner handle was going to add more of a end-load feel to the bat but Mizuno did a great job making it swing more balanced. I did notice the flex at the joint but no more so than last years. The handle was still nice and stiff but it felt like it over flexed sometimes if you hit to close to the end-cap. Over all it feels much better than last years.

2017 Nighthawk Robo 26EL approximately 2-300hits

Round two
    I haven't swung a true end-load in a while. Last years ROBO felt just like the balanced bat but with more end-load. Still felt off to me and that's why I swung my Mamba most of the year. It hit awesome but felt like swinging a soft block of wood with a handle so it didn't feel comfortable for me.
    The new handle changes the feel completely. To me it also feels like they've added a little more EL as well. I actually feels like the EL is right on the end cap which is perfect. From first swing I loved it. Has the same barrel feel as the balanced but with less flex when you hit it near the end-cap. My timing had gotten better at this point and my back was finally loosening up so I was making good contact again and let me tell you the ball jumps off with that EL. In my opinion, the ball won't go any further with EL vs BALANCED but it comes down to what you want and feel comfortable swinging.

2017 Mamba 27 approximately 300hits

Round 3
    I don't know what it is about the mamba.......but i love this thing. They haven't changed the swing weight at all. For me it swings beautifully. It has a very crisp feeling barrel. The barrels on the Mamba and Nighthawk feel very different to me. The only way I can describe it is like the difference between a mid kick hockey stick vs a low kick point. The Nighthawk is the Mid-kick where it soaks up the ball a little and then spits it out. You don't need as much effort to hit the ball hard. The Mamba is like the Low-kick where it doesn't pull the ball in as much but it releases it in a fraction of the time. You also need a little more swing speed to get the same distance but the harder you swing the farther it goes. The sweet spot doesn't feel as big as the Nighthawks but it is plenty big enough that its hard to miss. The only difference I've noticed since last year is that it breaks in quicker which is a good thing. At 300 hits my bat last year was nowhere near this good. This thing just came through the zone absurdly fast.

In the end, Mizuno definately separated all 3 bats into there own category.

The Balanced definately SWINGS balanced
    The ROBO definately SWINGS EL
    The MAMBA is in between and SWINGS mid-load

4xtra likes this.
  2. Rallycap

Rallycap Star Player

Good summation. Appreciate the feedback.

Geezer000 likes this.
  3. hlsiii

hlsiii Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks Geezer for the review of the balanced, Roboload, Mamba.

Geezer000 likes this.
  4. uniballer

uniballer Addicted to Softballfans

Outstanding job sir! Great info brother.

Geezer000 likes this.
  5. Steve lau

Steve lau Member

So when you say mid load bat weight on the mamba is it heavier in the handle and light at the end cap feel. Would you recommend this bat for someone who swings a balance bat but wants a bit of punch but not a endload feel

6. Geezer000

No it's not handle heavy. Midload to me feels like a very slight end load. Definately give it a try.

Steve lau likes this.
  7. RustyShakleford

RustyShakleford The Rookie

these USSSA or dual?

8. Geezer000

All USSSA

9. NixHex

NixHex Addicted to Softballfans

Can anyone comment on where the No Doubt fits in with the rest of the 2017 lineup? Considering a Mizuno for asa play and I think I like a stiffer one piece feel. Also, any idea where sweet spot location is with this lineup? Looking for something closer to the endcap.

Edit: just found another thread that the consensus is the NH sweet spot is mid barrel. Was on the fence now thinking the NH might not be right for me.

#9 NixHex, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. chile

chile aquatic

How is the NH with 44/375?

11. CougarHunter1B

The No Doubt is super super stiff. Mizuno 1 pcs feel like a 2x4.

The NH ASA has a bad track record/reputation for duribility issues.

12. chile

chile aquatic

great input.

13. Geezer000

Yes, the no doubt is crazy stiff but the Mamba isn't. The Mamba might not be as soft as the NH but it's still much softer than the no doubt. I'm not sure about the NH and the 44/375 but the Mamba kills them.

14. CougarHunter1B

That's a good point. The No Doubt and Blackout are both stiffer then the Mamba.

15. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

Figured i'd drop my Nighthawk opinion from another forum here too... USSSA Version of course. No idea on the dual/ASA models. We don't really ever require that stamp here and my experience has always been that a well worked in Utrip > Dual Stamp down the line. Now ASA only is a different story in some cases. But I tend to just buy Utrip only now for this reason.

What would you like to know?

Key points below for me...

Performance - EVERYTHING you've come to expect of Nighthawk slowpitch Utrip model. G2g outta wrap. Huge sweet spot. Stiff solid feel to the handle and bat. Barrel has a great softer forgiving feel. Not bendy like some of the other noodley bats out there, which is what I liked a lot last year. And why I generally prefer Mizzy, Easton and Demarini in 2pc vs LS and Miken/Worth.

Looks - Improved tenfold. Finally no neon yellow on something... Just a good classic Black and dark gray. Very Raiders or LA Kings. Dig the looks for sure.

Handle - Thinner grip. More Easton/LS OG Z2 or early RI like, before LS got into the fat cone. Personally love this. Thinner grip for me the better. Pairs very well with Lizard skins or hockey tape. This was a huge bonus in this model.

Feel - Less "clicky" or "plastic-ey". Better feel imo. Hard to explain this one. Those who've hit both will know what I mean. Better feedback on flushed pokes this year I find. More pleasant feel, same huge sweet spot.

End Load - MUCH improved and what i'd call a full load. More in line with a DC or Ressy (formerly) Legit. Seems to get a great piece of Hot Dot with that hefty load. I'm a big fan of that so far. Found last year's Robo load a little on the midload/balanced side. Fwiw this is my complaint of the Newbreed this year too, lacks load. Definitely more seperation between EL & Bal options with the Hawks now. Whereas I found last year's to feel a lot of the same to me.

Grip - MUCH better stock grip. Lasted longer, felt much better and closer to a Lizard in both tack and feel... Ultimately got the usual .5mm Lizard makeover though eventually. I eventually always convert all bats I keep to them. Think of it as an honourary badge of honour. When they get the .5mm Lizard they're staying around for a while.

Opened up a bit at 35-40 hits. Tbh needs more love and perhaps some Gray Dot (Classic M - 40/44cor balls) BP before I can really compare with my others. My opinion of last year's is typical of OG hype and it did have a lot of mixed ball BPs in it. So far Ive only really hit 52/300s and it's been great but it will shift another gear.

Anyone else swinging mine has complimented it, thinking about buying one, or bought one.

One of my 2 keepers & eventually gamers this year. I prefer it to 2016, and thus moved my 16s now.

Crush23 likes this.
  16. THESHOE

THESHOE Starting Player

The Utrip SMOKES the 40 & 44.

Hits anything well really. G2g out of wrap. Very Miken/Worth like in a lot of ways, but a different more sturdy solid feel.

chile likes this.
  17. Crush23

Crush23 Addicted to Softballfans

Very happy with mine! It's just keeps getting better. Gonna be a sleeper by this year. Recommend everyone to at lest try it.

18. nissben

nissben Freakin Ninja

Bringing this back from the dead but where can I get my hands on the 17 mamba? I've been looking around but seem to only find places stating its a Canadian exclusive?

19. Geezer000

As far as I know it is a Canadian exclusive.

20. Party mafia

Party mafia Active Member

are the mizuno bats have no 1 year warranty on them?

Wonder if SBF store will get the 2017 mamba at all.

21. nissben

nissben Freakin Ninja

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:mad:

22. Geezer000

I have a used 27oz I could send you ;)

23. nissben

nissben Freakin Ninja

I'm looking at the new black/gray nighthawks now, maybe the model from last year too but I'll be in touch if all fails. Kind of looking for a 26. Im a ***** I know lol

Geezer000 likes this.
  24. jaketr1

jaketr1 Boom !!!!!

It the new one is better than last years nh then I might have to pick one up