Overlap grip

Discussion in 'Senior Softball Board' started by saddlebrookrick, Jul 30, 2012.

1. saddlebrookrick

saddlebrookrick The Veteran

How much more distance on average will you get once you have mastered the overlap grip? I know it will vary, but I have been toying with it and it seems the ball is really jumping off the bat and I'm not using the full overlap yet. If you use it, how much has it helped you?

2. deepsearufio

deepsearufio Active Member

i switched from the normal grip and all ican say is you lose the control and gain bat speed. id say 30-40 ft from my personal experience but ive popped up more often than before. Now with the overlap grip when i hit it, if it aint deep center its just lasers through the infield, just outside of box.

3. lefty# 9

lefty# 9 Staying in the Game

started in about 88 with drop 1 finger below knob and then two fingers on top hand wrapped around bottom hand hit alot of bp like this I liked it alot more bat speed. Carl Rose was the first 1 I saw with full top hand over bottom hand WOW.Pasadena sports complex Home of the Smyth Soxs.as for me My distance improved by 15 to 20 ft stay with it if it works :rolleyes:

4. floo56

floo56 Addicted to Softballfans

Been using this grip for approx. four years. I have moved in the batting order from 1 or 2 to anywhere from 3 - 6. Gained same distance as above mentioned, you will lose bat control, but the power gained is worth it! Aloha, Fabe

5. shopofpop

shopofpop SBF member since 2004

Overlap will give you much more bat speed, whip & distance...

Mastering it however, tends to be challenging...

You might want to check out my simple product....

Whip Strip helps the transition from box grip to Overlap Grip. Also, it's legal in game use everywhere! I have many Senior Players who swear by it. Also, great for those with hand grip issues. Fibromyalgia, Neuropathy, Arthritis, Joint Issues, ETC..

Check it out www.WhipStrip.com

Good Luck...

6. saddlebrookrick

saddlebrookrick The Veteran

No problem with grip, I seem to want to pop up more. Does overlap cause you to dip your shoulder more or faster bat speed cause the pop ups? What can heip correct the problem?

7. ogsoftballplaye

ogsoftballplaye Active Member

Practice........................:p

8. jaketr1

jaketr1 Boom !!!!!

just takes time to get the feel, once you do it its hard to go back

9. phxraida15

phxraida15 Addicted to Softballfans

for the people that use overlap grip, do you like endloaded bats better or balanced????

10. pj3p

pj3p Senior Power Hitter :-)

most definitely end loaded.
    I use 3 fingers[bottom hand] and 1 top or sometimes 3 and 2.

11. dponder

dponder Addicted to Softballfans

Might just take time if you are using the same bat. I went from a 28 to a 26 for a while when I first started to use the overlap. Once I got my confidence, I went back to the 28 and love it. The lighter bet was a good adjustment at the beginning as I didn't feel like I was whipping the 28 well and it always felt behind and lazy. I got the timing and technique down with the 26 and it translated to the 28 pretty well.

12. floo56

floo56 Addicted to Softballfans

Hittin off a Tee has help me refine my swing...I've gone lighter from 27s to
    26s...I rather swing balance, but using el bats are cool too. Aloha, Fabe

13. lefty# 9

lefty# 9 Staying in the Game

bat speed has picked up there for pop up will happen.instead of adjusting your bat speed. GO SIMPLE move your back foot from normal location back 1 foot width AKA 4" or so. give that a try :D

14. DaMonks

DaMonks SBF Original..........

I have used the over lap grip since 98'. I saw the late Ray DeMarini use it when he came to Hawaii. Never had control issue's after getting the hang of the grip. I agree with floo56. tee work will help you adjust to the grip quickly. With live pitching, pitch selection will come in time. I found with using the over lap grip, I needed to stand further away from the plate and my pitch selection seemed to be higher. No issue with hitting to all fields and have never let a bat fly out of my hand. As for preferring a bat being balanced or end loaded. A 28 oz. in a balanced bat and 26 oz. in end load works great for me.