Problem with new DMS pro1000hc-19 ??

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by jeffp, May 15, 2018.

1. jeffp

jeffp New Member

0291.jpg 0293.jpg Hi,

I just purchased a pro1000-hc-19 from ballgloves.com last week. This is the horween inside and outside exclusive.
    I noted some issues with it. Many others have commented here about similar issues.
    Specifically the finger crotch problem. There are surface rips where the stitching has cut into the leather at the finger crotch, index to middle, middle to ring and ring to pinky and 1 area that looks like a tear without any stitching index to middle.
    The surface rips I'm not concerned about as those don't worsen. Ive attached pics of the concern which is the spot that looks like a tear without stitching. I immediately informed ballgloves.com. They said cracks around the fingers are normal with horween and they don't worsen but they said they forwarded the pics to Rawlings to see what they think which was this past Friday, haven't heard anything yet. The glove is now just sitting in its box tags and all. I'm inclined to just ask for a different one and have them inspect it beforehand but that probably wont fly.

What are your thoughts on this. Ive never had a horween glove before and don't want to break it in only to tear it and end up out of the 1 year warranty. Ive been reading your posts and many have dealt with this.

Thanks jeffp 0291.jpg 0293.jpg

2. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

I bought my Pro12TC in July 2014, my tear/crack was definitely worse then yours. I know it sucks to see on your brand new glove, if it's any consolation, my tear hasn't gotten any worse in four years.....

3. davisrelacing

davisrelacing The Other Guy

This has been discussed in the past here, tl;dr to follow:

I think the long story short is that the tear is there to begin with but doesn't get much worse even with use.

FWIW my Timberglaze with rolled welting has a similar small tear at those areas.

fredderf likes this.
  4. David the Gnome

David the Gnome The Veteran

If you look very closely, most gloves with really stiff leather have those. I think it's just an artifact of how stiff the material is than anything to really worry about. I've never had one grow any larger than it was when new.

Committed likes this.
  5. moren025

moren025 Addicted to Softballfans

I purchased a PRO6XTCs during the last DMS Horween run which had the tears but I was expecting it. Thankfully they were minimal, a little bigger than yours if I recall. Started the break in process but one of my son’s former teammates liked it so I moved it. He used it for college ball and never got worse from speaking to him over the winter.

6. NYC

NYC Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

My 2019 model doesn't have the cracks, but like others have said, it doesn't get worse. It's one of the best glove purchases I've made in recent years. The horween palm liner is clutch.

7. bigmac25

bigmac25 Extra Hitter

Nice glove! It wont get worse, and you are golden- sadly a small price to pay for such wonderful leather adorning your paw. Enjoy breaking that sucker in and have fun!

sleepin4matty likes this.
  8. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Addicted to Softballfans

What is the verdict on these new dm’s? Closer to what Easton is using on the small batch or closer to say the pl3?

9. Swinging Bunt

Swinging Bunt Addicted to Softballfans

The glove shell is sewn inside out with the perimeter welting. Then it’s turned rightside out (and the lining/handstall piece is inserted). This step is where you get the stitching/hole stretch (and leather thickness/stiffness/saturation plays a big role on the finished result). You basically have to be the judge how the condition is affected by the leather quality (because it doesn’t always mean crap) and craftsmanship.

defos likes this.
  10. beeblebobble

beeblebobble Starting Player

More like last years SBF's 207 'ween doubled up. Not even as good as the pl3.

11. Soxfan8

Soxfan8 Starting Player

It shouldn’t get worse. But, it is one reoccurring issue that people have identified with Horween Rawlings. Based on those pictures, it’s nothing to get anxious over.

12. jeffp

jeffp New Member

Thanks for all your replies. I feel somewhat better but I am still paranoid about it (its a lot of $ for me). In searching the website I have found that the major concern (and all pics) seem to be in regards to the stitches cutting into the leather and whether they will rip through (which they don't) . My concern is the actual split in the leather between fingers 1 and 2 which is a small rip, there is no stitch there. I have not heard from DMS on what Rawlings said and its been a week. I have a # for the Rawlings warranty dept . if I don't hear from them.
    jeff

13. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

Haha, poor DMS cannot win. They get Horween to make them the good stuff, and then get complaints over these little tears. So they ask Horween to add a little more oil so the leather is more pliable and then everyone complains that the Horween is too soft. The Easton Small Batches also often have these tears.

Might want to return it and order a Japanese tanned version of the glove. They are very nice and don't have any risk of a tear getting worse.

14. Hiltz

Hiltz But my mom says I'm cool.

There IS a stitch there. The shell is sewn inside-out, then flipped. Sometimes the actual thread is exposed after the shell is turned rightside-out, sometimes it's far enough back that you can't see it. But it's there.

Condition your glove, put a little extra conditioner on the seam tears, break the bad boy in, and enjoy it.

15. NYC

In my opinion it's better,thicker, and drier than last year's horween exclusives...but not as good as the pl3 in terms of thickness and dryness.

16. jeffp

jeffp New Member

Alright!.... ill quit worrying.
    Another thought is that I do think the liner is a little weird. I'm not against it but I think it could do without the padding. May be that I am used to traditional leather shell lining in the fingers (old hoh, nokona Wilson). Something new for me.

what is a pl3?

17. NYC

Pro label 3rd edition.... the best quality horween release of the past 5 years in my opinion. Horween everything, and the thick horween.

18. huntaholic21

You haven’t handled a small batch have you?

19. NYC

I have not, have you handled the PL3?

20. huntaholic21

I have both and if a sturdy glove is something you covet you need to pick up a small batch.

21. sleepin4matty

sleepin4matty Management Material

absolute tanks. Small batch seems to be the stiffest glove I've ever touched