Questions about Laces

Discussion in 'Fielding Gloves Discussion' started by ogWarlock78, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ogWarlock78

ogWarlock78 Addicted to Softballfans

I'm going to attempt my first complete re-lace. All I've done before is simple repairs to broken finger tip and heel laces using whatever I could find, mainly leather boot laces or whatever kit happened to be hanging on the rack in WallyWorld sporting goods (I think it was Rawlings).
    * Size; 1/4 vs 3/16 vs ? - I assume this refers the width of the lace. How do I determine what I need for the A2005 I just found at GoodWill that I posted in another thread. Laces stretch and dry out so using a plain ole tape measure doesn't seem to be the way to go. The laces on the A2005 seem so much thinner than my later Rawlings and Worth gloves.
    * How to determine how much in total length I need for the entire glove and for a specific "run". Would hate to start doing the web run and come up an inch short coming out of the last hole.
    * Best place to get laces, price and quality. Remember I'm a guy who was happy with boot laces, but alas, WallyWorld no longer carries decent boot straps!
    * Skive the heel laces? Is this true for all gloves and are all purchased laces the same thickness?

much appreciate any and all input and comments!
    -steve

2. ANNASDAD

ANNASDAD The Veteran

Generally, or at least in all our gloves, 1/4” in the web, the web spiral, and the finger tips. 3/16” everywhere else. I’ve never cut down lace before, probably a little over my head, I’ll leave that up to Rous & Davis. And I’m sure those two guys can better point you in the direction of where to buy good high quality lace, my most recent relace from Rous, the tan he used in my 303 trap was excellent! My local Play it again Sports sells Tanner lace, it’s the best lace I’ve ever personally bought.

3. ry_man_gloves

ry_man_gloves New Member

Wilson uses 3/16" lace for the whole glove.

Rawlings uses both 1/4" and 3/16" with the 1/4" being for the top of the fingers and the web. They used to use 3/16" for the entire glove up until 1978, at which point the owner's son had a lace break on the web of his catcher's mitt. The owner then demanded that 1/4" lace be used, at least on certain parts, of Rawlings' gloves.

Most gloves will require about 250" total inches of lace to do a full re-lace. Trap-Eze models may require closer to 300" as will mitts (catcher/first base).

Lace that you purchase is usually all the same thickness. Companies do use thinner laces for the heel and palm area, and many professional re-lacers will do the same, either by skiving regular laces or purchasing thinner lace. Using thicker lace on the palm will cause the holes to stretch a little bit, which is why thinner lace looks better, but in terms of performance, I don't think that it really makes a difference. You can get away with re-lacing an entire glove with regular lace and not skive any of it.

4. Drumbum37

Drumbum37 Addicted to Softballfans

4 pieces (72 inches) for most styles (H web, I web/single post), 5 pieces for traps/mod traps, and mitts (I think). 3/16 is fine for an entire gloves in most cases, unless a trap or the holes have stretched. Then use 1/4, but ONLY in web or fingers.
    Buyfastpitchgloves . com is a great place to get just about any color lace. They even have thinned lace in some colors. Thinned/skived lace in the palm/heel/fastback finger hole isn't required, buuuuut it's 1000000x more comfortable. Night/day and a chewed up hand difference.

For that vintage a2005, go with all 3/16.

5. davisrelacing

davisrelacing The Other Guy

For an older Wilson, pick up 4-5 pieces of 3/16" tan lace from USA Sports Direct.
    You can even buy it already thinned down for the palm and the heel, but it may not be long enough if the glove has the special continous palm lace.

Text me or direct message me on any of my socials for answers to more questions.

Wilson uses 5mm (or 5.5?) lace, a literal hair wider than 3/16".

sleepin4matty likes this.
  6. ogWarlock78

I very much appreciate all the comments.

I just took a steel machinist ruler and measured the laces on this A2005. All measure less than 3/16 wide, closer to 1/8-5/32. Even the ones that are in good shape, not dried out or stretched, measure barely 5/32.

7. ogWarlock78

now, the next question - this glove has metal eyelets for the heel lacing and the permalock lacing needle I have will not o thru them. Is there a smaller diameter needle for this?

8. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Member

Just take the needle off and push it through the metal holes

9. Drumbum37

Drumbum37 Addicted to Softballfans

You can get smaller needles but like snake said, just unscrew and push em thru. A bit of a pain, but not worth getting a different needle for (for just this glove).

10. Rous

Rous Addicted to Softballfans

Generally:

thumb and pinkie laces 20" should do it (unless it is a big glove or has 5 holes for one of the laces)
    closing/heel lace: 36" for most gloves
    palm: the pre-thinned GS laces are 28". Usually more than enough, but some oddball patterns can take more
    button lap: 14"-16"
    mid-finger lace: 22"
    web and fingers varies too much to say, but best to start with a full piece and cut when done.

11. ogWarlock78

OK, did a partial relace of the A2005 this afternoon. Pics are posted on my A2005 thread ................