SBF Wild Fireflex First Swings

Discussion in 'Easton' started by superfli18, Jan 28, 2019.

1. superfli18

superfli18 Addicted to Softballfans

Weather broke a little for me today. So I decided to do some tee swings with the new bat. Temps in mid 50's. Hit classic M's. Mostly sharks and a few gold dots. Didnt really have a way to set up phone for video nor am I super tech savvy to upload them anyway. Lol

First impression, Very Impressed! I read Bakesta's Steele review and I agree with him that the FF2 has an Extremely CRISP feel! I swung most of Eastons line last year and this bat by far is my favorite.

The bat has amazing out of wrapper performance! The sound and feel alone are enough to make you not want to put it down! It had a very similar feel to my 1000 plus swing 16' black helmer flex but is little more crisp! I didnt have a gun or anything, but based off of pure feel and observation, I believe it's the best exit speed I've had off the tee with any new out of wrapper bat I've owned including my blue line, which I thought was the berries until I swung this bat.

Again these are just my observations. No scientific data to support. Also, not saying this is the hottest bat or easton ever. What I am saying is that it definately surprised me! I've not hit many bats off a tee and walked away impressed or that gave me a big wow factor. Let alone fresh out of the wrapper! But this bat has done that for me!

Others opinions may vary! But I think Chad really has a winner with this one! I'll update as I get more swings and some live rounds on a field to really get a feel for distance and performance.

fowlball75, 4xtra, bakesta72 and 2 others like this.
  2. clementeunknown

clementeunknown Addicted to Softballfans

Just a wild guess, but I think your review may be heavily swayed by 50* weather and Classic Ms. I could be wrong though

3. superfli18

You are exactly right and that is a solid observation that im sure contributes and I did consider! Everything feels great when cold and balls are hard..... perfect place for perverted comment...

However, many of our early spring and late fall league games are played in 50 degrees and below (We have the 8 and 9pm league slots, so it's rather cold in early April and late October). Anyway, my point is, I am pretty familiar, with my bats atleast, with how they feel and perform with classic M's in cold weather. So that is where I'm coming from. Of course it could be a completely diff story when its 90's degrees, humid, and balls are mush... so we will see. But it was def impressive even with cold weather and classic m's taken into consideration. Time will tell though! Hopefully others will lend their thoughts too. I'm curious to hear opinions.

4. bakesta72

bakesta72 Do you carry that in a 12 inch model?

I need to buy one of these!

bird25 and Jusrah99 like this.
  5. Hagen49

Hagen49 Active Member

I got to swing mine yesterday I got the loaded 26.5. It feels really quick through the zone. I caught myself out in front of a few at the local cqge for sure. To me it felt like it has more pop than my 250ish swing FF2. I'll try to get some real data to see if numbers back up my seat of the pants feeling on Wednesday.

bakesta72 likes this.
  6. superfli18

Yeah I have a 27.5. Initially the bat felt a little heavy in hand when compared to my 27oz blue line and 27.5 green helmer. Even heavier than some 28's I've handled. The EL on BL felt like it was in the End cap of bat. Where the bulk of the weight of the Wild feels more like it's around the T or O of the "Easton" on barrel.
    Initially I wasnt sure if I was going to like this partially EL/mid loadish feel. But after putting swings on it I will agree is comes through the zone REALLY nice and you feel the barrel really whip through. The 27.5 has the perfect amount of A$$ behind it without being too hefty. So I could see where the 26.5 could be a little quick through the zone..esp for people with a faster swing speed and quick hands.

7. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

Yes, and the bat will fail compression and crack quickly in those temps with those balls.

8. superfli18

Got a round of live BP in today. Mixed balls, temp in mid 60's. I remain very impressed and brought a buddy with me to compare it to his OG FF.

He was also VERY impressed. He felt the barrel was more forgiving and didnt give as much negative feedback on mis-hits. He compared it to his 16' DC41 where the ball felt great coming off the entire barrel, never really feels like you hit a bad ball. Overall he preferred this bat to his OG. Esp with the extra EL!

9. nickham10

nickham10 John Deere

Anymore feedback?

10. superfli18

No... weather and work havent cooperated.

11. Hagen49

Hagen49 Active Member

All I've been able to swing it was a couple cage sessions. Been too cold to swing it on league nights.

12. bakesta72

Got outdoors with one tonight. I’ll upload the video when i get a chance. I really like this Wildfire.

chile likes this.
  13. Hagen49

Hagen49 Active Member

Supposed to be a decently warm night tomorrow for my league games. May break out the wild for its 1st real world test. My FF2 is broken in real nice and I want to see how this compares with about 1/5 of the swings on it.

bakesta72 likes this.
  14. nickham10

nickham10 John Deere

Had a chance to hit mine inside in a cage only so far. Put maybe 20 swings on it and really impressed with the feel, sound and exit speed.

bakesta72 likes this.
  15. bakesta72

We got some film on the Wildfire. What a fun bat to swing! We hit classic M's and 44/400 NSA balls. I felt like it compared the best to the OG FF from last year if people are wanting a bat to compare it to. Ours was the 26.5oz endloaded model. Good job Softballfans for producing a sweet exclusive!

BOLTMAN21, D-ROCK13, Bagz and 5 others like this.
  16. chile

chile Bad Ape

you gents were hitting some scuds. nice.

BOLTMAN21 and bakesta72 like this.
  17. bakesta72

Thanks bro. I was trying to work on hitting that RC gap. My last guy just mashes and grunts at the same time! :D

chile likes this.
  18. dunkky

dunkky Well-Known Member

Your last guy always impresses me with his bat speed.

bakesta72 likes this.
  19. Bobby Buggs

Bobby Buggs SBF Site Sponsor

Guys dont trash your bats hitting Ms or 44-400s in the cold. Thats why I made the Evil BP balls, so you can get swings in without trashing your bats in the preseason.

#19 Bobby Buggs, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    bakesta72, BOLTMAN21 and bubz24 like this.
  20. superfli18

So, got to test mine in the real world today for our first tourney of the year. It was swung along with an assortment of 2016-19 worth, miken, and easton bats my team was using. I will preface this by saying it was cool out today. So balls were hard.
    There were ALOT of missles being hit by all teams. Some were in the park, some over the fence, and some WAY over the fence. Fortunately most of my hits were a mix of all those. I'm not going be a broken record and repeat what I've already said. My opinion and assessment of the bat remain the same. However there is one definate I can say.
    Of all the hard hit balls, monster home runs, etc hit today... there were constantly people coming up to me to see what I was swinging. Partially bc of how the ball was coming off the bat but ALOT had to do with the SOUND! Not sure if this will be a characteristic of the new FF2 tech or not... but this bat has an AMAZING sound!
    A few guys on my team even commented on how every time I hit a ball, other teams and people sitting around the field would snap their heads around AND that's what I feel really makes this bat special. There are plenty of bats that perform right with or maybe even better that this one. BUT it's the performance combined with the sound that really make it stand out.

#20 superfli18, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    bakesta72 likes this.
  21. Hagen49

Hagen49 Active Member

I will agree with the sound on this thing. I took some BP with it on Sunday, and the ones I caught square sounded almost like I was swinging an ASA bat. Loud sharp crack. It does sound a little more punchy even than my FF2.