Senior league bats

Discussion in 'ASA' started by ulfius, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ulfius

ulfius ASA Pitcher

Played in my first senior league tournament a couple weeks ago and had a great time, but while watching I came to the conclusion that the only reason for senior league bats is for guys egos. Why else would guys over 50 need to be hitting bombs over 300' 8' fences? To me, it would be just as fun with standard ASA bats and a bit safer. At older ages, having the extra ball exit speed that a senior league bat has only reduces the reaction time that a defender/pitcher has and not be injured. I saw more pitchers and infielders wearing facemasks for just that reason, but that just shows they know they're not as safe as they could be.

Been on here long enough to know many of you probably just think "you have a glove, so use it". I enjoy a good defensive game and more place hitting than a homerun derby, so less hot bats would be fine with me.

jkwoody22 likes this.
  2. Redsfan

Redsfan Member

It's not like your reflexes get better with age either.

jkwoody22 likes this.
  3. Mikemiklo

Mikemiklo New Member

Well put

4. jkwoody22

jkwoody22 League ball huer

A senior bat should be 60 or older maybe with 52’s, I would think those bats could still hit the 52’s hard, or maybe just make the 44 ball for 60 or over and senior bats 40-50 older with 52’s, it’s crazy to see 35+ senior league with 44’s and senior bats

5. hitsone

hitsone Active Member

I appreciate the concern for safety. It is a valid concern.
    I know several senior players that only use their league bats in ssusa tourneys. A. Becuse they don't want to hurt anyone and B why buy another bat when you have a perfectly good one.
    However getting a little more pop is a lot of fun, feeling like you are a kid of 40 once more is a great feeling. Seeing the odd ball go yard instead of having 6-7 guys who do it regularily every game brings back a feeling of youth and excitement. In their youth those guys were hitting pissles at a very dangerous bat speed and they were considered stars. Being competetive is in our make up and increases the thrill of the game. I will continue to armour up when pitching and I will use my senior bats to try to get one out of the infield. We deteriorate gradually as we age, but that does not mean we don't want to do our best with what we got left.

6. smoke

smoke 50AAA USA National Champs

I remember playing when teams had a couple players that could hit one out,not the whole team
    There were homerun hitters and singles hitters
    SMOKE

7. stork

stork Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog

I was a doubles triples gap hitter when I was on back in the days. I have hit more HR's the past few years than ever and sometimes really need to focus on keeping the ball down when HR not intended. Don't want one of them carrying too far...with new tech/non-senior bats.
    I am now a "senior" but if/when I play, may stick to my usual stuff...maybe. ;)

8. KAPTHAT

KAPTHAT AREA LEGEND

so do i.....seems like a long time ago