Turning into field of play after overrunning 1st.

Discussion in 'Ask the Umpire' started by MPT23, Oct 27, 2018.

1. MPT23

MPT23 Putting on the foil

Was told as long as you dont make an attempt toward 2nd, that this is ok ? Need clarification, tia.

bird25 likes this.
  2. NCASAUmp

NCASAUmp My backpack’s got jets

That is correct. The direction you turn in makes no difference. All that matters is whether the runner actually attempts to advance towards second base.

3. MPT23

MPT23 Putting on the foil

Thank you

4. irishmafia

irishmafia Addicted to Softballfans

Should be noted that ANY movement, even something as slight as a dip of the shoulder could be considered an attempt. It is completely the umpire's judgment and is not debatable.

Redsfan likes this.
  5. Hiltz

Hiltz Oozing with... something.

Which is why players should never turn left if they aren't making an attempt at 2b. Not a rule, but a good habit to get into.

sftballr24, blakcherry329 and Redsfan like this.
  6. Redsfan

Redsfan Active Member

Irish and Hiltz are correct. Don't leave it up to an ump to interpret what you are or aren't trying to do. I've seen several players get rung up because if a small movement towards 2B. If you don't turn left you will have nothing to worry about.

7. irishmafia

What I teach at clinics is that if you (umpire) get a gut feeling that you need to head toward 2B for a possible call, that is an indication the runner made an attempt

8. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo Addicted to Softballfans

And don't leave the field of play when you are turning to the right either. Had that happen this year at a State Tournament. BR hit 1B and kept running while turning right, ended up outside the fenceline while there was a play on another runner.

9. r8dr_rider

r8dr_rider Active Member

Very subjective. Sometimes a player may take a quick step toward 2nd and could be seen and an advance attempt. Always turn to right unless you know where the ball is and if you are thinking of taking 2nd

10. NCASAUmp

NCASAUmp My backpack’s got jets

Thanks for contributing to a question that was already answered almost 3 months ago.

MPT23 and r8dr_rider like this.
  11. Hiltz

^^^ Lol! Getting in touch with your inner Joker?

(I almost posted the exact same response.)

blakcherry329 and r8dr_rider like this.
  12. r8dr_rider

r8dr_rider Active Member

So apparently I didn’t listen to my own advice (albeit 3 months after it was already answered)

I hit the ball 5-6 gap, but last minute SS grabbed it. As I ran thru first I literally took a quick left foot step (think of a football juke) into the field of play and looked left but saw the ball thrown to 1st, so I quickly turned right and rounded the base. The other team started yelling at the 1B man to tag me and I didn’t try to hurry to the bag since I was already walking back after rounding to the right. He tagged me, I’m out.

In my head I knew what I wanted to do but in reality the blue didn’t. My quick left foot step shouldn’t have been seen as an attempted advance. Regardless I was called out and game was over and we lost. But hey I hit a grand slam that game too

13. irishmafia

I'm sure the 1B coach helped with direction, right? :)

14. Hiltz

You made a move toward 2b, realized after the fact that it was a bad idea, then tried to play it cool and act like you were returning to first all along. Blue saw through it and made the correct call.

Once you make any motion that indicates that you're trying to advance, you can't change your mind and stroll back to 1b like it never happened.

15. AH23

AH23 Addicted to Softballfans

Wrong, your quick step SHOULD HAVE and WAS seen as an attempt to advance. The other team thought so as did the umpire.