weight does matter..

Discussion in 'Softball Media' started by dunkky, Feb 1, 2018.

1. jlee

jlee Member

Anyone here actually swing 24 oz? Thinking of getting one just to see if it makes a difference...

2. D-ROCK13

D-ROCK13 Member

For me it makes a huge difference, in the wrong direction. Not to mention the lighter bats always feel like they bend in half at contact

3. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

This. If you are capable of swinging heavier, do so. Swinging a 24 when you can swing a 28 is like shooting yourself in the foot. Furthermore, it involves revocation of your man card.

4. Beauner

Beauner Starting Player

Part of the reason I'm annoyed by the "swing light" craze is manufacturers are barely putting out heavy bats anymore. The new Steven Lloyd Super Z isn't even manufactured in anything heavier than 27oz IIRC. And God forbid you want to try to find a 30oz bat on one of the new lines.

D-ROCK13 likes this.
  5. yank

yank Addicted to Softballfans

Think the endload makes a pretty good difference also you maybe will control a 28-30oz balanced and struggel with a big EL in the same WTS.

D-ROCK13 and Normy like this.
  6. BigWhiffa

BigWhiffa Underwear Researcher

for me how bats are weighted is important. if the only thing that separates a 26oz bat and a 28oz bat is a rod in the handle, i dont' think (i'm a physics layman) it makes much of a difference. swing what is comfortable.

back in the day when you had minimal flex and it really was a strength game and not equipment, a heavier bat had all its added weight distributed into the full length of the bat. but it seems to me all they do with a same model bat to make it heavier is add weight intot he handle.

we have a 26oz and 28 oz EST XL on our team. i don't hit the ball any further with the 28oz than i do the 26 oz. now i'm not a specimen but for me it really feels like there is extra weight int he handle and thats it. which for me seems to do nothing.

7. lukeamdman

lukeamdman Active Member

I think the extra 2oz is cancelling out for you by possibly losing some bat speed. The extra mass is making up for it.

If I put my 28oz and 30oz DCs on the edge of a table, they both have the exact same tipping point. Since they both weight exactly 28oz and 30oz on a scale, that means there's an extra ounce in the handle and the barrel.

It may vary by manufacturer, but If what you're saying is true, the heavier the bat ( EST XL vs. EST XL) the more balanced it'll weighted. I don't think that's true with Miken/Worth.

8. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

He's not saying it's always like that. He's saying IF it is like that the extra 2 oz doesn't matter.

9. lukeamdman

lukeamdman Active Member

Ah good call.

10. Dars

Dars Addicted to Softballfans

I can tell the difference swinging a 26 and a 27 oz. bat with 1 oz ELs. I hit pretty well with my 26 oz Worth Legit, but I drive through the ball much better with my 27 oz Purcell Legit. Only 1 oz. difference, but the feel, distance and explosiveness off the two bats isn't even close.

11. Normy

Normy Active Member

Do you find the same thing happening when going from 27 to 28 with the same bat? For me, 27 seems to be the magic number.

12. Dars

Yeah, 28 feels just a tad bit too heavy for me, which sounds pretty pathetic. I used an OG DC Psycho before that was 30 oz.and absolutely crushed the ball. Thing is, I was winded and my swing fell apart after maybe 15 or so swings. 27 oz. just feels absolutely perfect for me.

13. Normy

Normy Active Member

Failed to mention that I swing a 1+ oz endload so that may have a lot to do with it. The 28 seemed to make my snap sloppy. I'm sure if it were a balanced bat or slight endload, a 28 or even 29 might be the ticket.

14. Dars

Same here. Swing 1 oz EL, or go home.

15. dunkky

dunkky Active Member

sounds like 28 midload might be ticket for you if you swing 27 full endload. it doesn't make sense to swing heavy if all the weight is at handle. weight should be all on barrel.

16. Dars

Weight on an EL bat is on the end, not the handle.

D-ROCK13 likes this.
  17. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

You're exactly right when you say that some bats have added weight in the handle. Some companies add weight in the handle rather than the end to make their 28-30 oz. bats. I think that's for 2 reasons.... they're lazy, or adding that much weight to the end of the bat will cause the bat to fail batted ball speed testing. I know some bats in heavier weights fail while lighter ones pass. It could also be the reason some endloaded bats aren't even offered in 30 oz.

Anyone who's been playing for a while should remember what ASA did for "bat recertification" years ago. They took existing metal bats and drilled out the handle and added weight. Supposedly that changed the dynamics of the bat and reduced the batted ball speed.

I personally don't mind a balanced bat, but I also don't want a bat with a whole bunch of unnecessary handle weight. I'd rather swing a true 28 oz. endloaded bat than a 30 with 2 oz. added to the handle.

I also agree that any bat touted as being endloaded shouldn't have ANY added handle weight. Balanced models you'll see probably all the extra weight added there.

18. BigWhiffa

BigWhiffa Underwear Researcher

yeah the balance points on the 26 and the 28 oz est xl are completely different. so its not a 1oz handle, 1 oz endcap situation in my opinion. i could be wrong though. it feels like all the weight is in the handle

obviously not all bats are this way.

19. Scottishheat

You realize an oz. is a pack of bubble gum right....?

dunkky likes this.
  20. Normy

Normy Active Member

So I'm gathering that, for the most part, handle weight doesn't do much good. Weight distribution is new to me since I've been out of the game for quite awhile.

21. jbo911

jbo911 Super Moderator

Initially they said some models had to have weight removed from the cap and added to the handle, but I saw any evidence of anything but them adding it to the handle. It may have only been psts, but I remember them saying it about something. Then you'd get a 28 is tri con that weighs over thirty oz.

I did love the 29 oz pst Max though. 28.2 scale weight, short barrel, and felt like the others did before recert. I bet I couldn't take 15 swings with one now without needing oxygen.

22. TWmccoy

TWmccoy 3DX Connoisseur

That whole ASA recert thing was the biggest pile of BS I've ever heard. A lot of those bats were junk compared to what ASA allows today.

23. Dars

Yep, that is why it seems so pathetic that I get tired and winded going up a mere 3 oz. on a bat.

24. Scottishheat

That’s a lot of gum.

25. Hiltz

Hiltz But my mom says I'm cool.

I've seen plenty of re-certified Worth EST's that had the rod added to the handle and the endcap changed. I own a 28oz re-cert that scales close to sticker so I assume the new cap is lighter to compensate for the handle rod. I also own another 28oz that HASN'T been re-certified and it feels completely different from the other.

26. gaternation

gaternation Addicted to Softballfans

Jeez guys a lot of you need to get a prospective here. Why does it matter to you what someone else uses to hit? Does that change you or your life? If you are worrying about what some other person is swinging then you are thinking about things that don't effect you what so ever. That's someone else's concern, no different then when other people drive their own cars or live in their own homes. Worry about yourself and whatever makes you happy in Softball and let other people enjoy swinging whatever they like.

justwhippin and tonys1 like this.
  27. dunkky

dunkky Active Member

it's just a discussion of any softball related. that's all. no one really knows anyone here enough to really care unless they ask for a help on their softball skills. Many have asked already what oz bat they should use, so this can be beneficial to those seeking some answer.

28. Joker

Joker Well-Known Member

the answer to the question can't be answered by strangers on the internet

defos likes this.
  29. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Coach

I don't get it either. Swing what you like... We sat behind the bat bucket at World's one year and most of the major guys were swing 26 and 27's. Why don't all of them swing a 30? They definitely can.

30. dunkky

dunkky Active Member

what percentage swing 26? maybe 27 and above.

if you are happy with what you swing, great. this is just simple physics we are discussing to maximize the benefit.