What do you guys/gals consider to be a mint bat?

Discussion in 'Sales Feedback' started by WeakHitter, Jul 17, 2004.

1. WeakHitter

WeakHitter Coach

I just bought a bat that was discribed as a "mint" bat from someone on this forum. I just wanted to know what you guys consider a "mint " bat to look like. In my mind a mint bat would be no little or no scraches no chips on the bat at all and the orginal grip intack with no wear. Does this sound fair to you guys or am I way off in my discription. I would really like to know? :confused:

2. mrcub8

mrcub8 maybe next year!-Cub fans

I would say mint would be either NIW or slight balls marks that can be cleaned off w/ no scratches but if it has scratches he should have stated excellent condition with minimal bag scrathes due to regular use not MINT. :(

3. coreyc

coreyc Coach

People really should let you know if they have torn the original grip off the bat they are trying to sell you. Especially if they are selling the bat as mint or "like new".

I bought a crush from a guy here last week. He sent me some pics before I bought it, and had the handle cropped off. I didn't notice it at the time, but once I got the bat it was obvious that he was trying to hide the fact that the grip was torn off it. Now this isn't a big deal to me, but I was a little annoyed that he didn't tell me about the grip while we were making the deal. This little detail isn't enough to make the deal a bad one, but it is enough for me to avoid buying from this guy again.

To answer your question, MINT should be NIW or should at least appear to look as if the bat just came from the wrapper.

4. jlnorsworthy

jlnorsworthy <font color="#000368">Wookie</font>

I would cut the guy some slack on the grip issue. I know a lot of guys replace the grip as soon as they buy the bat. They would never swing a bat with a stock grip, so they don't even consider the idea that someone might actually want the stock grip when they are trading. As for cropping the picture, again, when making a trade, the important part of the bat is the barrel. True, you can tell a bat is well used if the knob is all scuffed/chipped, but I think most people worry about the barrel. Now if you had asked about the grip, that is another thing. I am not trying to change your mind here, just giving you a way to look at it where you weren't screwed or deceived - so you can be happy with your deal :)

Jason

5. consistencyplz

consistencyplz Creative Genius

mint to me would mean that its basically brand new with 5 swings on it and it didnt sit in someones bat bag for a half of a season...

6. TWmccoy

TWmccoy <font color="#FF0000">3DX Connoisseur</font>

Mint bat

To me, mint is basically a bat with the wrapper just pulled off it. Maybe a few bp swings, but no scratches. It must have the original grip too. I also think that when selling a bat you should tell the buyer that the grip has been messed with.

7. bkc

bkc Guest

yep..............flawless

8. WeakHitter

WeakHitter Coach

Well it looks like I got hosed. As I thought. I received a bat that was discribed as mint and came to me with at least 15 chips in the paint, original grip off,and about 150 scraches all over the bat. Talk about chapped! :eek: Well thanks for the feedback.

9. hotcorner1268

hotcorner1268 Master Baiter

That's terrible! I started buying from here because I got hosed as part of that wicked scam on ebay. I was hoping that the guys on this site would be more honest, and above al RESPECTABLE! I have so far done about 5 deals on this site wothout any real problems, but I digress.

In my opinion a MINT bat has less than 20-30 swings on it, has been cleaned and shows NO discernable signs of wear, and is in original condition, including grip, unless otherwise stated. If the bat does not meet these conditions then it has to be downgraded to EXCELLENT. Your description of excellent may be more strict or liberal, but mint is mint, and there is no way aound that.

10. Missy#7

Missy#7 Ball Crusher

As a person who ALWAYS tears off the stock grip on her bats when she gets them, I can honestly say I've never considered the grip to be important info. I guess because everyone I know tears them off, or knows how to go buy a new one. Now that I know it's important to some, I'll include that info in my next bat deal! I hadn't thought of it. :D

11. TWmccoy

TWmccoy <font color="#FF0000">3DX Connoisseur</font>

grips

I actually like the stock grip on most bats. If I take it off, the handle gets too narrow for my big hands. Sometimes I wrap a second grip around the existing one.

12. Missy#7

Missy#7 Ball Crusher

Oh, it's great that it was pointed out, as I said, I never really thought about it before, but I will now. :D