Do you guys try hard when you are subbing?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Tonight i subbed for a buddys team that hasnt won a game yet and we lost 6-1 and 13-12. The first game i made some diving plays in the OF, slid at a field that i play at alot but havent slid at all year cuz its so hard, and was 3-3. Because of all of that my pants were ripped and my arm was scratched up pretty good and bleeding, and my knee was swelling up(its bad from prior injuries and usually when i run on that hard infield or outfield it starts swelling). The second game i went in not trying as hard because of those reasons. I led off an inning with a ball in the gap and trotted to 2nd when that usually gets me 3 or an inside the parker. The next 2 guys flew out and then a groundout to end the inning so i didnt score. I kind of feel bad cuz those guys havent won yet and if i come out of the box hard i score and they are at least tied up. When you guys sub do you play all out or see it as glorified BP?

JBailey

Depends on who you're playing for.........that's all.

If the team knows they're not good, they don't expect you to show up and make them win.....they just needed a body. But if you sub for a real good team, I'd play hard.

Shook8

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah pretty much. I sub in on my buddys tournament team sometime but I usually ask him to let me catch so I can pretty much just show up to get some swings in. Last tournament I went 14-16 with 4 hrs so I guess I tried a little;)

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on who you're playing for.........that's all.

If the team knows they're not good, they don't expect you to show up and make them win.....they just needed a body. But if you sub for a real good team, I'd play hard.

Thats what i was thinking. They know theyre not great, but also know theyre better than 0-14 so they want to win. The 3 teams i committed to play for are like 36-4(small brag) and i go all out every game, but the trend seems to be the teams i sub for being nowhere near the level of my usual teams

babales

Only kind of here
Yeah pretty much. I sub in on my buddys tournament team sometime but I usually ask him to let me catch so I can pretty much just show up to get some swings in. Last tournament I went 14-16 with 4 hrs so I guess I tried a little;)

Ah man, that's awesome! You're awesome. It is awesome that you shared that with us! Awesome!

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here

wanna date a hot 20 something guy?
<-------------------:D

Shook8

Addicted to Softballfans
Ah man, that's awesome! You're awesome. It is awesome that you shared that with us! Awesome!

Thanks for the awesome post thinking I'm awesome sharing this awesome post with such an awesome group of guys on this awesome site!

babales

Only kind of here
Thanks for the awesome post thinking I'm awesome sharing this awesome post with such an awesome group of guys on this awesome site!

The way I see it, there is no use being awesome if other people don't recognize you're awesome. It is awesome that agree that it was awesome for me to comment on how awesome you are when you told us how awesome...well, you are.

WarningTrackHR

Last Brawh Standing
Normally I say give just enough so they can't give you any **** after the game. Anymore than that and they may ask you back.

sellinit

Addicted to Softballfans
Play hard, use it as some practice if the teams not so good. Dont take anything away from your own game, IMO

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
Tonight i subbed for a buddys team that hasnt won a game yet and we lost 6-1 and 13-12. The first game i made some diving plays in the OF, slid at a field that i play at alot but havent slid at all year cuz its so hard, and was 3-3. Because of all of that my pants were ripped and my arm was scratched up pretty good and bleeding, and my knee was swelling up(its bad from prior injuries and usually when i run on that hard infield or outfield it starts swelling). The second game i went in not trying as hard because of those reasons. I led off an inning with a ball in the gap and trotted to 2nd when that usually gets me 3 or an inside the parker. The next 2 guys flew out and then a groundout to end the inning so i didnt score. I kind of feel bad cuz those guys havent won yet and if i come out of the box hard i score and they are at least tied up. When you guys sub do you play all out or see it as glorified BP?

I don't get called to sub because I suck.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans

Have to give you credit for admitting that you dogged it.....I guess. Not acceptable at all by the way.

If you respect the game and respect yourself you play 100% all the time or dont bother.

Some of the things that are acceptable in slo-pitch, and the feeling about playing leagues as compared to tournaments is really off the charts pi$$ poor.

TheJackal666

Silence....I keel you
I subbed on a fully sponsored team for one day. Went 4-4 and no errors at SS. I'm now a permanent player and we're tied for 1st. It does depend on the team, but I usually try my best and hopefully it pays off.

A friend of mine subbed and was picked up by a fully sponsored tournament team because he busted is butt.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
"I play as hard as I would for my own team. "

I agree....as the mgr of my team, sometimes it's hard to get legit ringers to come out and play when we are short, but nonetheless I still expect subs to play hard. This might be the case for some of you, sometimes bringing in some new blood can turn the chemistry around and end up in W.

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans
if they sucks and don't wanna try I'm not getting hurt for them!

on the other its when you are going 50% that you usually get hurt.

Biglny33

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont like looking bad though no matter what team it is so I try and play hard enough to not look bad...lol

Mixxed

Manager
If I sub for a team, I'll always play to win... but there are certain precautions I may take.

If I'm subbing for a rec/lower-level team, I'm NOT going to do anything that may cause me to get hurt (diving catches in the outfield, sliding, etc...). I'm still going to give my usual level of effort otherwise...

If I'm subbing for a league or tourney team, I want to make as good an impression as possible... I may go a little more "all out" for some plays.

My regular tourney team, the guys I play with every other weekend in tournaments for the past several years, I'm giving 110%.... STILL within reason. Ain't NOBODY getting PAID to play softball. LOL.