How to judge the Bat Reviews section?

culb

The Rookie
So... I'm looking for an ASA bat, and the reviews and opinions I'm seeing from the message boards here vary greatly from the Bat Reviews listed on the main site. I'm looking specifically at the Maniac 585 which seems like a good deal at $150(my max price) but I've seen a ton of average to negative reviews from the board posters.

So what do I go by? Basically, how much stock do I put into the reviews versus opinions. Personally, I think that group opinions tend to outweigh single person opinions, so I'd tend to go by the Reviews. And yes, I fully appreciate the irony of asking the board members this question.

bearski

Addicted to Softballfans
this is true.i guess start here. when you look at the review see if its utrip or asa that way you can get a good asa bat review then once u see a bat thats asa read that review to decide GOODLUCK

Chadwick24

You're Cut!!!
besides the fact that its not ASA

you never know what your gonna like until you get it in your hands and swing it particular bats have folowings and some bats are big no nos
thats why you see so much trading and selling on here

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
You can disegard most of them. Especially the reviewers who haven't actually swung the bat they're reviewing.

Martell

Texas/New Mex Vinci Rep
we all know the review section is garbage so what I do is I look at the history of the reviews in the section if a bat continuously has good reviews over the years than it has to be a good bat.... take the Freak plus for instance.. or the ASA Recoil or ASA NRG for ASA

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
Once you have been here for a little while you get to know who the educated board members are. I then look at their reviews of bats in the review sections and skip over the reviews of others.

chile

Bad Ape
i wouldn't say the whole review section is garbage...i just look to see who the reviewer is, then decide if i will read it.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
If you wanna go Miken, for ~$150 or less you can get an NRG 500, Maniac 484, or maybe an ASA Recoil if you're not too set on aesthetics. The Maniac has the worst reviews of them, but don't be fooled -- when given the proper amount of TLC (in the form of BP) it opens up and can hang with most any top ASA stick. Even the Maniac 282 can become a missile launcher, it just takes longer than the 484.

If you really want to see what's up with a review, check for forum posts by the reviewer to get an idea of whether or not they know what they're talking about. I think I've reviewed one bat (Maniac 282), and I based the ratings on how I thought it compared to other ASA sticks I've swung (Anti Virus, Afflicted, SCN8, Recoil 180, CF3)...others sometimes don't do that. You'll see people who've never swung a bat outside a cage, or never swung anything else, and give it straight 10s, or the jackasses who review ASA bats against the OG Ultra.

Last edited:

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
If you wanna go Miken, for ~$150 or less you can get an NRG 500, Maniac 484, or maybe an ASA Recoil if you're not too set on aesthetics. The Maniac has the worst reviews of them, but don't be fooled -- when given the proper amount of TLC (in the form of BP) it opens up and can hang with most any top ASA stick. Even the Maniac 282 can become a missile launcher, it just takes longer than the 484.

I think it's getting harder and harder to get a NRG or Recoil at that price, but you are right on about the 484. Some reason they aren't getting the respect the deserve. I'm trying to buy one before they skyrocket in price.

gooch43

Addicted to Softballfans
If you need a review and its a bat im trying to move...i'll give it an honest review.

culb

The Rookie
Thanks for the advice on how to judge the reviews. Comparing bat reviews versus the posts by the reviewer makes a ton of sense. I'm not sure how I glossed over the 585 not being an ASA bat. BUT, I did find out that my league also allows USSSA 1.20 bats, so that opens it up for me a bit.

And thanks for the advice about used bats, but I'm gonna get a new one... just my thing. I'm a casual player, so I don't need anything top of the line, just something that I will be the only one using and will last me 5+ years at two leagues per year. Simple.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
if you want to use the review section, then only use them as a reference point. find some that sound good, then search on here for the real/better reviews

Lord7

Banned User
if you want to use the review section, then only use them as a reference point. find some that sound good, then search on here for the real/better reviews

Exactly. It's hard to take the review section seriously when they don't even have a rating area for clearcoat. It takes a search to get that kind of insider info:)

culb

The Rookie
Just found an SSR1 at SA for $160, and jumped on it. It seems like a solid bat for my price range. They had it on sale, plus another 20% off everything in stock. I'm happy.

TheJackal666

Silence....I keel you
Thanks for the advice on how to judge the reviews. Comparing bat reviews versus the posts by the reviewer makes a ton of sense. I'm not sure how I glossed over the 585 not being an ASA bat. BUT, I did find out that my league also allows USSSA 1.20 bats, so that opens it up for me a bit.

And thanks for the advice about used bats, but I'm gonna get a new one... just my thing. I'm a casual player, so I don't need anything top of the line, just something that I will be the only one using and will last me 5+ years at two leagues per year. Simple.
It opens up your options A LOT.
If your league allows USSSA bats, just buy an orange Recoil and call it a day.
I agree. The SBF store has it for $149.99, right in your budget.
Ignore this post. There are way too many bats better than this for USSSA.
He'd prefer NIW and the Recoil is a tank. For $150, NIW Recoil is a good deal.