How much farther to hit over 30 ft fence??

h20crazy

Addicted to Softballfans
In my league, we have 2 fields that have 30 ft fences. Its 275 down the line. I clear the fence about once every other game. Just wondering, anyone have a guesstimation on how far you would need to hit the ball to clear a 30 ft. fence at say, 275 ft?

usmcluberti

Banned User
Dont want to get e slapped:eek:

aFu_ComputerSlap.gif

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm guessing what you're looking for is some ego stroking, someone to say "Oh, that's at least a 350' shot every time!". In reality, it's possible to clear it with as little as 285' on a somewhat realistic trajectory. It'd be one hell of a high fly ball, but it's still possible.

Realistically, though, about 300-305'. Assuming a decent exit speed on a 'normal' trajectory.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
not to be capn buzz kill but technically there's no good answer. 276' is the answer. if you hit it high and it came straight down it could land 1' behind the fence.

Sinsation

Starting Player
ummm...without doing any math and just with a quick sketch, it'd depend on the launch angle(i assumed 45°)...it'd have to be about 305ft. this is also assuming intial height of 5 ft.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
not to be capn buzz kill but technically there's no good answer. 276' is the answer. if you hit it high and it came straight down it could land 1' behind the fence.

This is virtually impossible in the real world, though.

I actually tried to get this to work out in a simulation. It doesn't. Even with a 69.5* launch angle, a 136.5mph BBS, and in Flagstaff at 6900', the ball still carries 280'.

*Edit*

For how ridiculous that simulation is, the ball ends up well over 275' in the air vertically, and uses such extreme values that the ball travels 630' on a much more normal 35.5* launch angle. Even that, the closest you could get to having a ball have zero forward momentum when it crosses the fence, it still lands 5' further than the base of the fence.

Last edited:

h20crazy

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm guessing what you're looking for is some ego stroking, someone to say "Oh, that's at least a 350' shot every time!". In reality, it's possible to clear it with as little as 285' on a somewhat realistic trajectory. It'd be one hell of a high fly ball, but it's still possible.

Realistically, though, about 300-305'. Assuming a decent exit speed on a 'normal' trajectory.

I'm guessing we all know what happens when people assume things.Take it easy. I dont need anyone to stroke my ego. Its just something i've been wondering for a few years now and wanted to get some input from some people on here, that's all.

I've been telling one of my buddies 290 and see that some people agree with that number.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm guessing we all know what happens when people assume things.Take it easy. I dont need anyone to stroke my ego. Its just something i've been wondering for a few years now and wanted to get some input from some people on here, that's all.

I've been telling one of my buddies 290 and see that some people agree with that number.

My bad. Just figured it was a typical "I hitz da bombz" thread that pops up 78 times a day.

300' is a pretty safe estimate unless you're putting it out with an insane amount of topspin.

damman18

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah i hit a ball 305 or so last week on a 300 foot fence and would have cleared a 30 foot high fence. but i am sure all of yours are 550+

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Have the same thing at a field i play at where the fence is 280' all the way around with 25' fence. The rest of the fields i play at are 300-305' with 10' fences. For some reason ive hit more homers on the shorter field than the rest but in reality those balls wouldve gone out on the other field as well. Rule of tumb is almost the distance the fence is labeled is to the base then you have to add the heighth of the fence to find the distance to hit it over on a normal trajectory

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
You have to use pathaorgarean theory. And I think pi is 3.14. I'm no math whiz, so someone will need to do these calcs.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
How do they guestimate HR shots at MLB parks that hit off say a scoreboard or section of stadium in mid-flight and stop further flight of the ball? Is it pure guesswork or is there some partially accurate science behind it.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
How do they guestimate HR shots at MLB parks that hit off say a scoreboard or section of stadium in mid-flight and stop further flight of the ball? Is it pure guesswork or is there some partially accurate science behind it.

It's not partially accurate, it's stupidly accurate. That pitchFx system can be used to track trajectory, spin, and exit speed on home runs. Then given current conditions, a model can be made and the simulation done really quickly.

Sinsation

Starting Player
yeah, the computers can model those things extremely accurately and way faster than any human can. the method i was using was basically just to draw a parabola on graph paper. with an initial height of 5ft and make it go over 30ft @ 275ft. then just see how far along the x axis it went. IRL the ball flight isnt parabolic because of air resistance, and newtonian drag, computers > me in this...