ASA ASA ejection for throwing glove down in OF

TheGame

Manager
Just curious to hear some feedback on this. I threw my glove down next to me in the OF in frustration after a play. Apparently the ump saw it and told our catcher to tell me if I did it again I would be ejected! The catcher didn't tell me between innings (that's another story), so next inning, after the play was over on a missed ball on a running catch, I turned to the fence and tossed my glove 6 ft in the air and 3ft away. I went right over and got it but I turned around and heard I was out of the game. I spoke to the ump after the game, apologized, and he said it was unsportsmanlike conduct towards the other team. I also heard him say to our coach (who was also at a loss for the ejection) when I got to the bench that I was warned and it was a "dog and pony show" out there.

I've played this game a loonnnggg time, I've never ever heard of anyone being ejected from a game for throwing their glove down next to them in frustration or in the air after a play, especially 300 ft away in the outfield. There was no cursing or anything else going on from me. People have thrown bats and shouted at umps they've blown calls to their face and not been tossed.

Has this happened to anyone before and is the ejection legitimate?

Appreciate the feedback.

bdubbew

Addicted to Softballfans
I have seen a pitcher call time after a bad play then toss the ball from the mound to the fence by dugout.. the bad thing, i was umpin should have tossed him. but i told him to stop bein a douche and get the ball.. back to your story, i dont know if ya should have been tossed, i wouldnt have tossed ya. but in my opinion it is childish..

Jbird11

Quit being such a baby and throwin yer glove??? How bout that for a pretty simple solution?

Boston's #7

Star Player
Glove throwing in frustration is NGTG. Quit whining about your team...or just don’t play. I have a guy on my team like that who is about to be cut for the same antics.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I wouldn't eject you from the game but I'd cut you from roster for sure.
That antic means you won't be any good rest of game/season/year.

Jbird11

Seriously... even if the ump didn't toss you... I'd boot you if I was the manager. You're showing frustration towards your TEAMMATES. Instead of trying to help them get better, you're showing them up by your childish antics.

Grow up, IMO.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Glove throwing in frustration is NGTG. Quit whining about your team...or just don’t play. I have a guy on my team like that who is about to be cut for the same antics.

I wouldn't eject you from the game but I'd cut you from roster for sure.
That antic means you won't be any good rest of game/season/year.

Seriously... even if the ump didn't toss you... I'd boot you if I was the manager. You're showing frustration towards your TEAMMATES. Instead of trying to help them get better, you're showing them up by your childish antics.

Grow up, IMO.

im pretty sure the OP said he was throwing his glove after plays he attempted to make, not after plays where someone else f'd up. i have no problem with someone "venting" after they mess up, but i do have a problem after someone "venting" after someone else messes up, assuming were talking about league play.

and whats the difference between someone throwing their glove (yes i know its childish) or someone screaming F*CK or someone slamming their bat after screwing up????

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Just curious to hear some feedback on this. I threw my glove down next to me in the OF in frustration after a play. Apparently the ump saw it and told our catcher to tell me if I did it again I would be ejected! The catcher didn't tell me between innings (that's another story), so next inning, after the play was over on a missed ball on a running catch, I turned to the fence and tossed my glove 6 ft in the air and 3ft away. I went right over and got it but I turned around and heard I was out of the game. I spoke to the ump after the game, apologized, and he said it was unsportsmanlike conduct towards the other team. I also heard him say to our coach (who was also at a loss for the ejection) when I got to the bench that I was warned and it was a "dog and pony show" out there.

I've played this game a loonnnggg time, I've never ever heard of anyone being ejected from a game for throwing their glove down next to them in frustration or in the air after a play, especially 300 ft away in the outfield. There was no cursing or anything else going on from me. People have thrown bats and shouted at umps they've blown calls to their face and not been tossed.

Has this happened to anyone before and is the ejection legitimate?

Appreciate the feedback.

id tell the ump, if you wanted to warn me, then warn ME, its a chicken shlt move on his part to handle it the way he did. last time i checked it wasnt the catchers responsibility to issue warnings on behalf of the umpis. and what happens if after mentioning it to the catcher, you did it on the very next play? would he still eject you? did he ever confirm with the catcher that you were actually warned?

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Several years ago, I had a crybaby punk that played left field on my team. We were in the finals of a tournament and the left center fielder "cut him off" and made a catch on a fly ball. The LF threw his glove into the air and it came down outside the fence. When he tried to call time to go get it, the ump said, too bad.... Play ball. The next 3 players hit the ball to left before we could get him his glove back. We lost by one run. Coach cut him, and I never played with him again.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
id tell the ump, if you wanted to warn me, then warn ME, its a chicken shlt move on his part to handle it the way he did. last time i checked it wasnt the catchers responsibility to issue warnings on behalf of the umpis. and what happens if after mentioning it to the catcher, you did it on the very next play? would he still eject you? did he ever confirm with the catcher that you were actually warned?

Was the catcher the coach/team rep? If so, the warning was legit.

STROKINSEEDS33

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I would rather have a teammate throw his glove down in frustration over a play, instead of the teammate who we have all had who does their best mike matusow blow up impression on everyone on the team and stops hustling because someone booted a ball. Or the pitcher who gets the ball back and stands there yelling and staring at someone because they miss played a ball. Yes throwing your glove, bat or hat in frustration is not the greatest thing to do, just remember if the pro's can make errors and miss play balls we can too.

Boston's #7

Star Player
and whats the difference between someone throwing their glove (yes i know its childish) or someone screaming F*CK or someone slamming their bat after screwing up????

There isn't a difference....would cut him for all of the above.

It’s time to look for better players who know how to keep their composure with things don't go the way they want.

Labrecski11

Star Player
throwing your glove is only GTG when you are shagging balls in BP and the ball is flying past you. Other than that, doing it in a game is childish and you deserve to get tossed for repeatedly doing it. I wouldnt expect to come on here and look for pitty from anyone. I bet you if you ask your teammates, they were probably embarassed themselves that you were throwing a tantrum, it makes the whole team look bad when one guy acts like a dingleberry.

Traenok

Star Player
Several years ago, I had a crybaby punk that played left field on my team. We were in the finals of a tournament and the left center fielder "cut him off" and made a catch on a fly ball. The LF threw his glove into the air and it came down outside the fence. When he tried to call time to go get it, the ump said, too bad.... Play ball. The next 3 players hit the ball to left before we could get him his glove back. We lost by one run. Coach cut him, and I never played with him again.

That is A W E S O M E !

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Ump was a doucher/control freak.

Who cares if you vent a little by throwing your glove. It in no way affects the outcome of the game.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Damn. Some of you clowns are really wound up tight.

He didn't give his wife a black eye, he threw his glove to vent his frustration at his own play. He didn't throw it at the ump or at another player to start a fight, he simply chucked it in the air.

It recreational softball. It's a bunch of grown up kids playing a girls sport. One of the main reasons we are playing is to have an emotional outlet for our crappy jobs and miserable marriages. Let the poor schmuck throw his golve.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
If it doesn't hit the ball, usually none.

If you have a Nazi ump, I suppose he can toss you for unsportsmanlike conduct.