USSSA Correct Call? Ball Dead?

Ryanc750

Addicted to Softballfans
Was watching a game this weekend and saw a play that I was curious to see what you guys thought…. U-trip sanctioned, 1 courtesy foul… Ok- Bases are loaded with 1 out. The batter has no fouls remaining. He hits a lazy pop up that is foul, and the first baseman runs, slides, and catches the ball (no call has been made yet that the batter is out or the ball is dead), well for some reason the guy on 2nd base had ran off the bag like he was going to go to 3rd and the 1st baseman thows it over there and 2nd baseman tags the runner out. For what they think “is a double play”. Well the team that’s hitting, speaks up and says “No way, that’s a dead ball on 3rd strike foul (fouled out)”… I agree with the batter being out by the ball being fouled out, but whats the rulling for the guy coming off of 2nd base and getting tagged, Time was never called so is it assumed that the game is timed out since the batter had just fouled out?

Ryanc750

Addicted to Softballfans
So the play ended up, the guy who batted was out, and the guy on 2nd got to go back to 2nd.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
So the play ended up, the guy who batted was out, and the guy on 2nd got to go back to 2nd.

Correct call. It is a dead ball.

If you cannot advance on a strike out, how would it make sense that you could be tagged out for not retouching the bag?

bigdaddy07

Drive by poster
If the fielder caught the ball "before" it hit the ground, then technically it is considered a fly out and the runner should have been called out at the point of the tag upon returning to second. Doesn't matter where the ball was when it was caught.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
If the fielder caught the ball "before" it hit the ground, then technically it is considered a fly out and the runner should have been called out at the point of the tag upon returning to second. Doesn't matter where the ball was when it was caught.

You would be correct in most associations.... in USSSA you are NOT correct. STRIKE OUT, DEAD BALL

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Usssa rule 7:

sec. 6. A foul ball is a legally batted ball which does not conform to the provisions
or rules that would cause it to be a fair ball.
2. A foul fly may be caught, thus putting the runners in jeopardy. (refer to 7-
2d for exception).

Sec. 2. The batter is out if:
D. He has a second strike.
1. He hits second foul after one strike, then the ball is dead.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
I love this rule... it is funny when I play or Umpire to hear people say,,,," if it's foul, let it go"...that is when i like to tell them it doesn't make a difference as the runner can't advance on a dead ball...LOL

pompetti

Softball Player
I love this rule... it is funny when I play or Umpire to hear people say,,,," if it's foul, let it go"...that is when i like to tell them it doesn't make a difference as the runner can't advance on a dead ball...LOL

I say that all the time, knowing that it doesn't make a difference, but more to prevent my teammates from running into a fence or getting hurt attempting to catch a ball that doesn't need to be caught for the out.

That's a reason why the USSSA interpretation of this play is silly.

The ump made the "right" call considering the association. All associations have these little plays that differ.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
That's a reason why the USSSA interpretation of this play is silly.

The ump made the "right" call considering the association. All associations have these little plays that differ.

Why do you say it is silly?

UTrip has PLENTY of "silly" interpretations, I don't feel that this one IS silly tho.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Had an ump call this correctly for the first time last night. The manager for the other team just about got tossed for arguing it.

thief55

Addicted to Softballfans
People say "if its foul let it go" to keep a fielder from making a catch with runners on base. If the fielder makes the catch it isnt a dead ball and the runners can advance.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
People say "if its foul let it go" to keep a fielder from making a catch with runners on base. If the fielder makes the catch it isnt a dead ball and the runners can advance.

Please read the thread before you post untrue crap.
As stated multiple times, in USSSA the strikeout happens before the catch. Dead ball, no one can advance or be doubled up.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
As stated multiple times, in USSSA the strikeout happens before the catch. Dead ball, no one can advance or be doubled up.

this is the idiocy that we see on the field everynight......plus catching DBO ball preserves game time as you don;t have to chase down etc.....and in some cases would save enough time to start another inning......but if they wanna let eveything drop and cut into their gametime so be it!!

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
if the ball was caught it stays a live ball

If you were just trolling then carry on.