5 Man Infield ??

SChase

The Rookie
Advantages Vs Disadvantages ? I personally think if you have 3 fast/solid outfielders it has to be an advantage cause it pretty much forces the ball in the air then you have 3 good outfielders to run them down. I know all the upper tournament teams run a 5 man so they must be onto somethin... What's yalls input ?

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
It closes up the middle and closes the 6 hole but you will give up gap shots and you better have fast outfielders.

Kramit

It closes up the middle and closes the 6 hole but you will give up gap shots and you better have fast outfielders.

The above is true. One thing you should look at before you decide to go to a five man is how good is your infield? Most rec softball teams have only two or three guys who can play in the infield, so for them it would probably hurt more than it would help. You also have to rate your pitcher. Is he ground ball pitcher? Does he get a lot of high fly balls? Do people hit a lot of line drives off him? Would those line drives shoot the gaps with a three man outfield? How fast is your outfield? Do they get a good jump on the ball? Can they make the hard catches on the run?

Most higher level teams have the talent to play the five man infield because they have a great pitcher and great defenders in the field. Most lower level teams are spotty at positions, so in answer to your original questions "yes" for some "no" for others.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Advantages Vs Disadvantages ? I personally think if you have 3 fast/solid outfielders it has to be an advantage cause it pretty much forces the ball in the air then you have 3 good outfielders to run them down. I know all the upper tournament teams run a 5 man so they must be onto somethin... What's yalls input ?

I think you answered your own question.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Got to have a pitcher that can pitch to the 5 man infield. It all starts there

This. If you don't, any decent hitting team wil hit the gaps all day.

A 5-man is the way to go, but only if you have the personnel for it. Starts with a P that knows how to pitch to a 5-man. The MI needs to be as adept as the 2B with the glove, and preferably with a better arm. You MUST have 3 OF's with plus range, and an average arm at worst. I struggle playing OF in a 5-man even though I have good range because my arm is below average.

#2 @ infield

Addicted to Softballfans
We play a pretty good 5 man, want say where great but we do it ok. We have had the chance to get alot of good info from a few A an Major players on playing the 5man.

Original Donkey

Older, yet still fast
This. If you don't, any decent hitting team wil hit the gaps all day.

A 5-man is the way to go, but only if you have the personnel for it. Starts with a P that knows how to pitch to a 5-man. The MI needs to be as adept as the 2B with the glove, and preferably with a better arm. You MUST have 3 OF's with plus range, and an average arm at worst. I struggle playing OF in a 5-man even though I have good range because my arm is below average.

Same here. I play LC or RC on a 4 man, but I am definitely a corner position outfielder on the 3 outfielder thing. Another thing you need to take into account, is the toll it takes on the outfielders. If you plan on doing this in league, probably no problem. But if you are trying to work your way back through on a sunday, in 90 degree heat with 70% humidity, expect some dragging azzes out and back. Not to mention the bat production goes down by the 4th game. :(

#2 @ infield

Addicted to Softballfans
I also will shift my center fielder opp the my middle infielder or play him staright up that way when i move to the opp side of the 5th man he can see alot better. Our center fielder is one of the faster guys i have ever seen lol

blautz

The Skipper
I play on an E / Rec team and the problem we have with 5 man is our SS and 2B are very good for the level but all their instincts are based on their baseball past. The 5man requires them to "think" instead of react. We will only play 5man in league if the team is really putting the ball on the ground. If they are a good team hitting gaps we will just roll out a normal defense.

QUINTIN

Addicted to Softballfans
So what is you're definition of "pitching" to a 5 man ? How should it be pitched to ?

Chowder

Addicted to Softballfans
What everyone has said is spot on.

But, It also depends on the size of the field and homerun limits/penalties. If its a big field with liberal HR limits, batters will be free swinging and I'd say play normal. If it's a small field with stricter HR rules, batters will be trying to swing down and you should go with 5 man.

If it's a big field with strict limits or a small field with liberal rules....its a toss-up.

Grip_&_Rip24

East Coast Assault
So what is you're definition of "pitching" to a 5 man ? How should it be pitched to ?

if you have your IF setup on the left side for a right handed batter -- an outside pitch would be useless.. just knowing where to locate pitches gives you an advantage.. also as a P knowing where to peel back after the pitch is thrown you can somewhat create a "6 man" IF if done correctly

NDrobber_03

Addicted to Softballfans
It all hinges with pitcher knowing how to make pitches to the advantage of your IF & OF regardless of your setup.

1MasterBatter

No Goddamn Soliciting
I play on an E / Rec team and the problem we have with 5 man is our SS and 2B are very good for the level but all their instincts are based on their baseball past. The 5man requires them to "think" instead of react. We will only play 5man in league if the team is really putting the ball on the ground. If they are a good team hitting gaps we will just roll out a normal defense.

5 man for e rec?

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Your pitcher has to be able to induce grounders, and preferably to a particular side.

5 man for e rec?
In a low-level rec league I'm in I'll sometimes come in from RC, almost playing a deep MI (5-10 feet back on the grass). I'll do this if the batter can't really drive it (no HR limit...it really is LOW level), and if there is a force at 2B. I forced a couple dozen runners at 2B last year, and a few at 3B as well (when there was a slow runner on 2B).

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
The 5 man works great when the team you are playing is out of home runs, and they have a lot of power. In ISA, once you are out of bombs, a HR means the end of the inning.

We always run a 5 man, because we got 3 rabbits in the outfield.

As a hitter, I am more of a hard ground ball/line drive hitter, so I would rather see a 4 man than a 5 man..

Now, if you are a Rec or E team, and your infielders have no clue how to play a 5 man (I see it all the time).. I would suggest you staying in a 4 man outfield.