Pitching Gear and Safety

MarcTheArc

<font color="#000080">Arc Angels Softball</font>
Enjoying this thread, have been pitching off and on for the last 6-7 years, but this year I have primarily been on the bump for tournaments and league.... while I have never been too worried about someone hitting me during league, tournies have always been another story.... like most pitchers, first thing I do after I release the ball is back up and get ready..... so far that has gotten me by..... but now that I have to worry about more than just my self (have a 1 year old little girl) and reading alot of your post recently, I am seriously considering getting a mask for league and tournies....

was it hard for you guys to get used to wearing one? was considering the helmet type so I had complete head coverage, but also don't want to have to worry about my field of view being blocked any....

Forget considering, if you pitch get one. You saw the pics posted in this thread....what is there to consider????

Face Off worked best for me, I have astigmatism and the cage of the helmets distracted my vision.

I'm in the market for shin guards now and really like how the motorcross shin/knee guards feel and fit, just they are all so short (designed to be worn with boots). Could you take some pictures of your shin guards so I could add it above?

http://www.midwestbroomball.com//D-Gel-PROTEK-BR-PVC-Leg-Guards-Pads-P56.aspx

^^^ I agree I am the first pitcher in my town to wear one and I am starting to get a lot of questions about how they feek=l and about the visability. Soon enough people will cathch on. It only takes one scare to realize your life is more important

What's more important that some times it's more than a "scare" that is the motovation.

And as far as no one else in your town/league/tourney level wears one so what? There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself and your loved ones from a potentially devastating injury. With all the glass bats out there these days and the mentality of those that swing them the odds are stacked against pitchers...if pitching was easy and safe then everyone would pitch.

klu

on the mound
I agree with everything in this thread. I pitch a lot and won't go to the mound with out my sbph, 14 or 15" roddy glove, shin guards, and a cup. Safety is everything. We have jobs to go to the next day, I don't need a extracurricular activity killing my paycheck.

KannonsDad

**** you
Thanks for including more! Mind sharing which helmet you have and some pro's, con's?

I bought a GameFace and the crossbars seemed too thin for me. I sold it and picked up a Combat FaceOff because it is more sturdy. I have no visibility issues. It's light weight and comfortable. I haven't taken one off the mask.... yet.

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Protection

I agree with everything in this thread. I pitch a lot and won't go to the mound with out my sbph, 14 or 15" roddy glove, shin guards, and a cup. Safety is everything. We have jobs to go to the next day, I don't need a extracurricular activity killing my paycheck.

I agree w/ this 100%, very well said, we got families and jobs to go to after a game or tournament. I have nothing to prove to anyone by not wearing protection and there is too much at stake to go w/o it.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Kaerey - Great thread with a LOT of good info.

PITCHERS....if you are NOT doing it, START doing it! I haven't been scared with a hit YET...but YET may be too late. Got the helmet and am considering the shin guards and the chest protector.

Thumbs up big guy!!!

brocstar

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks hot as ****...

I wear the roost deflector, Evo shield on the wrist,
This
fe2a7579.jpg

And these If I want my knee cap covered
b455b0b9.jpg

Or
e76e68a3.jpg

alteredzx

Bazinga
I refuse to pitch without wearing my Worth Helmet. In a tournament about 6 weeks ago, I took a line drive off the back of my glove, my glove hit my helmet, my helmet hit me hard enough to leave a bruise right above my right temple. The guy who hit it is a friend of mine that just absolutely hits missiles. He tried to go backside and I jammed him. The ball went about 15 feet in the air to my SS.

ninerniner

Addicted to Softballfans
This thread has TONS of good info! While I don't pitch I would definitely lean towards a Lacrosse helmet. I saw one in action when my bro was wearing his and got hit by a ball that one hopped our left fielder after it hit him. He was unconcious for a few seconds but it definitely saved his life! All these other helmets just don't seem to have the same protection as a Lacrosse helmet. People forget that its kinda first reaction to turn your face away from something flying at it. lol. May want some side protection!!

He also wears shin gaurds (I think soccer gaurds) after having compartment syndrome.

I wear a FaceOff in the infield and somethimes wish it had higher protection and covered my temples more but the visibility is awesome!!

brocstar

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks,

Brocstar, can you write up a description of your hockey guards and your lizard skins? To be included in the first post?

Hockey shin guards: they will provide you with the most protection, how ever they are the bulkiest and getting your over them pants is not the easiest. But like i said the do provide you with that protection. They are very difficult to run in. Can be had for 40 dollars.

Lizard skins: these are awesome. I love these things. There only down fall is they do not provide protection over the knee cap. These can be put on at 7am and taken off when the tournament is over. There easy to run and hit in.

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
Hockey shin guards: they will provide you with the most protection, how ever they are the bulkiest and getting your over them pants is not the easiest. But like i said the do provide you with that protection. They are very difficult to run in. Can be had for 40 dollars.

Lizard skins: these are awesome. I love these things. There only down fall is they do not provide protection over the knee cap. These can be put on at 7am and taken off when the tournament is over. There easy to run and hit in.

Thanks, First post updated.

garzachi

Addicted to Softballfans
thank you kind sir

after having a batted ball whizzz by my face last year...i invested in several masks

23Snapper

Addicted to the Game...
I took two shots to my legs over the weekend...left some nasty bruises....

But I felt confident and safe wearing my mask....

If you pitch...Especially in tournaments...You absolutely NEED one...

picture.php

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
i took two shots to my legs over the weekend...left some nasty bruises....

But i felt confident and safe wearing my mask....

If you pitch...especially in tournaments...you absolutely need one...

picture.php

knuckle ball incoming!

garzachi

Addicted to Softballfans
y'all have a team photographer? LOL nice pic

i am going to start to wear on during league play also

bat technology + noooob with no bat control = people hurt

23Snapper

Addicted to the Game...
LOL...No team photographer bro...

But there was a Cat there selling professional type pics...Va Beach... Eastern Conference Regional Championship...

Good tourney...Beautiful park.. Princess Anne Park..

rx7_omaha

Outstanding Bad Dealer
Good info in here. I would rather get some crap for having the mask then take the shot without it.

anyone ahve any experience with those evoshield shin guards?

yes and they are good to go...be careful when you set them up for your shin as they form-fit to your leg,make real sure that is where you want to wear them on your leg before you let them set......

Anyone have any items that they use to practice their pitching on their own? I found http://www.eastonbaseball.com/pop-up-pitchers-zone-trainer.html which looks interesting. the box it comes in shows that you can set it at an angle as well as straight up and down. Wanted to add a section above about "training aides" other than a 5 gallon bucket.

i have built a pvc strike zone(6' by 24" wide) to pitch thru....i section it with bungee cords(as i didn't glue the pipes together,and the bungee cords keep it from coming apart also)......i don't have a net for it tho,need to look into that.....

ya have pics of said pitching who-ya?!?! sounds interesting

damn now ya gonna go make me find them,will do and post them......lucky it was still in photobucket....i run one bungee top to bottom in the middle,run 2 bungees at 1/3 and 2/3 's up going from side to side,so i have 6 quads to throw at.....it is 6' tall and 24" wide,with bottom rung at knee hi for me,approx 18" up.......

Picture198.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
damn now ya gonna go make me find them,will do and post them......lucky it was still in photobucket....i run one bungee top to bottom in the middle,run 2 bungees at 1/3 and 2/3 's up going from side to side,so i have 6 quads to throw at.....it is 6' tall and 24" wide,with bottom rung at knee hi for me,approx 18" up.......

Picture198.jpg
[/IMG]

Spiffy...!