Best areas to live in Houston?

HitnBombs28

Addicted to Softballfans
Just acepted a job in Houston, now I need a little info on the best areas to reside. I checked out the Heights and its cool and all but I need more trees and less concrete. Also looked at Spring and the Woodlands.

I currently live in the Stone Oak area of San Antonio and would like a similar type of area.

UHCoog1

Addicted to Softballfans
River Oaks, West University, Rice Military, The Heights, etc. There are lots of trees in the Heights. I live in Rice Military area and like it a lot, very close to all freeways, downtown, sporting venues, restaurants, etc.

Traffic sucks in Houston and its only getting worse, I would suggest staying out of the suburbs unless that is where you will be working.

txbullets

The OG JayZ
River Oaks, West University, Rice Military, The Heights, etc. There are lots of trees in the Heights. I live in Rice Military area and like it a lot, very close to all freeways, downtown, sporting venues, restaurants, etc.

Traffic sucks in Houston and its only getting worse, I would suggest staying out of the suburbs unless that is where you will be working.

Downtown is for some and not for others. Personally, I view it like living in the snow, fun to visit but no desire to make it a full time residence. Then again if I worked downtown it may be a different story. Also if I had a family there is no way I would want to live there. For the most part better schools in the suburbs.

UHCoog1

Addicted to Softballfans
Downtown is for some and not for others. Personally, I view it like living in the snow, fun to visit but no desire to make it a full time residence.

Fair enough. I work downtown and the commute just isn't worth it to me. I would rather pay more to be in prime location and not deal with commute.

If I worked where you do I probably would live in Clear Lake, Deer Park, Pearland etc.

txbullets

The OG JayZ
Dan is right especially if you want to live close to work. If you don't mind a moderate commute you may also check out the Woodlands, Humble, Sugarland and lastly Katy. Depending on hours you work some of these commutes would suck if at rush hour but may or may not be worth it depending on what you are looking for. There are several members that will chime in that live in Katy and swear by it. I personally have always lived on the opposite side of town so hard for me to say too much

JohnnyH

Addicted to Softballfans
Live as close as u can to your office since you mentioned 290. But clear lake is the spot if I could choose. Or the heights.

.800King50

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive lived in cypress forever its nice. I get to work (heights) early and leave early so no biggie on traffic. Jersey village is making a comeback also and is 2 miles from ur work.

SmokeDK42

Addicted to Softballfans
Bout to be making this same move myself...just accepted a job with a company based out of houston

chaser23405

LEFTY 3BAG
I work in that area, 290 and eldidge. I travel from Katy tho and it sucks! Look into spring, and cypress(north of 290 tho).

JakeStovall

The one and only!
If you're looking for less concrete and more trees, try Kingwood. I've lived out there for over a year and absolutely love it. Its called the liveable forest for a reason. Very quiet upper middle class neighborhoods, low crime and easy access to Beltway 8 or 59/downtown area. I get to 290/8 in about 25 minutes, so not too bad.

Mikaka

My Dixie Wrecked
so he doesn't want to live downtown (inside the loop), with all the single, young professionals (like me), who drive around in bmw's, benz's, and huge trucks because mommy/daddy paid for their school (not like me)? it does have it's perks, assuming you're single and want to pay out the ass for rent.

UHCoog1

Addicted to Softballfans
so he doesn't want to live downtown (inside the loop), with all the single, young professionals (like me), who drive around in bmw's, benz's, and huge trucks because mommy/daddy paid for their school (not like me)? it does have it's perks, assuming you're single and want to pay out the ass for rent.

Great post. Cost of living is definitely more expensive, just bought a house and for the same price I could have had a freaking 4000sq foot place in League City or Pearland.

But I am not married and work in the loop so may as well live where all the fun stuff to do is.

jbe_17

Star Player
Northeast side (Tarkington) is the place to be...for me anyway. Drive is kind of long but get you an EZ tag and you can be at work in 55 mins. The distance and the fuel sucks but having a couple acres for your kids to play is worth it for me. I've lived in a highrise condo near the Galleria and if you don't have kids its great down there. Close to everything. But no way would I raise a kid there.

UHCoog1

Addicted to Softballfans
Northeast side (Tarkington) is the place to be...for me anyway. Drive is kind of long but get you an EZ tag and you can be at work in 55 mins. The distance and the fuel sucks but having a couple acres for your kids to play is worth it for me. I've lived in a highrise condo near the Galleria and if you don't have kids its great down there. Close to everything. But no way would I raise a kid there.

Why wouldn't you raise a kid inside the loop?