Pitchers wear your mask at all times PLEASE

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Hopefully the new balls keep this from happening.

I for one can tell you that there a difference in the 52/300's compared to the 44/3765's and etc. I took a line drive to the shin with the 52/300's and of course there was a huge bruise and a lot of swelling, but I can say that if I had to take that same shot again I'd rather be hit by a 52/300 over any 44/375 and up any day. The 52/300's are overall safer, but bounce like a basket ball through the field. I can see where the 52/300's will cause more injuries to infielders other than the pitchers due to "bad hops" coming towards a player who is not expecting it or who has never encountered a bad hop with the 52/300's.

cpl40475

Coach
431397_3256375223310_646252207_n.jpg

Took that one early in the year ..

2012-08-159521-21-2595661.jpg

thigh about 5 minutes after

2012-08-179518-20-3095439.jpg

A week later

Last edited:

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Im all about safety, but I hope they never mandate screens. Definitely takes away from the game. I think they should require all pitchers to at the very least wear a mask. But also some sort of shin guard would be good to. When a pitcher makes a play on a line drive or a hard grounder to turn a double play, that in itself can fire a team up in a hurry!

cpl40475

Coach
Yeah that shiner...was %100 my stupidity. We was teaching a girl to hit and she had been fouling them off one right after another( I kept an extra ball in glove the whole time). So after getting her to listen to us and read the ball as I pitched it to her she finally starts hitting good. On one she hit it right back at me and I gloved it easily...it hit the other ball and out of glove it came and onto my noggin.

The leg one was just a flatout missile that I barely had time to jump away from.

cpl40475

Coach
its not a matter of how long you go with out getting hit, its a matter of when you get hit. It will happen nothing you can do unless you dont pitch. My eye was all on me, my leg was just a damned missile coming at me. Ive seen 1st and 3rd basemen get drill as bad. Seen shortstops and 2 basemen take one off of a bad hop that almost took them out also. You play the infield your at risk. Whether its from the ball or a baserunner.
Am I afraid to still pitch NO...am I more leary and make sure Im prepared for whats coming YES.

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
You guys shouldn't pitch if you're scared you have to have confidence jmo but y'all are ****ing gay

cpl40475

Coach
as you can tell by my eye and leg I dont believe in much protection either (same reason I have 3 kids :) ). I see the need for it and may get at least a shield for face. Not a fan of shin guards at all though.

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
Shin guards are easy and nobody can tell you're wearing them underneath pants. The evo writ guard is pretty nice too..

cpl40475

Coach
Just cant find ones that are comfortable and Ill wear shorts up until Dec here. Never thought of wrist guards until I seen it mentioned in another thread. Ill still probably not use anything other than a face shield. Ive been very lucky on the mound and Im sure others have also. Seeing the pics makes you sit back and think though.

teddersx6

Go Pack Go!!!!!!
worth pitchers mask
nutty buddy cup
Evo Shield Shin guard
Evo Shield wrist guard

That's all you'll need

.800King50

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes I pitch cp I'm just one of the crazy one I guess...

Ahh warpath!!! I feel like I'm biting on baited line here but I feel that you are being pretty disrespectful to the point of the thread(I can take it bud). Thread was started to help protect pitchers from my mistakes that's it. I don't frequent the open forum very often anymore so u may be joking and if so haha. Trust me board bro if you pitch enough you will be injured eventually. I may not agree with your posting but the thread was started to help you also

RobinMichaels

Addicted to Softballfans
My back up pitcher took a soft knuckle ball off of his chin a while back at the end of the season. That was the reason I finally got one. He sent around a picture of the day after. He still has no feeling on the top of his mouth and some of his sinus's. I have not grabbed any shin guards or wrist guards yet. I will hold off on those until later.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our 3rd baseman took a bad hop from a 44/375 to his face last night. Thank goodness he had his mask on.

The 52 is bouncier, but from what I've seen once you adjust it's easier to catch it on the hop. In my experience the 44 and especially the Classic M 40 have a tendency to hug the ground right until they get to you and then jump up.