walking the box question

Philthy

Banned User
I was called out by the ump this Saturday, he said what I did was illegal and to "save that **** for utrip".

quick23

As long as your in the box when the ball is pitched and you are in it when you hit the ball, you can do what every you want in the box... That ump is a DB.

Philthy

Banned User
As long as your in the box when the ball is pitched and you are in it when you hit the ball, you can do what every you want in the box... That ump is a DB.

Yeah he was a db, I stayed in the box, he was mad at how I walked the box. Is there a rule that you can't walk the box backwards?

quick23

Yeah he was a db, I stayed in the box, he was mad at how I walked the box. Is there a rule that you can't walk the box backwards?

I have some guys that drop step sometimes to hit backside, but wouldn't consider it walking the box...

Explain how you walk the box backwards.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
This is how I walk the box when I'm going for base hits!
tumblr_ly4ehobQNa1r6572po1_r1_500.gif

This is how I walk the box when hitting for power!
tumblr_m72x8trosD1ramty0o1_400.gif

spank044

Manager
I stepped over the plate and hit lefty mid pitch once in ASA and the umpire called it a fair hit because I never stepped outside either batter's box. So I can walk both boxes, it's kinda like a 3 way with plate.

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
I stepped over the plate and hit lefty mid pitch once in ASA and the umpire called it a fair hit because I never stepped outside either batter's box. So I can walk both boxes, it's kinda like a 3 way with plate.

if you crossed the plate then yes, you stepped outside the right handed batters box...IJS

spank044

Manager
if you crossed the plate then yes, you stepped outside the right handed batters box...IJS

But, neither foot touched ground outside the batter's box. I did it to be funny, after I hit the ball it landed just inside the line and the umpire called it fair so I took off running. I'm not saying it was a right call, just adding some more nonsense to the walking the box topic.

batboyssports

Part Time Player
Whats wrong with walking the box? I've seen guys hit alot of ways that I would not but that doesn't make
it stupid.I say whatever works for each person.This reminds me of the overlap grip thread from last week,its all
personal opinion.There was an episode on sports science about a year ago where they tested the walk up golf
swing from happy gilmore,it was confirmed that the walk up hits the ball further but a little less consistent.

Philthy

Banned User
This I would like to see....

I have some guys that drop step sometimes to hit backside, but wouldn't consider it walking the box...

Explain how you walk the box backwards.

I start in the very from corner of the box closest to the plate. If they try and pitch me short I'm in position, if they try and drop one in deep I slide backwards toe to heel until I regain my advantage. Basically like this.

1341857883_super_moonwalking.gif

Devil Dog

You like soup?
I start in the very from corner of the box closest to the plate. If they try and pitch me short I'm in position, if they try and drop one in deep I slide backwards toe to heel until I regain my advantage. Basically like this.

1341857883_super_moonwalking.gif
Rofl.......

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate you Mr. Walking the Box batter man! I have seen guys do it well & guys do it poorly. The guys that do it well... I don't like them cuz I can't do it I guess. I am a simple batter & need my feet in one place before I hit the ball. I have tried it & just like trying to switch hit, it messed up my regular batting. So I need to stay put. All of you guys who hit well when walking the box, you suck! But really... J/K. Not for everyone, but that ASA ump was not correct when he said it was illegal.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to walk the box a little depending on the pitch. pretty much stopped. Some of the hardest middle shots I have seen have come from dudes walking the box to shoot middle on purpose. Me at one point the only way i could ever get under the ball enough to give it lift was to walk the box.

tomdonohue1

Vandelay Industries
Walking the box backwards can put the catcher in danger on your swing. Stand in one place and hit. You aren't going to get as much power by moving your feet around anyway.

MBplayer

Canadian Bat *****
If it works for you do it. I have "walked the box" for many years and have been very successful doing it. But on the other hand I have seen some guys who try and do it that are really bad at it as well. But the same goes for guys who just stand and swing.

I started slo pitch right from hard ball and could not push the ball for the life of me. I started walking the box as a way to push the ball and just developed it into my everyday hitting style from there. I can push, pull and hit middle walking the box and I would probably not be able to switch back to just an open hitting stance again. Does walking the box give you more power? Who really knows I think its just what your comfortable with imo.

MB:cool:

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Walking the box is the new thing. I'm sure we'll start seeing conference players doing it in no time.

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I posted videos of me doing these before but when I need to hit a bomb I do my famous 720 degree windmill walk of the box, gaining momentum with each step and turn. Low OBP with this though. Then when I am pissed I guess you can call this a backwards walk, but I don't really move my feet. When the ball is pitched I swing way early and miss and then do a vicious back swing that catches the ass end of the ball and the ball drills the catcher in the forehead or throat. FYI - A riot usually incites immediately after this second technique of mine so be careful with it.