Rotator Cuff

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Was having a ton of pain so final dragged myself to the doc. Did x-ray and said it's definitely inflamed. Got a cortisone shot on Thursday and it still hurts am I screwed? Anybody got first hand experience of what's next?

Doc says my insurance won't pay for the MRI till after a couple of shots are done to see if it's torn. So I have to go back in 2 weeks.

turner033

Addicted to Softballfans
Can you push upward? When I tore mine I couldn't. Take it easy, give it a month or so. If you choose surgery it will never be the same, if you rehab it you keep your strength, but there will always be a dull pain there. Best of luck.

1four

Addicted to Softballfans
My FR year in college baseball, I got this and was fighting for a starting spot so I fought through it. A lot of ibuprofen and ice helped and it eventually went away. I am sure that wasn't the way to go for a doc but I made it. Rest would be your best bet. If you guys are playing still, I would EP for a while and not throw or play first if that works.

cpl40475

Coach
My cortisone shot hurt like immortal hell. shoulder was in bad pain for about 3 days after. rotator cuff damage is not fun at all and after surgery you will still have problems with it. I've had one done on rt shoulder and need another but will wait until its unbearable before I have 2nd one done.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
Never heard of an insurance company not paying for MRI until a few shots of cortizone. Maybe a round of Physical Therapy before MRI. I would not be getting another cortizone shot. It will deteriorate the rotator cuff and weaken it.

lmob29

swingn' hard just incase
Never heard of an insurance company not paying for MRI until a few shots of cortizone. Maybe a round of Physical Therapy before MRI. I would not be getting another cortizone shot. It will deteriorate the rotator cuff and weaken it.

he is on to something here!!!^^^^^i wouldn't get more than 1! if that didn't fix it there is something worse going on in there!! ijs

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Wont know the damage without the MRI,and I have hade the surgery and with good therapy it can be good as new just takes about a year for full recovery.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Had my 2nd one the week of Xmas and have been doing the stupid excercises. Thought it was good but after a BP session (100 balls) last Monday and 1 tournament (Saturday) my shoulder feels like crap all over again. I'm guessing I might have some issue if people are feeling good after cortisone shots and mine's not getting much better.

rommel51

VP of Jock Strap cleaning
i had 2 cortizone shots and fully recovered.

ok but what was wrong with it in the first place.

I had surgery on both. One I did therapy on it before surgery and recovered super fast. The other I didn't and I didn't recover as fast. both are torn again now. Lifting wrong and too heavy for years is what screwed it up. I play with a little pain here and there. I will fix them later in life i guess. Right now they dont stop me from doing much. I know one is torn cuz I had MRI on it. The other I can just tell it is. After 3 for tears I think Im pretty sure its torn.

EDIT: i had that shot and it sucked balls and was the worst pain I had. Still had surgery.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
ok but what was wrong with it in the first place.

I had surgery on both. One I did therapy on it before surgery and recovered super fast. The other I didn't and I didn't recover as fast. both are torn again now. Lifting wrong and too heavy for years is what screwed it up. I play with a little pain here and there. I will fix them later in life i guess. Right now they dont stop me from doing much. I know one is torn cuz I had MRI on it. The other I can just tell it is. After 3 for tears I think Im pretty sure its torn.

EDIT: i had that shot and it sucked balls and was the worst pain I had. Still had surgery.

How long are you out once you have the surgery?

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
I just was diagnosed with torn labrum as well as having a partial tear of the rotator cuff, as well as bone spur.. not once has my Dr suggested cortisone shot. Starting physical therapy next week to try and strengthen shoulder before any consideration of surgery. Dr said post surgery is 3-4 wks in a sling, followed by 3-4 months of p.t. and about a full yr before considering it to be "100%"

jem74

Addicted to Softballfans
also... I find it odd that your insurance won't pay!? I had an x ray then MRI and there was no issue

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
My insurance sucks ass. I went through 3 rounds of cortisone shots and had to wait an additional 2 weeks after all that to get approval for an MRI.

Got the results last week, the recommendation was full replacement of my shoulder. 2 full tears and I have a crack in the bone he said. Probably didn't help that I never stopped playing. I'm going for a second opinion today but the odd thing is my left shoulder has been acting up now.

second2noone

cortisone shots not good for you...yes get a 2nd opinion.

unless absolutely needed, woudln't get surgery. See if you can rehab and strengthen muscles around it.

I tore my rotator cuff and it was over for me.

Last edited:

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
If its the labrum, it's not all that much frigin' better... me: torn left labrum. Surgery followed by 6 months of P.T. Can still feel it occassionally but was told it might be due to the way they reattach it... by the way, you will have horrendous trouble sleeping for about the 1st month. Hope you like sleeping in an upright position from the waist up. You won't want to lay down because of the pain when you try to get up...made that mistake the hard way.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Well, got the 2nd opinion and it was worst than the first guy

Torn Labrum, Torn Rotator Cuff, Got a piece of bone missing in the socket.

I should be shot and put out to pasture. :(