Military Worlds/ Utrip Major World Series

Big Al#55

Photographer
I need to look up the dates of the USSSA convention. Most of us can't attend it but we can get a petition going to either have this event moved or the dates switched. As consumers, we have a lot more power than we think. We need to rally and stick together on this. The powers that be have two options, comply or we boycott. If they don't want to listen, let's shop from another candy store. This used to be the holy grail of military softball but I'm sad to say it but that time has come and gone. Softball is softball, the sanction doesn't really matter to most of us. If they don't do the right thing, there will be another event planned for the same weekend or close to it. The military will have options!!!!!

usmcluberti

Banned User
We should get GSL involved in Ohio...played in the mojo madness tourney in Columbus in March. 3 days, 125 teams, turf fields...was a great time and the sanction is fun

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
So what is everyone's plan? We're stuck here until Monday and bored as hell in Tyndall lodging.

Tyndall lodging? That is a long way from everything! Someone has to have info on the ladyballers! See if they want to hang out or one of these women's teams. This is really ****ty. On a side note, anyone know the process to trying out for all air force?

foote

Addicted to Softballfans
Tyndall lodging? That is a long way from everything! Someone has to have info on the ladyballers! See if they want to hang out or one of these women's teams. This is really ****ty. On a side note, anyone know the process to trying out for all air force?

In order to have a chance at being selected to attend camp, you just need to submit an AF Form 303. You will also need a reference or two to list on the 303.

jeffscheel

WhatCutoffMan
I heard the weather did not cooperate, is this the first time the tournament was over before it started? Did they mention anything about moving the tournament somewhere else next year? If they don't, I am fairly certain they will see a decline in interest and participation in the program.....which sucks!

PONY

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure if this is the first time the tournament was cancelled, but I must say that the bashing of Jeff Miller & the USSSA staff was a bit unfair. Noone would've wanted to be in Jeff's shoes this weekend. It was just tough luck for all of us. I didn't even realize that it was the USSSA Staff that arranged and paid for the player's socials every night just to give the teams something to do. That's never happened before, we usually only have one player's social.

Everybody lost money and everyone was disappointed that we couldn't play. Everybody is certainly entitled to his/her own opinion, but it was a bit disturbing to hear this guy being ripped to shreds by our military family over something he really had no control over.

I don't know how USSSA plans to make this right with all of the teams, but I'm sure they'll do something. What happened to all of the jackets, trophies, shirts, etc. that were already paid for and can't be re-used?

I heard the weather did not cooperate, is this the first time the tournament was over before it started? Did they mention anything about moving the tournament somewhere else next year? If they don't, I am fairly certain they will see a decline in interest and participation in the program.....which sucks!

PONY

Addicted to Softballfans
Me too buddy...me too! You guys derserve the berth and I know you guys will represent us well. This may be the first time in 15 years that I've rooted for G.I.....ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!! Good luck my friend! :D

Thank you my friend. I really wish we could of played this past weekend.

softballfan123

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure if this is the first time the tournament was cancelled, but I must say that the bashing of Jeff Miller & the USSSA staff was a bit unfair. Noone would've wanted to be in Jeff's shoes this weekend. It was just tough luck for all of us. I didn't even realize that it was the USSSA Staff that arranged and paid for the player's socials every night just to give the teams something to do. That's never happened before, we usually only have one player's social.

Everybody lost money and everyone was disappointed that we couldn't play. Everybody is certainly entitled to his/her own opinion, but it was a bit disturbing to hear this guy being ripped to shreds by our military family over something he really had no control over.

I don't know how USSSA plans to make this right with all of the teams, but I'm sure they'll do something. What happened to all of the jackets, trophies, shirts, etc. that were already paid for and can't be re-used?

Not sure who bashed Jeff this weekend, but his antics before the worlds and his attitude towards teams and players need to be address. USSSA Staff may have lost some money considering the prizes package and other expenses but it's not as much as some would like to think it is. With the $9k in Coed and Over 40 entry fee plus sales from what little they sold they may be $1-4k in the hold.

All the issues rasied before the tourney should not be washed away just because the tournament was rained out because it will bubble back to the top next year and the following year.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure who bashed Jeff this weekend, but his antics before the worlds and his attitude towards teams and players need to be address. USSSA Staff may have lost some money considering the prizes package and other expenses but it's not as much as some would like to think it is. With the $9k in Coed and Over 40 entry fee plus sales from what little they sold they may be $1-4k in the hold.

All the issues rasied before the tourney should not be washed away just because the tournament was rained out because it will bubble back to the top next year and the following year.

My only complaint on the weekend is that I was not receiving the updates as everyone else was. I got some, didn't get others. Staying 45 minutes away, timeliness sort of matters.

I don't know if they're out money or not, but even IF they are, it doesn't scratch the surface of the amout we're all out. I will say though that their time is worth something. Jeff Miller still worked, even though we didn't get to play. Sucks for the umpires too who were probably expecting some decent pay that didn't happen.

Just a sucky situation no matter how you look at it and no real fingers to blame about weather. I do know we won't be back to that location though. Our first team ever from here and hearing that rain has been a problem most of the time there, we won't risk our time and money going back. We'll find another event and or wait until it's moved. Granted this "could" happen anywhere, but the track record there sounds bad.

Big Al#55

Photographer
BREAKING NEWS: if you or your team is interested, we need you to let Larry know asap. Freedom is a great new sanction that runs great events and gives away great prizes. Myrtle beach has turf fields and is family friendly. We asked for it, now here's our chance to get it!!!!

Freedom Military Worlds......Who is interested????

I am looking into getting a date for 2014 in Myrtle Beach, SC on July 4th Weekend to host our Freedom Military Worlds. We are looking for feedback and teams that would be interested in participating in this event. If this sounds like something that your team would come to, please leave us feedback and/or contact us. We have been approached by several teams to get this off the ground so your feedback is greatly appreciated and much needed.

Thanks again

Larry Usilton
Freedom State Director Carolina's
910-538-4743
[email protected]

www.CarolinaFSA.com

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
My only complaint on the weekend is that I was not receiving the updates as everyone else was. I got some, didn't get others. Staying 45 minutes away, timeliness sort of matters.

I was in PCB on my honeymoon last week and left Saturday morning and I run into a couple guys that was suppose to play in the tourney and they were saying the same thing about not getting any updates on the tourney either. A tourney like that should really have someone giving teams/coaches updates as soon as they hear something from directors but that's just my opinion from an outsiders perspective.

Sucks they didn't get the tourney in btw. It rained just about every day I was there last week :mad:

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't know that they did player socials every nice. We went to Sharkys on Friday. What else was going on? I know I spent some time at the beach when I could have been playing ball. They should have had a contingency plan for if the rain came. I mean, it was in the forecast. I think I saw thunder and lightening once while I was out there. I still can't understand why the rain alone would stop it. No tarps or people getting the puddles off of the field!

NCFREEDOMSPORTS

Addicted to Softballfans

I am looking into getting a date for 2014 in Myrtle Beach, SC on July 4th Weekend to host our Freedom Military Worlds. We are looking for feedback and teams that would be interested in participating in this event. If this sounds like something that your team would come to, please leave us feedback and/or contact us. We have been approached by several teams to get this off the ground so your feedback is greatly appreciated and much needed.

Thanks again

Larry Usilton
910-538-4743
[email protected]

www.CarolinaFSA.com

JBsoftball4

Softball Gigolos
I have to laugh at most of these responses. You guys make it sound like it is so easy to run a tournament and control the weather. Yes, there were periods this weekend when the rains stopped, but did any of you go out and actually take a look at the fields. It wouldn't have been as easy to just push the water off of them and then play ball. Plus after Thursday, it never really stopped long enough to even get that accomplished. Then what, would you expect the directors to have ALL teams just waiting at the fields all day just in case they got the field playable for 30 minutes. It rained, it happens. You guys are telling me that a local tournament to you has never been rained out?

As for changing locations, I do not diagree with these statements. The question then becomes where to change it to. Yes Texas and Vegas are both great options for getting it in without rain, but did any of you look at the temperature in those two locations this weekend? It was 105-108 in Vegas all weekend. Lots of people would have gotten hurt in those temperatures. I didn't look at Texas, but I can almost bet it was pretty close to triple digits there as well. Other locations would be great as well but don't have major airports close so it would cost traveling teams even more (i.e. Myrtle Beach, Columbus, GA). My recommendation for location changes would be Sterling, MI or Kansas City. I have attended USSSA Worlds in both of these locations in the past and they are both great complexes and have plenty to do around them. Now these might not be the most family friendly locations, but they are good complexes. Disney is really the best option. Cheap flights and plenty for families. Plus, they might get rain but nothing compared to PCB.

As for the updates, I agree that those were spotty but whomever is listed as your coach should have been getting all emails sent out by the Director. You should have also been getting text messages if they had your current cell phone number.

I am not trying to defend the Directors or USSSA I am just tired of hearing people complain when there was nothing that could be done. Every tournament you travel to you risk something like this happening. Does it suck, hell yeah, is it controllable, not really.

bdunn12

Addicted to Softballfans
Triple digits temps and playing is better than 75 degrees, rain and no softball. Plus PCB is not a major airport so it is very expensive for the west coast teams to fly to PCB! Regardless, locations should be changed every couple of years anyway.

Hoodles25

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA and PCB has one more year on the contract for Military ball in PCB. They will be discussing a new place for 2015 but all depends on who bids for it.

Hoodles25

Addicted to Softballfans
Let me change my last statement. I don't know if it is a contract but I do know that PCB has the bid for 2014 Worlds.

Big Al#55

Photographer
Columbus, GA is a short ride from Atlanta. This forum is good. Hopefully USSSA does the right thing and makes some changes. I agree, Disney is a good spot. It was there for a few years.

bdunn12

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe USSSA should listen to their customers and change the location, even if its Orlando again. I know for a fact that if next years worlds has a chance of rain at PCB, I will not be going and I don't think I'm alone in that one.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
As for the updates, I agree that those were spotty but whomever is listed as your coach should have been getting all emails sent out by the Director. You should have also been getting text messages if they had your current cell phone number.

I am not trying to defend the Directors or USSSA I am just tired of hearing people complain when there was nothing that could be done. Every tournament you travel to you risk something like this happening. Does it suck, hell yeah, is it controllable, not really.

I am listed as the coach and I triple checked my info on my profile/registration......email and numbers up to date. I received LOTS of emails from USSSA this weekend, but I did not get ALL of the emails regarding this tournament. Also, we knew of ONE social at Sharky's, but not of multiple. Didn't matter as we stayed at Tyndall so probably weren't making that trek for a couple of free beers, but just another "update" we didn't receive.

Can't control weather, but you can control decisions based on probablility when using factors such as historical data. PCB = RAIN in August apparently. Sounds like just about every year is impacted by it with negative outcomes....shortened, format change, cancelled, etc. Based on that data, if USSSA decides to keep it at PCB, our team will decide not to attend. Hopefully others will make the same decision and force USSSA to make BETTER decisions on location.

We dropped over $10k on this weekend and wasted 5 days away from families, jobs, etc. I am positive other teams spent even more than that (while acknowledging some spent less).

Anyone hear what their FINAL word is? He said something about that being released today.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
Columbus, GA is a short ride from Atlanta. This forum is good. Hopefully USSSA does the right thing and makes some changes. I agree, Disney is a good spot. It was there for a few years.

We wouldn't have played in Columbus, GA last weekend either. They had a world tournament called off on Thursday last week b/c of the rain they already had and the rain they were expecting.

BTW, you should have your bat tomorrow or Friday. My wife shipped it yesterday when she was out and about.

Drew Freedom

Starting Player
My team would be interested Larry.
JCSE

Thanks again

Larry Usilton
910-538-4743
[email protected]

www.CarolinaFSA.com

B-Link #99

Retired Damage Controlman
As for changing locations, I do not diagree with these statements. The question then becomes where to change it to. Yes Texas and Vegas are both great options for getting it in without rain, but did any of you look at the temperature in those two locations this weekend? It was 105-108 in Vegas all weekend. Lots of people would have gotten hurt in those temperatures. .

How would they get hurt in this tempature? We west coaster's play in this weather all the time with no injuries.

wouldn't be any different than us going to east coast and playing in the humidity when were not used to it..I see more people at worlds with cramps or heat exhaustion then I have in Vegas or Texas..

T8S

Addicted to Softballfans
They really should see if they can get the Sportsplex in Aurora, CO

12 Fields, 300-320ft fences. Easy to get to by flying into Denver. Lots of hotels in the area and weather in the mid 80's to 90's that time of the year.

T8S

Addicted to Softballfans
They really should see if they can get the Sportsplex in Aurora, CO

12 Fields, 300-320ft fences. Easy to get to by flying into Denver. Lots of hotels in the area and weather in the mid 80's to 90's that time of the year.