mlb free agency

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
The Orioles trade request for Shelby Miller for J.J. Hardy was shot down by the Cardinals. A 31 year old shortstop with one year of control left won't land a potential ace that makes the major league min. The Cardinals have several pitchers that would be upgrades to that staff. The Orioles continue to overvalue their players in trade talks. They'll hold onto Hardy until he's a free agent and only get a draft pick out of him.

They'll probably counter with a trade offer of Roberts for the two Cardinals' relievers that throw 100.

BB15

Ape Raids
Walker + more, I'm sure. My first thought was, they just got rid of an injury prone CF

I doubt highly they would deal Walker in any deal for Kemp. I was thinking more along the lines of Seager, Paxton +. Kemp is on a different planet than Gutierrez.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
why would they trade top prospects for Kemp when they can just sign Ellsbury and give up nothing except money?

BB15

Ape Raids
why would they trade top prospects for Kemp when they can just sign Ellsbury and give up nothing except money?

That could very well be the plan, but that would require Ellsbury choosing to come to Seattle. Unless they just make an obscene offer, that isn't likely to happen.

trip

stfu
i've made myself out to look stupid too many times with smoak. unless he sends me wife nudes, i'm done with him.

BB15

Ape Raids
i've made myself out to look stupid too many times with smoak. unless he sends me wife nudes, i'm done with him.

But he was just flat out better than Morneau in 2013. Why would you prefer a lesser, older player?

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Why would you prefer either of them unless you had to?

Kemp is a big question mark. Are you feeling lucky?

BB15

Ape Raids
Why would you prefer either of them unless you had to?

Kemp is a big question mark. Are you feeling lucky?

Smoak is passable, could still get better and is already here. I am not opposed to the M's upgrading 1B so long as it's an upgrade.

Kemp to Seattle is a long shot.

stork

Ellsbury would be @ 20M cheaper and one less year and would definitely enjoy playing in Seattle more than Kemp. Sure he has injury ? marks, but the upside is there. If they are going to spend, that is where they should spend imo.

BB15

Ape Raids
Ellsbury would be @ 20M cheaper and one less year and would definitely enjoy playing in Seattle more than Kemp. Sure he has injury ? marks, but the upside is there. If they are going to spend, that is where they should spend imo.

I don't disagree, although when healthy Kemp is a goddamn monster.

phuncky

Be good or be good at it!

yes he is. I would rather the dodgers move Crawford and get younger in left field if kemp can stay healthy. but then the dodgers would need a lead off hitter. can see them getting rid of Uribe though.

trip

stfu
now that mclendon is the manager maybe we can get a black dude on the team. i think carl everett was the last one. maybe milton bradley. mike wilson doesn't count.

stork

And I agree with this. ;)

Kemp will be a gamble either way. Could pay off big or could set club back. Hell, any big signing can for that matter. These huge guaranteed contracts are just crazy. But it's ok as long as the public still will pay $8 for a beer and $6 for a hot dog.

Rdd/Easton 10

The Veteran
ellsbury's injuries have really not been his fault. he ran into people or something didn't he?

it's not like he tore an acl running to first base. i don't feel his health is a real issue. if he signs with the mets though, it will be.

ortiz is good in fenway. they pay him to hit in fenway with the wall and 300 foot pole in RF. he wouldn't make what he does playing 81 games at some other park.

Of course he would...he hit 30 bombs this year at an average of 406 feet. He would smash the ball wherever he goes.

and 18 of his hr's were away from Fenway.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
I find that hard to believe. Boras usually drags it out and squeezes every last possible dollar.