Why don't you call them on it?

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
As an umpire in Southern California I have had suspicions about many bats that come across my field. Throwing out a bat for being altered is not something I can prove on the field. The most I have done is taken bats out of play for being cracked, wrong end cap, or for lack of appropriate association stamp(s).

Many of the players, that play with so many different teams, know more about each others bats than I ever would. Why do they not call each other on it? This is just a simple question with no easy answer. Even I have played with and against guys whom I knew to have cut their bats and said nothing.

I know why they cut bats. Excuses like- Gets the ball through the infield faster, Only when I need a homerun, or Everyone else has shaved bats..

So, again, why do we just let this continue?

I know this will get flamed on but maybe there will be some real answers as well. :biggthumpup:

BTW- Women are the worst when it comes to shaved bats

muskaaron

Manufactured To Hit Bombs
Personally, for the people that i do know have a shaved bat or two in the dugout, i walk up to them before the game and say if i see that bat come out i will protest it...so keep it locked up. Who knows though, they could have more than i know about but it makes me feel better knowing that they know i know. As for this Brent ***** around town that only swings shaved bats...no one cares because he still cant hit a homerun and he gets punked out regularly. So we laugh and allow it.

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
For me, I don't care anymore and rarely even think about it nowadays if someone has a shaved bat. Whether we like it or not, it has become part of the game. Yes I've used them, yes I've owned one, I don't own one now and haven't swung one in about a year. But it doesn't bother me if someone I'm playing against or for is using one.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
kills me when a guy hits a bomb and says how far it went with his cut bat. i simply laugh at him and say swing clean. they usually reply about it would not have mattered the ball was way gone. reply to that is we will never know, swing clean

SUCKA FREE

thaynes

kills me when a guy hits a bomb and says how far it went with his cut bat. i simply laugh at him and say swing clean. they usually reply about it would not have mattered the ball was way gone. reply to that is we will never know, swing clean

SUCKA FREE

Yea heard that one before. By my own team mate. He's a putz though and the reason I don't play with them any more

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
hopefully, with all these good hot from the wrapper bats coming out this will die out but who am i kidding

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
It's really hard to know a bat is cut, some pre-abi bats got ridiculous coming down the home stretch, I've never called someone out for a cut bat cause I simply don't know. It used to be fairly common for guys to try swinging Utrip sticks in the local ASA leagues and blues have never taken the initiative. I just tell the batter I'm not pitching until he gets an approved bat, I've casually stood on home plate while catching and politely said you need an ASA bat for this league, but I've also called them out from 1st and play continued after a few confused looks.

I don't know how much of a stickler I'll be in the future now that we hit 52's and the performance gap between associations is closer. probably depend on the d-bag in the box

Hit N Run

No Manches
For me, I don't care anymore and rarely even think about it nowadays if someone has a shaved bat. Whether we like it or not, it has become part of the game. Yes I've used them, yes I've owned one, I don't own one now and haven't swung one in about a year. But it doesn't bother me if someone I'm playing against or for is using one.

Until he hurts your picther with his shaved piece of ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarHorse

Star Player
The only time I call out shaved bats is when my team loses.

Me too. Especially when my team's shaved bats don't perform. I also blame our shaver, the local McDonalds, and the ump.

But for real though I see a lot of this, to the point where last season I'd offered to let the other team use my bats so they'd stfu.

As for calling people out on it, it's not really easy to do, unless some scrawny kid comes up and lightly taps a bomb that sounds like a shotgun off his bat. Then you raise a few eyebrows. Even more suspicious when a losing team suddenly all starting the same bat, you know, the bat they didn't touch all game until the last three innings.

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
Me too. Especially when my team's shaved bats don't perform. I also blame our shaver, the local McDonalds, and the ump.

But for real though I see a lot of this, to the point where last season I'd offered to let the other team use my bats so they'd stfu.

As for calling people out on it, it's not really easy to do, unless some scrawny kid comes up and lightly taps a bomb that sounds like a shotgun off his bat. Then you raise a few eyebrows. Even more suspicious when a losing team suddenly all starting the same bat, you know, the bat they didn't touch all game until the last three innings.

Actually it is pretty easy to do. Your pitcher calls time and you formally protest the game and follow your league rules on how to have the bat sent for testing.

thaynes

that flex was just ridiculous. Next time tell them the entire team shouldn't swing it

Ay chief that thing was fire. And stock. Like you said the entire team pretty much used it. My old county team though had a guy who hit a h with a shaved bat and the pitcher called him on it. He said it would've gone out with a wood bat. I just rolled my eyes. Could be the best player I've ever seen but he don't want to listen to any body. Got a massive head

chedched

Coach
We played a team last year that had a shaved demarini steel. It was insane. Every person on the team used it. It was like watching a homerun derby from first.

I'm pretty sure ASA rules State either team can use any bat in play...

WarHorse

Star Player
We played a team last year that had a shaved demarini steel. It was insane. Every person on the team used it. It was like watching a homerun derby from first.

And this team was banned from play shortly after, right?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
As an umpire in Southern California I have had suspicions about many bats that come across my field. Throwing out a bat for being altered is not something I can prove on the field. The most I have done is taken bats out of play for being cracked, wrong end cap, or for lack of appropriate association stamp(s).

Many of the players, that play with so many different teams, know more about each others bats than I ever would. Why do they not call each other on it? This is just a simple question with no easy answer. Even I have played with and against guys whom I knew to have cut their bats and said nothing.

I know why they cut bats. Excuses like- Gets the ball through the infield faster, Only when I need a homerun, or Everyone else has shaved bats..

So, again, why do we just let this continue?

I know this will get flamed on but maybe there will be some real answers as well. :biggthumpup:

BTW- Women are the worst when it comes to shaved bats

I think woman should be forced to swing shaved to make it more exciting.....last time I played coed most of the girls were lucky to get it out of the infield

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans

If you mean, what i think you mean, im pretty sure you are wrong.

I'm glad a lot of your leagues have this "send in for testing" policy. That must get interesting.

None of that stuff around here. Swing away.

Josh916

Addicted to Softballfans
I have never understood the you can swing my sticks anytime line that gets thrown out there. I mean what does it prove? If it's cut then somebody else swings it they are swinging a cut stick too. Doesn't prove it's not by letting others swing it. I will say that just putting a cut bat in people's hand doesn't make them a power hitter or better hitter. You still have to know how to hit a softball. I have seen plenty of people use cut sticks and still not be able to do anything with them.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I will almost always call out a non-stamped bat or one that has been banned. We're adults, we know what association we play, we should know the equipment we can use. As for calling out a shaved stick, I've never done it. I know I've faced cut sticks, but again, the proof is prit near impossible.

What I'm confused about though is why people make it seem that cut sticks are really THAT crazy. I've never swung one, so maybe I'm just ignorant on the whole subject. But some of what I read makes it sound like you're adding 100+ feet on the ball and ANYONE can now hit bombs. Well, last I knew, you still needed a decent swing with bat speed to hit the ball well.

66FLH

Addicted to Softballfans
If some of these clowns would pick up a weight once in a while they wouldnt need dirty bats to make up for their lack of masculinity..

Last edited:

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Actually it is pretty easy to do. Your pitcher calls time and you formally protest the game and follow your league rules on how to have the bat sent for testing.

Its not that easy, a lot of places don't have a formal protest that allows bats to be sent in for testing. Around here in league and tournaments there is no way to protest a bat. We just get used to everyone swinging them and pitchers are crazy for not wearing a mask.

chedched

Coach
And this team was banned from play shortly after, right?

Our manager is the manager of the shop that sponsors us. The team we were playing did all their service work with him. He didn't want to ruffle feathers so we let it go. Even guys who weighed 150 ish were putting them out with ease.

I don't know if it is ASA or local rule but I know we can swing a bat of the opposing team's if they use it in play. No one ever does it because you don't want to be "that guy".