How do the pros do it?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I switched to baseball pants quite a few years ago, but when I play and its real hot I do wear shorts. I don't slide but fall down a lot, lol. I do wear a pair of high Sox baseball pants, they are a good option she. Need a bigger pair now can't wedge my fat ass in mine anymore :eek:

jhitman

Ok so I know that they are pro's etc etc but how do guys like Crine, Izzy, Helmer consistantly crush the ball? It is technique? The fact that they are huge? Or all of it combined?

Natural ability, practice, technique and a lot of hard work, plus the LHB tour they are using 600 compression softballs.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
10269163_10152390858794268_3782358271175751364_o.jpg

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I switched to baseball pants quite a few years ago, but when I play and its real hot I do wear shorts. I don't slide but fall down a lot, lol. I do wear a pair of high Sox baseball pants, they are a good option she. Need a bigger pair now can't wedge my fat ass in mine anymore :eek:

Wrong thread maybe?....yeah, that's probably it....

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Amen and lot's of practice....I heard some figure like hitting 150-200 balls a week at a minimum

150-200 a week?? Denny normally is hitting 400-500 each BP session, like 2-3 times a week if I remember correctly. Doesn't hurt that he is 6'7" 320lbs either!

Yup. To echo the sediment once again; practice, mechanics, and some natural ability.

And by practice we mean PRACTICE. Remember, softball is their job. They can afford to hit the ball 1000+ times a week. That's what they get paid to do. If any one of you got paid to do what they do you would be substantially better as well. That's not to take away from what they do. But for us who have a job that is not related to swinging the stick 1000+ times a week, it's impossible to get that volume of practice in.

And anyways the hitting isn't what impresses me at all. Once you can hit the 15mph 12" yellow ball past the fence, who the hell cares how much farther it goes. What impresses me with some of these guys (mainly the infield) is their fielding ability. Honestly, with the depth of the bases and the velocity of the ball, you have to react quicker than a Major Leaguer. Some of the snags they make are insane. 100% credit to them for being able to do that. That's pretty much unteachable, you either got it or you don't. The outfielders are not so much impressive.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Yup. To echo the sediment once again; practice, mechanics, and some natural ability.

And by practice we mean PRACTICE. Remember, softball is their job. They can afford to hit the ball 1000+ times a week. That's what they get paid to do. If any one of you got paid to do what they do you would be substantially better as well. That's not to take away from what they do. But for us who have a job that is not related to swinging the stick 1000+ times a week, it's impossible to get that volume of practice in.

And anyways the hitting isn't what impresses me at all. Once you can hit the 15mph 12" yellow ball past the fence, who the hell cares how much farther it goes. What impresses me with some of these guys (mainly the infield) is their fielding ability. Honestly, with the depth of the bases and the velocity of the ball, you have to react quicker than a Major Leaguer. Some of the snags they make are insane. 100% credit to them for being able to do that. That's pretty much unteachable, you either got it or you don't. The outfielders are not so much impressive.

Many guys have full time jobs so not like all they do it play softball. They make time to hit. They never want to stop hitting....

Example: Denny has a FULL TIME job that does not involve swinging a bat. So, make time to hit and stop making excuses.

150-200 a week?? Denny normally is hitting 400-500 each BP session, like 2-3 times a week if I remember correctly. Doesn't hurt that he is 6'7" 320lbs either!

Many guys have full time jobs so not like all they do it play softball. They make time to hit. They never want to stop hitting....

Example: Denny has a FULL TIME job that does not involve swinging a bat. So, make time to hit and stop making excuses.

A full time job and 1500+ swings a week? That truly is dedication. I definately would not be able to do that. If it was my career I'd take 1500+ swings a week. If I had another job and softball was a hobby it would be overkill. I commend anyone who has that much dedication, but for us casual players that's just too damn much.

jhitman

The two guys I would recommend watching and learning from would be Greg Connell and Robert Blackburn.

I agree and I watch their BP sessions and try to pick up any tips I can. Size doesn't hurt, but their timing, technique is what I watch for. I think anyone can learn the proper techniques to hit a softball with power and consistency no matter what their size.

chinny12

Gettin' Zapped!
In league, I play against a guy that plays on Resmondo and he effortlessly drops bombs. Practice, practice, practice is key

It is sick what he can do. I was there when he tested his Duo. It was no hotter than any of my bats and he hit it 3/4 up the trees on his first swing. Just silly.

Robo_16

Addicted to Softballfans
Buggs, Evil BP Rockets are working out great for the team. We hit them every weekend before our games. They give us a true feel for how we are hitting the ball and do not destroy our bats. We've broken 1/5 of the bats in BP than we usually do. They are great. Thanks buddy.

P.S. Diddy and I love the hats. Very classy look and wear well.

Thank you