How do the pros do it?

twntywunz

34/30 club member 2121
Ok so I know that they are pro's etc etc but how do guys like Crine, Izzy, Helmer consistantly crush the ball? It is technique? The fact that they are huge? Or all of it combined?

They don't stay on message boards all day arguing over why you can and can't post something. They are in the gym and working in bp

MFCEO

Star Player
They are pros for a reason. If there was 1 or 2 things that made them pros, then everyone would be doing it. :cool:

Also everyone talks about hitting, but 95% of these guys can play the field very well.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Yup. To echo the sediment once again; practice, mechanics, and some natural ability.

And by practice we mean PRACTICE. Remember, softball is their job. They can afford to hit the ball 1000+ times a week. That's what they get paid to do. If any one of you got paid to do what they do you would be substantially better as well. That's not to take away from what they do. But for us who have a job that is not related to swinging the stick 1000+ times a week, it's impossible to get that volume of practice in.

And anyways the hitting isn't what impresses me at all. Once you can hit the 15mph 12" yellow ball past the fence, who the hell cares how much farther it goes. What impresses me with some of these guys (mainly the infield) is their fielding ability. Honestly, with the depth of the bases and the velocity of the ball, you have to react quicker than a Major Leaguer. Some of the snags they make are insane. 100% credit to them for being able to do that. That's pretty much unteachable, you either got it or you don't. The outfielders are not so much impressive.

They don't just hit it out, they can pretty much hit anywhere they want...including lasers that make the poop peek out...you can't be a pro without an all around game... The fact they can hit 500 ft is just a bonus...

There are a lot of people i see that 1000+ cuts a week won't help as much as a better understanding of hitting mechanics and muscle memory...

TRaj2327

Many of the guys aren't the monsters that you think they all are as far as height goes but they all built to play the game at the highest level they possibly can. I was out at the Joliet Major last week and it's not team after team of 6'4" guys like you might think. At 6' I was actually surprised how many of them I was taller than.

jhitman

When watching them in the USA vs. Canada Border Battle games I was impressed at how well they run for big guys. Their fielding was pretty impressive as well. Wegman has a cannon of an arm.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
1534961_10152445069609268_3758435849380059676_o.jpg

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Amen and lot's of practice....I heard some figure like hitting 150-200 balls a week at a minimum

The guys i've talked to here at the Windy City Major have said anywhere from 1000-1500 or even more per week, with situational, line to line, gap to gap, hole to hole, and taters all being part of each BP. Not to mention they actually work on defensive mechanics as much as offensive.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Scott Kirby always shocks me with his power for his size.

He hit the farthest and hardest balls out of anyone at the Windy City last week, he's unreal, just so fun to watch. He's not small at all though, he reminds me of Bryce Harper, real athletic, but not bulky.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Many of the guys aren't the monsters that you think they all are as far as height goes but they all built to play the game at the highest level they possibly can. I was out at the Joliet Major last week and it's not team after team of 6'4" guys like you might think. At 6' I was actually surprised how many of them I was taller than.

Yeah but Izzy's quad probably weighs more than you. :biggthumpup:

huzzdog

retired
i like scott kirby. quiet.. doesn't say much. get's it done. he hit one at me in indiana a couple years ago on the mound..wicked liner.. i caught it and it broke my glove. he got to first and said you aren't supposed to catch that.. i just said i didn't ****er you broke my glove how about an new easton glove?

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
i like scott kirby. quiet.. doesn't say much. get's it done. he hit one at me in indiana a couple years ago on the mound..wicked liner.. i caught it and it broke my glove. he got to first and said you aren't supposed to catch that.. i just said i didn't ****er you broke my glove how about an new easton glove?

You, sir, deserve a medal for stepping in front of that.

:bigok:

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
Larsen is a monster. Im guessing 6'2"+ and 285lbs+... He does make it look super easy.

No he is not that big. 6' 270 I would guess. Just got fast hands which always make it look easy.

Last edited:

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Did anybody vote fast twitch muscle fibers and white brain matter? I vote fast twitch muscles and white brain matter.

And hand-eye coordination.

And practice.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
5 of us were out hitting BP yesterday and I threw in a dozen HR derby balls for the end of the round fireworks. Farthest balls hit were maybe 350-360. That next 100 feet to get to LHB distance is ridiculous; it takes a combo of great mechanics and superior strength to hit the ball as far as they do... and they absolutely make it look easy.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
No he is not that big. 6' 270 I would guess. Just got fast hands which always make it look easy.

LMFAO Even if he is only 6' 270lbs thats still a beast.... hahaha Not like he is 5'5" 165lbs and doing what he does. Larsen does make it look easy. Thats what happenes when you have incredable ability and put in the amount of work that he does.

NoNameJames

Star Player
LMFAO Even if he is only 6' 270lbs thats still a beast.... hahaha Not like he is 5'5" 165lbs and doing what he does. Larsen does make it look easy. Thats what happenes when you have incredable ability and put in the amount of work that he does.

Yea I'm 6' 220 so if I was another 50 pounds and played as much as he does, that would be dangerous.

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
Well he did switch from Big Mac to Chicken salad a while back. He has looked leanerish the last few times I saw him.

Bubaloo

Manager
How do they do it? 650 compression balls and these guys aren't 160 pounds.

We just recently picked up some launch 650s and have very very broken in u trip salvo and L5. We were hitting bp 375-400 on a feild that is dead flat. Google earth says the fence is 375 in the back soccer feild and we cleared a few times bu a good 20. As impressive as these guys are, when u hit balls that hard, and way 250 Plus pounds it's really not that difficult. Me I'm 210 and hit one 400 with that launch 650. So if these guys are hitting 400 plus and weigh 270 u can see how it happends.

Now if they pull out a hot dot, and grab a L8 and smoke it 400 I'll be impressed.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
How do they do it? 650 compression balls and these guys aren't 160 pounds.

We just recently picked up some launch 650s and have very very broken in u trip salvo and L5. We were hitting bp 375-400 on a feild that is dead flat. Google earth says the fence is 375 in the back soccer feild and we cleared a few times bu a good 20. As impressive as these guys are, when u hit balls that hard, and way 250 Plus pounds it's really not that difficult. Me I'm 210 and hit one 400 with that launch 650. So if these guys are hitting 400 plus and weigh 270 u can see how it happends.

Now if they pull out a hot dot, and grab a L8 and smoke it 400 I'll be impressed.

Lemme guess. You think they all have "player model" bats too, right?

Bubaloo

Manager
Lemme guess. You think they all have "player model" bats too, right?

have you hit a launch 650 with a broken in u trip? holy sh#t is all I have to say. its retarted how far it goes. after hitting hot dots the last few years to hitting these over the weekend its little wonder they hit over 400.
I didn't even swing and hit 370 first one.