Should I buy a used composite psycho

daveccarsley

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I am a coach/player of a softball (slow pitch) team in Michigan. Our season has about a month left on it. We are a first year team of young guys who seem to all have 25 or 30 dollar "hammers" and so on. Yesterday we had a guy sub for us, and he brought a Miken Psycho. Now I had seen the other teams that hit all the bombs have these bats, but to hit with it, and feel it in my hands, as well as seeing my players hit bombs who normally cant make it past the shallow outfield, I WANT ONE. I went to Dunhams today, as well as ****'s Sporting goods, and had no luck finding a new one. I did however, find a used one at Play it again sports" for $80. it is one of the White USSSA (OK for my league) Ones which I believe is a 2011 model. My questions is, I don't really know what to look for in a carbon fiber/composite bat. I know if it were aluminum I would be looking for denting etc. I don't know how to tell if this one still has pop or not. One thing I can tell you is it has definitely been used. most of the writing is still visible, but its definitely very scratched up and well used. In fact, the words "supermax" which I believe belong at the top, are no longer visible. I've heard composite bats get hotter with age. Does this stop at a certain age. What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind buying a new one, but I feel like with only 2 7 inning games a week for a month, then a tournament, I may not have time to break in a new one. Thanks in advance.

PPC#12

Manager
These guys are being D***s. Are you looking for a home run bat or a line drive bat. My psycho is a good home run bat. It has more pop than my blackouts but my blackouts have better exit speed for line drives. Good luck

Go for it with the used bat. There are better deals to be had out there but this is a good starting point for you and your team, especially considering how many games you have left in the season.
Main thing to check out in the bat is cracks in the barrel. As long as nothing looks nasty, you should be good to go.
And welcome to SBF.

kj13

Addicted to Softballfans
Feel and look for cracks brother. If you don't see any and have 80 bucks buy it. lol Why not ? it's 80 bucks. You can find great Utrip stick for about 100 bucks. Since you've swung this model bat and like it why not.

GVManny27

Addicted to Softballfans
Look at the bats on here, you will get a one brand new, have a warranty on it and not spend much more than you would for an old one that you don't know how it was treated. Plus if its a team bat it will get broken in quick. Do it right and buy it here and avoid the crap bats the ****s mostly has

daveccarsley

Wow, you guys are more concerned with verbally blowing Joker than helping me out. Awesome. PPC12, Redfuzzbutt, and KJ 13. Thank you guys! I appreciate the mentality of helping someone rather than good ole' boys club.

lordnlkon

Star Player
Wow, you guys are more concerned with verbally blowing Joker than helping me out. Awesome. PPC12, Redfuzzbutt, and KJ 13. Thank you guys! I appreciate the mentality of helping someone rather than good ole' boys club.

Look down at the selling bats section. You can find some pretty good bats in the $100-$120 range.

Last year's Easton L6 can be had for $100. It's a tank(since it'll be a team bat) and while not as hot as some of the more expensive bats, it's a pretty damn good bat.

If you aren't dead set on the psycho, go thru the bat selling section and get a few no return bats that don't cost a ton and see what you guys like. That will give you a starting point of what to look for as you continue. Good luck man

Hambo

Starting Player
To the original poster...

In all seriousness, there are a ton of reviews of bats in the manufacturer sections of this forum. It's worth your time to read through some of them. It's also not a terrible idea to look at the bat reviews that are included on this site. However, you will find much better information in the manufacturer section threads. I would also recommend talking to some of the other teams in your league. See what people are swinging... if someone is feeling charitable they might even let you take a couple of swings with their bat.

Once you've learned a little about the composite bats that are out there, take a look at the selling threads in the marketplace section. You should be able to find a ton of used, but still in very good condition, USSSA bats for around $100. Get some of the guys on your team to buy a bat as well or just pool your money. The best way to learn about the bats out there is to swing them.

Also... that Psycho that you're looking at is a very good bat. For $80, it's worth the money. Also, FYI "Super Max" means that it carries a 1 oz. end load. I don't recall if all the Psychos that year were SuperMaxs or if there were balanced models that year (I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer). One thing to keep in mind though... there is no magical bat that will turn you into an all-star hitter. Sure, high end bats outperform Hammers any day of the week but don't trick yourself into believing that there is just one bat that hits HR no matter who swings it.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Buy the Psycho and don't look back. If you're swinging Hammers now you guys will think you're cheating when you start swinging the old Psycho.

As posted earlier; check for cracks in the composite and a tight endcap. Scratches and wear happen, and don't effect the performance of the bat at all. Also, make sure it's a decent weight for a team bat, probably want 26, 27, or maybe 28 but probably not a 30. If it doesn't say Supermax it could be a balance version.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
A psycho will meet your needs for now, but check the weight. If its an all guys team, I would recommend a 28oz to start. Coed, you will need a 26oz as well.

Any newish composite bat is going to feel like gold after starting with hammers. All of the guys will figure out what weight to use on their own. Buy used to start. $80-120/bat should be about right. If you find one you think you might like, search for it in the forums before you buy it. After you pick up a pair of team bats, you can figure out if each guy is going to buy their own bat for next year, or if you want to pool the cash and buy some new sticks for the team.

daveccarsley

Well, I went out last night and got a brand new composite bat. I had totally forgotten about the $100.00 gift certificate my girlfriend had gotten me for my Birthday to MC Sports. After standing in the store, reading reviews on this site and others. I settled on a Worth "Sick" 454 Resmondo USSSA, 34", 27 oz. End Loaded composite. The reviews all seem to be extremely positive. The only bad thing was a couple people said that it broke after a year, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. What do you guys think? By the way, just so you know, I don't think buying a good bat is going to make the team win a Championship or anything, but I do know all the teams in this competitive league have 5 of them in their dugout, and I also know that it will be a little bit harder for infielders to catch ground balls that are going a little faster, and I know that the balls we hit that land 10' in front of the center field fence, now have a chance of going over. We're playing the league champions (4 years running) tonight. It is our second game against them this year. Their only loss this year (out of 20 games) is to us. We were NOT the better team, it was just an "any given Sunday" type of thing, where we had a very good inning, and they had a very bad one. So we'll see how it goes tonight.

That all being said. I did not come here to ask for your advice, and then not listen to it at all. I'm going to see if I can get Play It Again Sports to take $10 off for how beat up it is and buy the DC Psycho as well.

What do you guys think?

daveccarsley

i think you should learn to use paragraphs

I think you should learn to use punctuation and capital letters. This is evidenced by the fact that not a single one of the four idiotic, unintelligent, witless replies you've posted in this thread have been grammatically correct, or above a 3rd grade writing level for that matter.

I'm thankful that the geek in charge of programming the software which we are using instituted features such as the ignore list to combat mindless children such as yourself. These are to be utilized by the unfortunate people who arrive looking for help, and aren't interested in having to revert their brains to a pre-teen level of intelligence to get it. Unfortunately, there is some manner of malevolence inside of me which has always enjoyed watching ignorant, narcissistic people who think they are more interesting than they are make themselves look like idiots in the presence of others. Admittedly, it's not as much fun when the, to quote the scientific term, "TDOSWWTTAWCTTAA" (Total Douche On a Softball Website Who Thinks They Are Way Cooler Than They Actually Are), is hidden behind a keyboard, and I can't actually see them busting their balls on the fence, or falling off the crotch rocket trying to pop a wheelie. In the modern, virtual Douche Bag World though, We're forced to take what we can get.

Hang on just a moment before you type. Save yourself the keystrokes. I'll reply for you.

Joker:

"i kno you r but whut am i"

Joker

I think you should learn to use punctuation and capital letters. This is evidenced by the fact that not a single one of the four idiotic, unintelligent, witless replies you've posted in this thread have been grammatically correct, or above a 3rd grade writing level for that matter.

I'm thankful that the geek in charge of programming the software which we are using instituted features such as the ignore list to combat mindless children such as yourself. These are to be utilized by the unfortunate people who arrive looking for help, and aren't interested in having to revert their brains to a pre-teen level of intelligence to get it. Unfortunately, there is some manner of malevolence inside of me which has always enjoyed watching ignorant, narcissistic people who think they are more interesting than they are make themselves look like idiots in the presence of others. Admittedly, it's not as much fun when the, to quote the scientific term, "TDOSWWTTAWCTTAA" (Total Douche On a Softball Website Who Thinks They Are Way Cooler Than They Actually Are), is hidden behind a keyboard, and I can't actually see them busting their balls on the fence, or falling off the crotch rocket trying to pop a wheelie. In the modern, virtual Douche Bag World though, We're forced to take what we can get.

Hang on just a moment before you type. Save yourself the keystrokes. I'll reply for you.

Joker:

"i kno you r but whut am i"

its annoying reading a large wall of text, but you chose to go the route of bragging about your intelligence in another large wall of text. smart move

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
I have two Pschos...the Denny Crine 2011 and the Izzy 2014. The 2011 seems to be more of a tank than the 2014 as the 2014 has started developing the rattle after just two seasons. They are both great bats and if you can pick up the 2011 for league with minimal bat restrictions, you should jump on it.

If you have no stamp restrictions for league, you might want to look into finding a Miken NRG 600.