Full Overlap Grip

IDP

Part Time Player
The best way to learn and get use to it... Is hit off a tee... Maybe 100/200 hits a few times in a week... Grab the bat with you front hand and just push your hand with the top hand to hit the ball off the tee... If you do this and then go overlap it will feel natural and and have more control... Its the way I learned...

your top hand is just pushing on your bottom hand right, and not guiding the handle? thats why its tough for me to see how guys are able to place hits and go oppo easily unless you are using a bat light enough that you can completely control with just the bottom hand. otherwise the barrel might drop below the hands and cause pop ups...i think...im trying to visualize the mechanics of this because the only time ive tried to overlap is dropping the pinky and ring finger of my top hand. the result was some really hard liners and grounders that i had no idea where they were going lol.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Top hand is basically only there to change angle of the barrel, bottom hand generates almost all the whip. As a righty I pull the bat through with my left arm, and use my right hand to line things up.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
your top hand is just pushing on your bottom hand right, and not guiding the handle? thats why its tough for me to see how guys are able to place hits and go oppo easily unless you are using a bat light enough that you can completely control with just the bottom hand. otherwise the barrel might drop below the hands and cause pop ups...i think...im trying to visualize the mechanics of this because the only time ive tried to overlap is dropping the pinky and ring finger of my top hand. the result was some really hard liners and grounders that i had no idea where they were going lol.

That's what I initially tried and had troubles with. You have to get over thinking you can control the bat head with your grip. Top hand is just there to push on the bottom hand and create more bat speed.

Bottom hand pulls the knob across the body to the ball. It doesn't guide the bat head by gripping the handle. The bottom hand pulls the knob towards where you want the bat head to snap.

Trying to control the bat head with your grip holds you back allowing the bat head to drop causing pop ups and overall crappy performance.

Imagine you're trying to swing a wet noodle or a piece or rope. Can't just grab it, muscle up, and swing like an ape. Have to grab the base and pull in the direction you want to go fast enough to snap the other end around.

Next time you're taking bp and try it, remember it's better to fully commit to the mechanics of the swing and miss the ball than holding back to make contact. You'll eventually get the timing and placement right to make consistent contact. Then it's just a matter of practice and refinement.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans

Yes! Just push your bottom hand with your top hand.. Make sure you have a durable tee though lol... That is the best way to get use to it... You will see...

Top hand is basically only there to change angle of the barrel, bottom hand generates almost all the whip. As a righty I pull the bat through with my left arm, and use my right hand to line things up.

That's what I initially tried and had troubles with. You have to get over thinking you can control the bat head with your grip. Top hand is just there to push on the bottom hand and create more bat speed.

Bottom hand pulls the knob across the body to the ball. It doesn't guide the bat head by gripping the handle. The bottom hand pulls the knob towards where you want the bat head to snap.

Trying to control the bat head with your grip holds you back allowing the bat head to drop causing pop ups and overall crappy performance.

Imagine you're trying to swing a wet noodle or a piece or rope. Can't just grab it, muscle up, and swing like an ape. Have to grab the base and pull in the direction you want to go fast enough to snap the other end around.

Next time you're taking bp and try it, remember it's better to fully commit to the mechanics of the swing and miss the ball than holding back to make contact. You'll eventually get the timing and placement right to make consistent contact. Then it's just a matter of practice and refinement.

These guys get it... Huzzy gave me this info... Pull with your bottom hand and snap with your top hand...

Hambo

Starting Player
As someone who is working on learning to use an overlap grip and get a better snapping motion... THANK YOU to all the guys who posted tips and pointers. Much appreciated.

I've been working on getting my legs and hips in sync with my hands to get better rotational force but still can't seem to get the same exit speed on the ball I see other guys getting. I'm thinking that working on the overlap grip will help me get this... am I on the right track?

BOLTMAN21

Manager
I started overlapping about 2 years ago... I couldn't go back to conventional grip again... Feels awkward... I did how ever go to interlocking overlap... Helped me gain some of the control I lost with a traditional overlap... The best of both worlds to be honest... Also forces you to keep your hands loose and let go of the bat with your top hand on follow through... Because if you don't, it will hurt your fingers... If you do it properly you won't feel a thing... I picked it up from a local C player who sprays the field and rakes at will... Best hitter I've seen... I'm not no all star hitter... But it's been the most consistent hitting I've had since I've been playing ball.... Takes some BP to get use too...

How do you interlock? I might need to try this. I noticed every once in a while I wont release my top hand and hit a weak pop up. Anything that would help me release everytime would be something to look at..

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
As someone who is working on learning to use an overlap grip and get a better snapping motion... THANK YOU to all the guys who posted tips and pointers. Much appreciated.

I've been working on getting my legs and hips in sync with my hands to get better rotational force but still can't seem to get the same exit speed on the ball I see other guys getting. I'm thinking that working on the overlap grip will help me get this... am I on the right track?

Might... it will basically force you to "go for it" every swing and adjust while going for it rather than trying to make adjustments within your swing if that makes sense. Get your forward motion down in bp while you don't have to worry about missing the ball, timing will come after you get your swing right.

Remember to keep your hands close to your torso while pulling the knob to the ball. Should be able to stand with your belly button 34" away from a fence and swing without hitting the fence. I double check myself occasionally at 35"ish for the bat's sake cause I'm not an uber badass.

Hambo

Starting Player
Might... it will basically force you to "go for it" every swing and adjust while going for it rather than trying to make adjustments within your swing if that makes sense. Get your forward motion down in bp while you don't have to worry about missing the ball, timing will come after you get your swing right.

Remember to keep your hands close to your torso while pulling the knob to the ball. Should be able to stand with your belly button 34" away from a fence and swing without hitting the fence. I double check myself occasionally at 35"ish for the bat's sake cause I'm not an uber badass.

Thanks. I've found some good cages and am going to head there this afternoon. I've been doing well with getting good forward motion and driving my hips open but I'm still hitting way too many pop-ups. I'd like to drive the ball better.

So, regarding your second point... are you saying that your hands are up and in against your body? You don't extend your lead arm? I don't quite follow you...

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Thanks. I've found some good cages and am going to head there this afternoon. I've been doing well with getting good forward motion and driving my hips open but I'm still hitting way too many pop-ups. I'd like to drive the ball better.

So, regarding your second point... are you saying that your hands are up and in against your body? You don't extend your lead arm? I don't quite follow you...

I post this vid a lot, it shows how your hands should go to the ball. He's not using overlap grip but it's the best video demonstration of keeping hands close and moving them forward. Your arms extend forward, not out.

Good info starts around 2:20 and he explains it well through 4:30

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud2dcxrroWY[/ame]

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
And you still suck! LOL jk Ken! when are you guys coming back to Sac?

I haven't heard anything since that last tourney, lol, went about as bad as it possibly could have. Only saving grace is half the team was subs but we still played worse than what we should have. One way or another, would like to get back to Sac in the next month.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
my girl did a full overlap on my wang this morning. im not even kidding

i drop pinkie and do half overlap when it comes to batting. i feel like i maintain more bat control than full overlap

sacto73

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't heard anything since that last tourney, lol, went about as bad as it possibly could have. Only saving grace is half the team was subs but we still played worse than what we should have. One way or another, would like to get back to Sac in the next month.

your lucky you didnt make it to the ship! the field we were on all day, lights didn't work on the outfield! We had to wait for the lower ship to finish. we started at 10:30pm. Are you guys qualified for NSA Worlds? Got moved to Sac 8/16.

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
your lucky you didnt make it to the ship! the field we were on all day, lights didn't work on the outfield! We had to wait for the lower ship to finish. we started at 10:30pm

Hell no, I was debating on leaving midway through the day after one of the guys started talking about cutting out to go swimming and drinking.

Won a tourney in Molesto several weeks back and it was torture. Final game we had a guy go down in the OF with leg cramps and the others were fighting it. Got lucky the other team had no idea how bad we were hurting. I'm good if we get in 5 games.

Awesome you guys made it to the ship, that team has come a long ways, good to see some of the guys like you, Eddie, and Anthony still there and doing well. You guys ever play BLD?

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
How do you interlock? I might need to try this. I noticed every once in a while I wont release my top hand and hit a weak pop up. Anything that would help me release everytime would be something to look at..

I grab the knob of the bat with my left hand, pinky off... I put my index finger on my bottom hand, between my middle finger and ring finger on my top hand...

I don't wrap my top hands, "middle finger and index finger" around the handle... I lay them on top of my hand like you would a full overlap...

The added control you get is from the index finger on the bottom hand interlocking the top hand... Kind of confusing, but it's the best way I can explain it...

I find it kind of funny because I see quite a few guys doing it out here in AZ now... I think the same guy that gave them the advice, is the same guy who gave me the advice... Everybody knows him out here... So I guess you could say it's starting to trend now lol!

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
your lucky you didnt make it to the ship! the field we were on all day, lights didn't work on the outfield! We had to wait for the lower ship to finish. we started at 10:30pm. Are you guys qualified for NSA Worlds? Got moved to Sac 8/16.

Hell no, I was debating on leaving midway through the day after one of the guys started talking about cutting out to go swimming and drinking.

Won a tourney in Molesto several weeks back and it was torture. Final game we had a guy go down in the OF with leg cramps and the others were fighting it. Got lucky the other team had no idea how bad we were hurting. I'm good if we get in 5 games.

Awesome you guys made it to the ship, that team has come a long ways, good to see some of the guys like you, Eddie, and Anthony still there and doing well. You guys ever play BLD?

Y'all every play against that team from the Bay, Olympic Club?

BOLTMAN21

Manager
I grab the knob of the bat with my left hand, pinky off... I put my index finger on my bottom hand, between my middle finger and ring finger on my top hand...

I don't wrap my top hands, "middle finger and index finger" around the handle... I lay them on top of my hand like you would a full overlap...

The added control you get is from the index finger on the bottom hand interlocking the top hand... Kind of confusing, but it's the best way I can explain it...

I find it kind of funny because I see quite a few guys doing it out here in AZ now... I think the same guy that gave them the advice, is the same guy who gave me the advice... Everybody knows him out here... So I guess you could say it's starting to trend now lol!

Thanks. Just tried it with a bat. Feels like I would need to relearn my overlap again. I hold my bat like Helmer (but righty) The thumb/index circle on top hand helps me control the bat better. I'll try the "AZ interlock" in bp and see how it feels. Ha

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks. Just tried it with a bat. Feels like I would need to relearn my overlap again. I hold my bat like Helmer (but righty) The thumb/index circle on top hand helps me control the bat better. I'll try the "AZ interlock" in bp and see how it feels. Ha

Try it bro... Just keep your hands loose and make sure you let go of the bat... If you don't it won't tickle lol!

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the same grip as you & oppo is all about pitch location.....for me if it is hip high & outside it goes oppo - trying to force anything else that way does not work for me.....

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans

Bolt, this is not the exact example of what Phx was talking about but its pretty close just to give you a visual.....

BOLTMAN21

Manager

Bolt, this is not the exact example of what Phx was talking about but its pretty close just to give you a visual.....

I saw few different variations of it on a google search. Mainly see the one where they wrap the middle and index on top hand around handle. Does this work with batting gloves??

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
I use that exact grip from the pic with Palmgard batting gloves, which are very thick and padded. Gives you power+ good control.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all individual = I like the thin Mizuno gloves with the lizard/spider like grip - but I never have liked thick handled bats.....

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw few different variations of it on a google search. Mainly see the one where they wrap the middle and index on top hand around handle. Does this work with batting gloves??

I use the mechanix impact gloves... They sell them at Walmart for 25$... Been using the same pair for about 5 months now...
I would suggest not wrapping the fingers around the handle... I think you get more whip with the fingers on your hand...?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Y'all every play against that team from the Bay, Olympic Club?

I have no idea, I don't run the team and try to stay far away as possible from anything related lol.

I think the only team name I heard we were up against was VHO(what it sounded like). All 3 teams we played were solid though, couple teams there were put together thinking it was unlimited HR's and were upset when it was changed to 1 an inning.

What I thought was the weakest of the 3 we played was that VHO(?) team and they ended up winning the whole thing. They had 14 guys that were all light and fast, imagine their legs held up better than the guys that were a little more bulked up.