Full Overlap Grip

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the mechanix impact gloves... They sell them at Walmart for 25$... Been using the same pair for about 5 months now...
I would suggest not wrapping the fingers around the handle... I think you get more whip with the fingers on your hand...?

Don't know about that - have a buddy in Florida that only puts his two index fingers on the bat with hands almost completely below the handle and he kills the ball.....pure power.....

Hambo

Starting Player
Alright, did a full BP session last Friday, about 200-250 cuts in a cage, nothing but overlap grip...

It took me about 50 cuts to figure out what the hell I was doing. The first 10 or so I could only swing about 50% and then started going full speed. It was about after the 50 cut mark that the lightbulb went off in my head and I understood what that video (and others that I've seen) meant by throwing your hands and the knob of the bat at the ball. I started to do that and combine the rotational stuff I learned from the Swing Makeover series and was hitting some pretty wicked liners. It was seriously a revelation to see that when I would time my hips right that it basically snapped my bat around for me.

At first I had the cages to myself... which was a good thing because it was probably about my 3rd full speed cut with the overlap grip that the bat flew right out of my hands... ha ha ha. I was also saying that "ba-boom" thing from the video to help me to remember to load up my hips. About halfway through my BP session this other guy showed up and by then I was swinging really well so the guy actually tried to recruit me for his team.

I have a pretty wicked blister on my left hand (I'm a righty) but I left there feeling pretty good about how I was hitting the ball. It's gonna take some more time for sure but I think I'm on the right track.

Big time thank you to everyone who has posted helpful stuff on this thread!

Space_cadet

Star Player
Never used an overlap grip before. Maybe once for a practice swing but it felt like the bat was going to fly out of my hand. Yesterday we were playing the worst team in our league and I figured id give an overlap grip a try....I'm not really a hard hitting guy. Never hit a homerun before...First AB I sent the ball to the top of the fence. The hardest hit I've ever had. A pure frozen rope. My second AB I put one over the fence, and then some. The rest of my ABs I got too excited to hit another one out. I either popped up or hit hard grounders. Defiantly going to stick with an overlap grip from now on.

For my overlap grip on my bottom hand I dropped the pinky below the knob, top hand I had pinky, ring and middle finger overlapped and my index and thumb making a circle

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Alright, did a full BP session last Friday, about 200-250 cuts in a cage, nothing but overlap grip...

It took me about 50 cuts to figure out what the hell I was doing. The first 10 or so I could only swing about 50% and then started going full speed. It was about after the 50 cut mark that the lightbulb went off in my head and I understood what that video (and others that I've seen) meant by throwing your hands and the knob of the bat at the ball. I started to do that and combine the rotational stuff I learned from the Swing Makeover series and was hitting some pretty wicked liners. It was seriously a revelation to see that when I would time my hips right that it basically snapped my bat around for me.

At first I had the cages to myself... which was a good thing because it was probably about my 3rd full speed cut with the overlap grip that the bat flew right out of my hands... ha ha ha. I was also saying that "ba-boom" thing from the video to help me to remember to load up my hips. About halfway through my BP session this other guy showed up and by then I was swinging really well so the guy actually tried to recruit me for his team.

I have a pretty wicked blister on my left hand (I'm a righty) but I left there feeling pretty good about how I was hitting the ball. It's gonna take some more time for sure but I think I'm on the right track.

Big time thank you to everyone who has posted helpful stuff on this thread!

That's how it worked for me also.

Far as the blister goes, if it's from gripping too tight that's bad, if it's from the knob working into your hand that's normal.

Hambo

Starting Player
That's how it worked for me also.

Far as the blister goes, if it's from gripping too tight that's bad, if it's from the knob working into your hand that's normal.

It's on my pointer finger so I'm guessing that it's from gripping too tight? Could also just be from taking ~250 cuts in like an hour and a half...

I feel like if I gripped the bat any more loosely with my left hand I'm gonna decapitate a pitcher with my bat

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I get a weird blister on my L hand as well, but it's between my fingers. It's on my middle finger, in between it and my L ring finger.....annoys the crap out of me. I drop my pinky off, and my ring finger goes on the knob......I recently put a tapered grip on it so I am hoping that does away with the blister

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
No, I don't

It has to be the top of the knob that's doing it the way I hold the bat.......I'm hoping the tapered knob cuff I put on it will help

LREsoftball65

Addicted to Softballfans
Pretty good info here, I have been dropping my pinky off the knob since i started playing softball because I have big hands and I always felt "locked up" with my pinky butted up against the knob. The full overlap deal is pretty interesting and something I am going to try.

Hambo

Starting Player
Okay, first league night using my new grip...

Played in 3 games and went 6 for 9 with 4 doubles and 2 singles. 1 of my outs was caught at the wall... I really thought it was going out :(

I don't know if it was the change in grip or just all the work I have been putting in lately but I was hitting the ball so much better than in the past couple of weeks. Line drives were leaving my bat so much faster and even the ground balls I was hitting were moving too fast for the infield to reach.

So now I've got a little routing I go through in my head before every pitch: make sure my grip is comfortable, set my feet, read the pitch, load my hips, throw my hands at the ball, and then snap/rotate my hips open. What's crazy is that the 2 ABs where I hit lazy popflys, I know I didn't go through my routine.

So here's my last question about this grip. Has anyone else had to go down in bat weight since using this grip? I had been swinging a 28 oz. DC41 but now find myself reaching for a 27 oz. Worth 454. The 28 oz. DC41 just feels too heavy and I don't feel like I get the control I want. I'm curious if I should be trying lighter bats?

NoNameJames

Star Player
Okay, first league night using my new grip...

Played in 3 games and went 6 for 9 with 4 doubles and 2 singles. 1 of my outs was caught at the wall... I really thought it was going out :(

I don't know if it was the change in grip or just all the work I have been putting in lately but I was hitting the ball so much better than in the past couple of weeks. Line drives were leaving my bat so much faster and even the ground balls I was hitting were moving too fast for the infield to reach.

So now I've got a little routing I go through in my head before every pitch: make sure my grip is comfortable, set my feet, read the pitch, load my hips, throw my hands at the ball, and then snap/rotate my hips open. What's crazy is that the 2 ABs where I hit lazy popflys, I know I didn't go through my routine.

So here's my last question about this grip. Has anyone else had to go down in bat weight since using this grip? I had been swinging a 28 oz. DC41 but now find myself reaching for a 27 oz. Worth 454. The 28 oz. DC41 just feels too heavy and I don't feel like I get the control I want. I'm curious if I should be trying lighter bats?

Good info man. As far as weight, its probably because you are really only holding the bat with 3-4 fingers as opposed to two hands. But again, whatever works for you. This grip takes a lot of practice, I've been doing a few hundred swings a week for the past month and I still have a long way to go as far as placement etc.

Hambo

Starting Player
Good info man. As far as weight, its probably because you are really only holding the bat with 3-4 fingers as opposed to two hands. But again, whatever works for you. This grip takes a lot of practice, I've been doing a few hundred swings a week for the past month and I still have a long way to go as far as placement etc.

Yeah, I'm trying to take 250-500 swings a week to work on this. I'm still only really able to either shoot it back up the center of the field or pull it to LF. I can't go oppo at all and am working on figuring out placement for popflys vs. liners. I'm just gonna keep practicing and try to perfect it.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
Love my overlap. Switched last year. Power numbers are way up. I had trouble with feeling like the bat was gonna fly outta my hands too. I bought wide receiver gloves and that helped a ton. Combined with a knob cuff and now I have no worries.

jhitman

So I have been working on this and have finally gotten it down pretty damn good. It almost feels like cheating! Its a game changer and in combination with a solid bat, game over. Up until now I use full overlap for power hitting and partial (2 fingers) for base hits and need to work on using to go oppo. Any tips on going oppo with full overlap?

Grip shouldn't make a difference in going opposite field. Stand off the plate, up in the box and wait on the pitch a little longer and you should have no problem. I've used the overlap grip for about 7-8 years now. The leverage and bat whip are far superior to a regular grip. Maybe just a little less bat control though.

NoNameJames

Star Player
Grip shouldn't make a difference in going opposite field. Stand off the plate, up in the box and wait on the pitch a little longer and you should have no problem. I've used the overlap grip for about 7-8 years now. The leverage and bat whip are far superior to a regular grip. Maybe just a little less bat control though.

I'm digging the avatar. A little throw back to 90's hot. Remember Jennifer Love Huget*ts? Oh yea....

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
When you guys refer to "full overlap" you are referring to your top hand being on the handle none, and completely on top of your bottom hand, correct?

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll have to try that.

Right now on my top hand I put my index and middle on the handle, overlap my ring and pinky

I'll have to try that.

Right now on my top hand I put my index and middle on the handle, overlap my ring and pinky

This is how I still do it as well. Slowly working towards it. I have not yet had time to work on the full overlap though I hope to bp enough this winter to get comfortable with it for next year.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I played around with the full a little this morning, feels different, that's for sure. I can tell the bat is much "looser" in my hands - which is a good thing. Feels a little strange dry swinging, I'm sure when there's a ball coming in you don't notice it as much.

Gotta figure out what to do with my thumbs.... they seem out of place. I've tried crossing them, having my L thumb point up the bat towards the cap, none of it feels quite right...... the most comfortable way I found while holding it just sounds awkward.... L hand is: pinky off, ring finger on the knob, middle finger on the handle, thumb is on the knob. Index finger up, R hand overlap, and my L index finger rests between my R index and middle finger's knuckle.....my R index finger rests on my L ring finger's knuckle, and my R middle, ring and pinky are on the bottom of my L hand' ring finger, touching the bottom of the knob..... you'll prob have try it to see what I am doing....lol

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Bottom hand thumb is somewhat awkward, I've tweaked mine several times when I don't make sure I grab the bat right. I have the bat tilted forward in my hands, keep the thumb sucked in and landing on my middle finger, index finger isn't really involved just there.

lx_2nv

Coach
She is coming back to TV this fall on a show called criminal minds. good show - I am now setting it up to DVR...

BOLTMAN21

Manager
I played around with the full a little this morning, feels different, that's for sure. I can tell the bat is much "looser" in my hands - which is a good thing. Feels a little strange dry swinging, I'm sure when there's a ball coming in you don't notice it as much.

Gotta figure out what to do with my thumbs.... they seem out of place. I've tried crossing them, having my L thumb point up the bat towards the cap, none of it feels quite right...... the most comfortable way I found while holding it just sounds awkward.... L hand is: pinky off, ring finger on the knob, middle finger on the handle, thumb is on the knob. Index finger up, R hand overlap, and my L index finger rests between my R index and middle finger's knuckle.....my R index finger rests on my L ring finger's knuckle, and my R middle, ring and pinky are on the bottom of my L hand' ring finger, touching the bottom of the knob..... you'll prob have try it to see what I am doing....lol

Try it like Helmer does here bro. (Assuming your righty switch to appropriate hands) I used to do a semi overlap like Rusty but find Helmer's grip worked better for me with some bp. Form a ring with index and thumb on top hand. Has helped me hit harder.

[ame]http://youtu.be/eE7UgzrE-a0[/ame]

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ Thanks. I hold it just like Rusty does now. I'll try dry swinging the other way in a few. Nice to see it....lol

jhitman

She is coming back to TV this fall on a show called criminal minds. good show - I am now setting it up to DVR...

I've seen the show Criminal Minds and I like the show. She is only going to make the show more enjoyable to watch.

jhitman

^^^ Thanks. I hold it just like Rusty does now. I'll try dry swinging the other way in a few. Nice to see it....lol

The first time I tried the overlap grip the bat flew out of my hands. It takes some time to get use to, but once you get it down, you won't be disappointed.

Jammer

Coach
Have there ever been any MLB players that use the overlap grip? Just wondering because I agree, it's a better way to grip the bat.